From: bobduff@dsd.camb.inmet.com (Bob Duff)
Subject: Re: HELP
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 14:56:29 GMT
Date: 1994-10-15T14:56:29+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <37m0k6$pb8@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>Time for another reminder. It is useless to ask questions about features
>like this that are implementation dependent unless you tell us what
>compiler you are using, what version, what operating system, what
>machine etc.

The question was:

In article <Cxn8J2.HxJ@eng_ser1.erg.cuhk.hk> chhung2@cuse1.se.cuhk.hk (Chiu Bo (Hung Chiu Hung)) writes:
>Could any body tell me how to detect keyboard input without waiting for
>the carrier return.

Robert,

Grr.  The above is a perfectly reasonable question.  There's no need to
try to make this person feel like a fool for not knowing that there's no
standard way to do it.  In fact there *should* be a standard way to do
it, and there *is* such a way in Ada 9X.

Sorry for the flame, but you've taken this tone before, expecting people
to know exactly what is part of the language and what is part of the
operating system.

;-)

In Ada 83, the answer is, "It depends on the compiler and operating
system."  In Ada 94, the answer is to use Get_Immediate, which is
documented in RM9X-A.10.7 (version 5.0).

- Bob
--
Bob Duff                                bobduff@inmet.com
Oak Tree Software, Inc.