From: pacbell.com!att-out!cbnewsh!cbnewse!cbnewsd!cbnewsc!cbfsb!cbnews!cbnewst! cbnewsm!cbnewsl!willett@decwrl.dec.com  (david.c.willett)
Subject: Re: Pascal or C as a first lang
Date: 10 Sep 93 16:03:26 GMT	[thread overview]

>From article <1993Sep10.005836.27727@seas.gwu.edu>, by mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (
Michael Feldman):
> Please take discussion of this to comp.edu.
>
> Mike Feldman
	{Mike's .sig deleted}

Why?  The pedagogical componenent of this debate is probably more appropriate
there, but I see a larger issue.  That being: Which development paradigm is
more universially appropriate?  We have the Ada/Pascal paradigm or the C
paradigm.  I think it would be productive to characterize both paradigms
and develop the application universe for each.  I believe that discussion
belongs in this group as we seem to return to it frequently.

	It comes disguised as a language war "C/C++ vs. Ada because...",
or as a "C has <semantic_construct> while Ada doesn't..." and several other
forms.  I don't recall seeing any discussions of the form:

	Here is a specification of system requirements.  Design, implement,
	and maintain a solution for this specification using C++, C, Ada,
	and Pascal.  Compare/contrast the implementation and the maintenance.

Perhaps such a discussion cannot occur here.  Nonetheless, the exercise
would, in my view, be useful for all; Ada proponents and detractors alike.

Note:
	The two paradigms are not language specific, but rather are
	tied to the design philosophies underlying the languages.
	Understanding the paradigms requires appreciating those
	philosophies.

Dave Willett          AT&T Federal Systems Advanced Technologies

The biggest mistake you can make is to believe that you work for someone else.

			-- Anonymous