* Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-04-29  2:09 Alex Blakemore
From: Alex Blakemore @ 1993-04-29  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I criticized one of our excellent admin people for using ADA instead of Ada,
and received the following reply.

> According to the Webster NewWorld Dictionary of Computer Terms, 1988
> edition, ADA is **very** acceptable.

Well, either we're all wrong - and so is the Ada LRM.
or Webster's needs a revision.

--
Alex Blakemore       alex@cs.umd.edu        NeXT mail accepted
"Without an engaged and motivated human being at the keyboard,

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-04-29 14:15 David Emery
From: David Emery @ 1993-04-29 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Remember, "Ada" is a proper name, while FORTRAN, COBOL and BASIC are
acronyms.  (What does that make "C"?)
				dave

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-04-29 15:10 Robert Kitzberger
From: Robert Kitzberger @ 1993-04-29 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

emery@goldfinger.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:

>Remember, "Ada" is a proper name, while FORTRAN, COBOL and BASIC are
>acronyms.  (What does that make "C"?)
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Of course, it's a self-referential acronym...

	.Bob.
Bob Kitzberger                          Internet:   rlk@rational.com
Rational, Grass Valley, CA              CompuServe: 70743,1550
type Opinion is private;

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-04-29 16:45 Eric H Seale
From: Eric H Seale @ 1993-04-29 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

alex@cs.umd.edu (Alex Blakemore) writes:
>> According to the Webster NewWorld Dictionary of Computer Terms, 1988
>> edition, ADA is **very** acceptable.
>Well, either we're all wrong - and so is the Ada LRM.
>or Webster's needs a revision.

I vote for option B -- "ADA" would be swell if it were an acronym, but
it ain't.  "Ada" is a real-live (if somewhat uncommon) human name, and
ought (IMHO) to be spelled like one.

Eric (not ERIC) Seale
seale@pogo.den.mmc.com

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-04-29 19:52 Art Duncan
From: Art Duncan @ 1993-04-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <EMERY.93Apr29091552@goldfinger.mitre.org>, emery@goldfinger.mitre.o
rg (David Emery) writes:
|> Remember, "Ada" is a proper name, while FORTRAN, COBOL and BASIC are
|> acronyms.  (What does that make "C"?)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The successor of "B".

|> 				dave

	- Art

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-04-29 21:42 David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1993-04-29 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

org (David Emery) writes:
>|> Remember, "Ada" is a proper name, while FORTRAN, COBOL and BASIC are
>|> acronyms.  (What does that make "C"?)
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>The successor of "B".

Which ought to have been followed by P but was actually followed by C++.

The sequence, of course, is BCPL - Basic Cambridge Programming Language.

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-05-01  9:49 Andrew Dunstan,,2285592,
From: Andrew Dunstan,,2285592, @ 1993-05-01  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From article <C69GJ6.8Js@crdnns.crd.ge.com>, by duncan@sunup.NoSubdomain.NoDom
ain (Art Duncan):
> |> Remember, "Ada" is a proper name, while FORTRAN, COBOL and BASIC are
> |> acronyms.  (What does that make "C"?)
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The successor of "B".

Or, as we say in Ada:

	Language'succ('B')

:-)

keep smiling
#  Andrew Dunstan                   #   There's nothing good or bad   #
#  net:                             #                                 #
#    adunstan@steptoe.adl.csa.oz.au #   but thinking makes it so.     #
#  or: andrewd@cs.adelaide.edu.au   #                                 #

* Re: Its ADA not Ada after all
@ 1993-05-07 13:25 Bjarne Stroustrup
From: Bjarne Stroustrup @ 1993-05-07 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > In article 8Js@crdnns.crd.ge.com, duncan@sunup.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Art Dun
can) writes:
 > >The successor of "B".
 > >
 > Which ought to have been followed by P but was actually followed by C++.
 >
 > The sequence, of course, is BCPL - Basic Cambridge Programming Language.

BCPL is Basic CPL where CPL has had several interpretations over the years.
C==Cambridge is one but after CPL became a joint project with Imperial
College London C==Combined was a more polite interpretation. Real old-times
point to C==Christopher (Stratchy) as the most reasonable interpretation.