* Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2015-12-04 18:10 mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2015-12-04 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not strictly Ada-related, but I guess of some interest to this group...

According to the following article

   http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/programming-language-security.html

Veracode published a report (available at https://goo.gl/QVSF1t , registration required) about vulnerabilities in web applications. PHP is at third place, after ColdFusion and Classic ASP (never heard of them...)

One thing caught my attention in the article.  It says:

  "...The security researchers crawled popular web scripting languages including
PHP, Java, JavaScript, Ruby, .NET, C and C++, Microsoft Classic ASP, Android,
iOS, and COBOL"
         ^^^^^

COBOL a scripting language?!?

Enjoy

Riccardo

* Re: Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2015-12-04 18:34 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-12-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> COBOL a scripting language?!?

Is ok, they list iOS and Android as languages too, at least COBOL could be used for "scripting".

David Botton

* Re: Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2015-12-04 20:22   ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2015-12-04 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 7:34:56 PM UTC+1, David Botton wrote:
> > COBOL a scripting language?!?
>
> Is ok, they list iOS and Android as languages too, at least COBOL could be used for "scripting".
>
> David Botton

Right, I did not notice iOS and Android...

* Re: Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2015-12-04 20:26   ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2015-12-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 7:34:56 PM UTC+1, David Botton wrote:
> > COBOL a scripting language?!?
>
> Is ok, they list iOS and Android as languages too, at least COBOL could be used for "scripting".
>
> David Botton

By the way, it would be amusing (for some value of "amusing") to code a web app in COBOL...

* Re: Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2015-12-05  1:00     ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2015-12-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> writes:
> By the way, it would be amusing (for some value of "amusing") to code
> a web app in COBOL...

Always my favorite:  http://coboloncogs.org

* Re: Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2015-12-05 17:12 ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2015-12-05 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

They must be "security experts" ;)

@ 2016-01-02  0:13 ` Norman Worth
From: Norman Worth @ 2016-01-02  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/4/2015 11:10 AM, mockturtle wrote:
> Not strictly Ada-related, but I guess of some interest to this group...
>
> According to the following article
>
>     http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/programming-language-security.html
>
> Veracode published a report (available at https://goo.gl/QVSF1t , registration required) about vulnerabilities in web applications. PHP is at third place, after ColdFusion and Classic ASP (never heard of them...)
>
> One thing caught my attention in the article.  It says:
>
>    "...The security researchers crawled popular web scripting languages including
> PHP, Java, JavaScript, Ruby, .NET, C and C++, Microsoft Classic ASP, Android,
> iOS, and COBOL"
>           ^^^^^
>
> COBOL a scripting language?!?
>
> Enjoy
>
> Riccardo

The lesson seems to be that typical interpretive scripting languages are
dangerous for the web.  Note that C and C++, while a bit vulnerable, are
far safer than the scripting languages, and that interpreted languages
are more susceptible to the more dangerous maladies like code insertion
and command insertion.  Not surprising, really, when you consider how
they work.

* Re: Top 10 vulnerable languages for web app
@ 2016-04-08 22:37       ` Daniel Otte
From: Daniel Otte @ 2016-04-08 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can add: http://azac.pl/cobol-on-wheelchair/