* Re: NYU ADA QUESTION!!!
@ 1993-04-15 22:04 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1993-04-15 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin V. Sobilo (sobi0268@mary.cs.fredonia.edu) wrote:

>  I am trying to use NYU Ada for a project to create a set of
> facilities or packages to allow TCP/IP programming in Ada.  We wish
> to provide some nice facilities to program concurrent network
> applications etc... Well, NYU Ada (adaed) doesnt seem to implement
> UNCHECKED_CONVERSION or SYSTEM packages.... Can anyone tell me if
> this is true????

The source of System, Text_Io, ... is in the file src/predef.ada.
Unfortunately the text of Unchecked_Conversion is ..

generic
   type SOURCE is limited private;
   type TARGET is limited private;
function UNCHECKED_CONVERSION(S : SOURCE) return TARGET;
function UNCHECKED_CONVERSION(S : SOURCE) return TARGET is
NOT_USED_ANYWAY: TARGET;
begin
   raise PROGRAM_ERROR;
   return NOT_USED_ANYWAY;
end;

.. so I guess there's some work to do there. Obviously the body needs to
be implemented in the host language :-)

--
Simon Wright
Ferranti International, Defence Systems Integration

* Re: NYU ADA QUESTION!!!
@ 1993-04-16 13:33 Jonathan Schilling
From: Jonathan Schilling @ 1993-04-16 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <memo.133371@cix.compulink.co.uk> sjwright@cix.compulink.co.uk write
s:

>Kevin V. Sobilo (sobi0268@mary.cs.fredonia.edu) wrote:
>>
>>  I am trying to use NYU Ada for a project to create a set of
>> facilities or packages to allow TCP/IP programming in Ada.  We wish
>> to provide some nice facilities to program concurrent network
>> applications etc... Well, NYU Ada (adaed) doesnt seem to implement
>> UNCHECKED_CONVERSION or SYSTEM packages.... Can anyone tell me if
>> this is true????
>
>The source of System, Text_Io, ... is in the file src/predef.ada.
>Unfortunately the text of Unchecked_Conversion is ..
>
>generic
>   type SOURCE is limited private;
>   type TARGET is limited private;
>function UNCHECKED_CONVERSION(S : SOURCE) return TARGET;
>function UNCHECKED_CONVERSION(S : SOURCE) return TARGET is
>NOT_USED_ANYWAY: TARGET;
>begin
>   raise PROGRAM_ERROR;
>   return NOT_USED_ANYWAY;
>end;
>
>.. so I guess there's some work to do there. Obviously the body needs to
>be implemented in the host language :-)

DDC-I's Ada compilers implement UNCHECKED_CONVERSION "by magic" inside the
compiler; the actual library unit is a dummy that isn't really used.  I don't
know the details of the NYU Ada compiler, but it may work the same, the
"NOT_USED_ANYWAY" variable name would seem to suggest so.

--
Jonathan Schilling
DDC-I, Inc.