* Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-26 13:33 Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-26 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone tell me why the queue package below won't compile?

I'm running ObjectADA Version 7.2 Special Edition, since GNAT won't run on
my machine.

The compiler keeps throwing up "Error: Line 9, col 39 Parse error: expected
COLON, got IN, Inserting COLON.

The line in question is: " procedure Remove(N:  out Integer;  Q: in out
Queue); "

Any ideas? I'm stumped if this is actually a syntactical problem.

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

------

package queue_package is

 TYPE queue is LIMITED PRIVATE;
 empty_queue   :   EXCEPTION;

 procedure initialise (q:  in out queue);
 function is_empty_queue (q:  queue) return boolean;
 procedure add(n:  in integer;  q:  in out queue);
 procedure remove(n:  out integer;  q: in out queue);
 --remove raises the exception "empty-queue" if applied to an empty queue

 PRIVATE
 TYPE node;
 TYPE link is ACCESS node;   --ACCESS is a pointer type
 TYPE node is RECORD
  value   :     integer;
  next    :   link :=NULL;
 END RECORD;

 TYPE queue is RECORD
  head:  link;
  tail:  link;
 END RECORD;

 END queue_package;

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-26 14:15 ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-26 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In addition, I've created a package body for the program as below...

Still getting errors apon errors - a parse error, plus errors for not
completing the specification -> which to my best knowledge and ability is
complete.

Does >anyone< have any pointers?

Kind Regards, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all @

Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^
(Remove UNDERPANTS to reply)

package body Queue_Package is

  procedure add is
  begin
  -- put_Line("Queue_Package Add node procedure");
  end add;

  procedure remove is
  begin
  -- Put_Line("Queue_Package Remove node procedure");
  end Remove;

  procedure initalise is
  begin

  end initalise;

  procedure is_empty_Queue
  begin

  end is_empty_Queue;

@ 2001-12-26 14:49 ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2001-12-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Liddle Feesh wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why the queue package below won't compile?
>
> I'm running ObjectADA Version 7.2 Special Edition, since GNAT won't run on
> my machine.
>
> The compiler keeps throwing up "Error: Line 9, col 39 Parse error: expected
> COLON, got IN, Inserting COLON.
>
> The line in question is: " procedure Remove(N:  out Integer;  Q: in out
> Queue); "
>
> Any ideas? I'm stumped if this is actually a syntactical problem.
>
> --
> Liddle Feesh
>  '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^
> (Remove UNDERPANTS to reply)
>
> ------
>
> package queue_package is
>
>  TYPE queue is LIMITED PRIVATE;
>  empty_queue   :   EXCEPTION;
>
>  procedure initialise (q:  in out queue);
>  function is_empty_queue (q:  queue) return boolean;
>  procedure add(n:  in integer;  q:  in out queue);
>  procedure remove(n:  out integer;  q: in out queue);
>  --remove raises the exception "empty-queue" if applied to an empty queue
>
>  PRIVATE
>  TYPE node;
>  TYPE link is ACCESS node;   --ACCESS is a pointer type
>  TYPE node is RECORD
>   value   :     integer;
>   next    :   link :=NULL;
>  END RECORD;
>
>  TYPE queue is RECORD
>   head:  link;
>   tail:  link;
>  END RECORD;
>
>  END queue_package;

I compiled it with GNAT 3.13P with no errors.

Larry

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-26 14:59   ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-12-26 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01-12-26 at 14:15 Liddle Feesh wrote:

>In addition, I've created a package body for the program as below...
>
>Still getting errors apon errors - a parse error, plus errors for not
>completing the specification -> which to my best knowledge and ability is
>complete.
>
>Does >anyone< have any pointers?

Just another one newbie will try to give you some access :-))

It may be a little hard, because you did not gave the errors,
that you got, but what I can say from code inspection:

>package body Queue_Package is
>
>  procedure add is
>  begin
>  -- put_Line("Queue_Package Add node procedure");

If you want to use Put_Line you should with Ada.Text_IO
and use Ada.Text_IO;

>  end add;
>
>  procedure remove is
>  begin
>  -- Put_Line("Queue_Package Remove node procedure");
>  end Remove;
>
>  procedure initalise is
>  begin

There cannot be nothing here.
If you want the precedure do nothing,
write just:
null;
>  end initalise;
>
>  procedure is_empty_Queue
>  begin
>
>  end is_empty_Queue;
>
>end Queue_Package;

And what is the specification?

BTW, in some previous mail you wrote, that you are not using
GNAT, because it is not working on your system.
What version of GNAT and from did you got it from?

Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\
  O                                  |
 o>>        Mike Nowak               |
 T                                   |
/ >       vinnie@inetia.pl           |
http://www.geocities.com/vinnie14pl _|__

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-26 15:08   ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-12-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apart from  your other parse error, the reason that  you are getting errors
about not completing
specification is that the body procedures do not have the same parameters as
those in the spec.

@ 2001-12-26 19:33 ` martin.m.dowie
From: martin.m.dowie @ 2001-12-26 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can anyone tell me why the queue package below won't compile?
>
> I'm running ObjectADA Version 7.2 Special Edition, since GNAT won't run on
> my machine.
>
> The compiler keeps throwing up "Error: Line 9, col 39 Parse error:
expected
> COLON, got IN, Inserting COLON.

I cut and pasted your code into ObjectAda SE 7.2.1 and it compiled ok

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-26 22:20     ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-26 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michal Nowak" wrote:

> If you want to use Put_Line you should with Ada.Text_IO
> and use Ada.Text_IO;

Noted. I shall add these at the beginning of the package spec and package
body.

> >  end add;
> >
> >  procedure remove is
> >  begin
> >  -- Put_Line("Queue_Package Remove node procedure");
> >  end Remove;
> >
> >  procedure initalise is
> >  begin
>
> There cannot be nothing here.
> If you want the precedure do nothing,
> write just:
> null;

Also noted - thanks.

> >  end initalise;
> >
> >  procedure is_empty_Queue
> >  begin
> >
> >  end is_empty_Queue;
> >
> >end Queue_Package;
>
> And what is the specification?

The specification is written in the main post.

> BTW, in some previous mail you wrote, that you are not using
> GNAT, because it is not working on your system.
> What version of GNAT and from did you got it from?

The GNAT version I downloaded was from:
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/

It appears to be version 3.31p.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional (SP2).

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-26 22:21   ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-26 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Hazel" wrote:

> I compiled it with GNAT 3.13P with no errors.

Really? Just as provided?

Is that with the SPEC and body, or just the SPEC?

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Why won't this package compile? - ERRORS FIXED & NEW PROBLEMS & New Source Code Listing
@ 2001-12-26 23:10 ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-26 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay, the package SPEC compiles, and I have saved this as queue_package.ads

However - the package body doesn't... I've made the changes as you wonderful
people have suggested, but am still erroring...

One problem was that I was making package body definitions(?) for a
function. The following procedure should not have been included in the
package body. It was declared as (and should stay as - a function).

  procedure is_empty_Queue (q:  queue)
  begin
  null; -- Do nothing
  end is_empty_Queue;

Removing this removed about 10 errors from the program.

The remaining two errors (as reported by ObjectADA 7.2 Compiler) are:

Error: Line 6 col 13 ... Completion required for specification 'initialise',
Continuing
Error: Line 7 col 12 ... Completion required for specification
'is_empty_queue', Continuing

is_empty_queue is a function (I hope to iterate through the list, and return
boolean true/false if empty), and 'initialise' seems to be properly complete
to me.

What on earth is the problem here? It's passed me completely. I have
attached the queue_package.ads file, which contains both Spec and Body.

TIA

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

-- START OF FILE

-- Queue_Package Spec
 package queue_package is

  TYPE queue is LIMITED PRIVATE;
   empty_queue   :   EXCEPTION;  -- !! FIRST ERROR REPORTED HERE
          -- !! SECOND ERROR REPORTED HERE
  procedure initialise (q:  in out queue);
  function is_empty_queue (q:  queue) return boolean;
  procedure add(n:  in integer;  q:  in out queue);
  procedure remove(n:  out integer;  q: in out queue);
  --remove raises the exception "empty-queue" if applied to an empty queue

  PRIVATE
  TYPE node;
  TYPE link is ACCESS node;   --ACCESS is a pointer type
  TYPE node is RECORD
    value   :     integer;
    next    :   link :=NULL;
  END RECORD;

  TYPE queue is RECORD
    head :  link;
    tail :  link;
  END RECORD;

 END queue_package;

-- Queue_Package Body
package body Queue_Package is

 procedure add (n:  in integer;  q:  in out queue) is
 begin
 null; -- Do nothing
 end add;

 procedure remove (n:  out integer;  q: in out queue) is
 begin
 null; -- Do nothing
 end Remove;

 procedure initalise (q:  in out queue) is
 begin
 null; -- Do nothing
 end initalise;

end Queue_Package;

-- END OF FILE

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-27  1:19     ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2001-12-27  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Liddle Feesh wrote:

> "Larry Hazel" wrote:
>
> > I compiled it with GNAT 3.13P with no errors.
>
> Really? Just as provided?
>
> Is that with the SPEC and body, or just the SPEC?
>
> --
> Liddle Feesh
>  '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^
> (Remove UNDERPANTS to reply)

Just the spec.  The body had lots of errors because it didn't match the spec and
no statement in subprograms.

Larry

* Re: Why won't this package compile? - ERRORS FIXED & NEW PROBLEMS & New Source Code Listing
@ 2001-12-27  4:21   ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2001-12-27  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Liddle Feesh wrote:

> [...]
>   TYPE node;
>   TYPE link is ACCESS node;   --ACCESS is a pointer type
>   TYPE node is RECORD
>     value   :     integer;
>     next    :   link :=NULL;
>   END RECORD;
>
>   TYPE queue is RECORD
>     head :  link;
>     tail :  link;
>   END RECORD;
>
>  END queue_package;
>
> -- Queue_Package Body
> package body Queue_Package is
>
>  procedure add (n:  in integer;  q:  in out queue) is
>  begin
>  null; -- Do nothing
>  end add;
>
>  procedure remove (n:  out integer;  q: in out queue) is
>  begin
>  null; -- Do nothing
>  end Remove;
>
>  procedure initalise (q:  in out queue) is

You still need a stub body for the function is_empty_queue in the package body.
Just return either true or false.  initialise is spelled initalise in the body.
Fix these 2 things and the package body compiles.

Larry

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-27  8:21       ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2001-12-27  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Liddle Feesh" <no_see_reply_address@spam.com> writes:

> The GNAT version I downloaded was from:
> ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/
>
> It appears to be version 3.31p.
>
> I am running Windows 2000 Professional (SP2).

Not sure if I got it from that URL but at work gnat 3.13p runs quite
nicely on my W2k with SP2 machine. I got it a a selfextracting .EXE
which installed itself without problems.

* Re: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-27 10:02       ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-12-27 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> BTW, in some previous mail you wrote, that you are not using
>> GNAT, because it is not working on your system.
>> What version of GNAT and from did you got it from?
>
>The GNAT version I downloaded was from:
>ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/
>
>It appears to be version 3.31p.
>
>I am running Windows 2000 Professional (SP2).

It should be named gnat-3.13p-nt.exe and have size
23_500_591 bytes.

Any messages you got? Did it installed successfully?
Maybe you forgot to put GNAT's path into PATH os variable?

Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\

@ 2001-12-27 16:57     ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Hazel" wrote:

> You still need a stub body for the function is_empty_queue in the package
body.
> Just return either true or false.  initialise is spelled initalise in the
body.
> Fix these 2 things and the package body compiles.

Thankyou Larry,

I have created the function body and corrected my spelling mistake.

All compiles well.

Thx,

--

@ 2001-12-27 17:03         ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-27 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michal Nowak" wrote:

> It should be named gnat-3.13p-nt.exe and have size
> 23_500_591 bytes.

That's what I have.

> Any messages you got? Did it installed successfully?
> Maybe you forgot to put GNAT's path into PATH os variable?

Errorbox with big red cross
Title: GNAT Ada95 Compiler - Welcome: gnat-3.13p-nt.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0xffff0871" referenced memory at "0xffff0871". The
memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate...
Click on CANCEL to debug...

---
Not all that clear, really.

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* GNAT on Win2K Was: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-28  9:15           ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-12-28  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01-12-27 at 17:03 Liddle Feesh wrote:

>"Michal Nowak" wrote:
>
>> It should be named gnat-3.13p-nt.exe and have size
>> 23_500_591 bytes.
>
>That's what I have.

[little snip]

>Errorbox with big red cross
>Title: GNAT Ada95 Compiler - Welcome: gnat-3.13p-nt.exe - Application Error
>The instruction at "0xffff0871" referenced memory at "0xffff0871". The
>memory could not be "read".
>
>Click on OK to terminate...
>Click on CANCEL to debug...

I'm afraid I can't help you here. I have only Win98. Maybe you have
access to Win2K or Win98 installed on another computer? If it will
run there - it means there is something with your windows. If not
- that may mean corrupted file. Maybe there is somebody here who had
similiar problems and will help you.

Good luck,
Mike

* Re: GNAT on Win2K Was: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-28 16:25             ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2001-12-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Nowak wrote:
> [little snip]
>
> >Errorbox with big red cross
> >Title: GNAT Ada95 Compiler - Welcome: gnat-3.13p-nt.exe - Application Error
> >The instruction at "0xffff0871" referenced memory at "0xffff0871". The
> >memory could not be "read".
> >
> >Click on OK to terminate...
> >Click on CANCEL to debug...
>
> I'm afraid I can't help you here. I have only Win98. Maybe you have
> access to Win2K or Win98 installed on another computer? If it will
> run there - it means there is something with your windows. If not
> - that may mean corrupted file. Maybe there is somebody here who had
> similiar problems and will help you.
>
> Good luck,
> Mike

I'm not sure. I think I had something similar when I tried to install on
a maschine where I had no admin rights.

* Re: GNAT on Win2K Was: Why won't this package compile?
@ 2001-12-28 17:08               ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alfred Hilscher" wrote:

> I'm not sure. I think I had something similar when I tried to install on
> a maschine where I had no admin rights.

Sorry, I'm a local and global admin of my machine and the domain - it's just
not gonna install. No matter though OA suits me fine.

--
Liddle Feesh