* Re: A MITRE measure of the future of Ada
@ 1993-04-27 21:44 David Emery
From: David Emery @ 1993-04-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

MITRE does work for sponsors other than the DoD.  And, not all of
MITRE's DoD work is required to use Ada.  Sometimes there are good
reasons for adopting other technologies (and sometimes not).

I am getting sick and tired of these ad-hominem attacks on MITRE.

Greg, don't hold your breath waiting for MITRE to call you.

				dave

* Re: A MITRE measure of the future of Ada
@ 1993-04-29 14:04 John Cobarruvias
From: John Cobarruvias @ 1993-04-29 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93Apr27150931@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com
(Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>    Like the debate between Communism and Capitalism was best resolved
>with how people voted with their feet (i.e. escaping across the Iron
>Curtain), so too can the language debate be best resolved with how
>people vote with their own money (i.e. spending outside the Mandate
>Curtain).
>
>   Case in point, the MITRE corporation, an Air Force sponsored think
>tank, which puts forth a few valiant defenders of Ada policy such as
>Bob and Dave.  However looking beyond their words, we see a different
>message coming from MITRE: that the future only has a small role for Ada.
>The April 18 and 25 Boston Sunday Globes have help wanted ads from MITRE
-
>"Visions of the Future become reality at MITRE"  (hey I could use a job,
>maybe I should apply!).  In the body of the ad, appears the job openings,
>as follows (only the language specific ones listed).
>
>NETWORK MANAGEMENT:  C, Unix, TCP/IP RDBMS, WIndows, ADI
>ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: Lisp, Object Oriented Programming, COTS
Integration
>SOFTWARE ENGINEERS: Ada, C, Unix, MilStd2167
>MS WINDOWS SOFTWARE ENGINEER: C++, OSI, SQL
>
>"Bring to life the next generation of technology, which will influence
the
>strategic direction of the entire country".  Subtracting out Ada stuff
for
>Mandated work, and I guess MITRE is telling the rest of the world that
Ada
>has no role in the strategic direction of the entire country.  I wonder
what
>they tell the Air Force and the DoD.

Hum, with this logic, Fortran, COBOL, Assm, etc and any other language is
doomed!

>Look at what they do, not what they say.
>
>617-489-3727 - call me I could use the work.

Have you thought of becoming an investment planner?

>Greg
>--

>Greg Aharonian
>Source Translation & Optimiztion
>P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

John R. Cobarruvias, Texas A&M Class of '78,
NASA Johnson Space Center Houston Tx.
(713)483-9357

"Your pain will be legendary" (Hellraiser I)
"And to think..................I hesitated" (Hellraiser II)
"These pins are killing me!" (Pinhead in Hellraiser IV)