* Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-13 13:04 matthias_k
From: matthias_k @ 2004-09-13 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are those predefined Integer types? That would mean they fall under the
"signed" category, which doesn't make sense. However, there's only a
signed and modular category.

Where's the difference between Natural and Positive anyway?

- Matthias

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-13 13:49 ` Peter Amey
From: Peter Amey @ 2004-09-13 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

matthias_k wrote:
>[snip]
>
> Where's the difference between Natural and Positive anyway?

Sorry, just can't resist the temptation to answer "nothing".

Peter

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-13 13:49 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2004-09-13 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

matthias_k wrote:

> Are those predefined Integer types? That would mean they fall under the
> "signed" category, which doesn't make sense. However, there's only a
> signed and modular category.
>
> Where's the difference between Natural and Positive anyway?

Reference manual, 3.5.4(13):

subtype Natural  is Integer range 0 .. Integer'Last;
subtype Positive is Integer range 1 .. Integer'Last;

--
Björn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-13 14:00 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-09-13 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

matthias_k wrote:
> Are those predefined Integer types? That would mean they fall under
> the "signed" category, which doesn't make sense. However, there's
> only a signed and modular category.

They are subtypes of "Integer", defined in the predefined package
"Standard".

> Where's the difference between Natural and Positive anyway?

Natural'First = 0
Positive'First = 1

Reference Manural Annex A.1

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positivefall?
@ 2004-09-15 19:31   ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2004-09-15 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Amey wrote:

> matthias_k wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> > Where's the difference between Natural and Positive anyway?
> >

> Sorry, just can't resist the temptation to answer "nothing".
>
> Peter

Great Answer :)

--
Joe Simon
Owego, NY

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-16 13:28   ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2004-09-16 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org

Well, "nothing" would be a fine answer, if it were a correct one.

Natural numbers include zero, while positive numbers exclude zero.

@ 2004-09-16 15:40     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-09-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:28:22 -0500, David C. Hoos
<david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

> Well, "nothing" would be a fine answer, if it were a correct one.

I think the joke was that the difference was "0"

;-)

- Ed

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-16 17:53       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-09-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed Falis" <falis@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:28:22 -0500, David C. Hoos
> <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, "nothing" would be a fine answer, if it were a correct one.
>

> I think the joke was that the difference was "0"
>
> ;-)

Oh, wow, that was a joke? I think it needed a roadmap - thanks for giving us
one.

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-16 18:02         ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-09-16 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:53:34 -0500, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Oh, wow, that was a joke? I think it needed a roadmap - thanks for
> giving us
> one.

Hey, I didn't put it there, but I did get it. :-P

* Re: Under which category of types in the ARM do Natural and Positive fall?
@ 2004-09-16 23:05           ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2004-09-16 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis wrote:

> Hey, I didn't put it there, but I did get it. :-P

As did I! :-)

(and i thought it was funny!)

dale

--