* Re: HELP HELP HELP PLEASE Ordinal Function
@ 1998-12-14  0:00     ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:19:20 GMT, John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny)
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:55:44 GMT, Matthew Heaney
><matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:
>
>>John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) writes:
>>
>>> Does anybody know the function to get the ASCII # for symbols in
>>> ADA95?  Thnx
>>
>>declare
>>  C : Character := ...;
>>begin
>>  <ascii#> := Character'Pos (C);
>>end;
>>
>>You can go the other way by using Character'Val (<ascii#>);

Thank You Very Very Much,
Will implement the Character'Pos tonight, Thanks to your help,
Thank goodness for Usenet and nice people

From: Johnny @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:55:44 GMT, Matthew Heaney
><matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:
>
>>John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) writes:
>>
>>> Does anybody know the function to get the ASCII # for symbols in
>>> ADA95?  Thnx
>>
>>declare
>>  C : Character := ...;
>>begin
>>  <ascii#> := Character'Pos (C);
>>end;
>>
>>You can go the other way by using Character'Val (<ascii#>);
>

>Would you happen to know if Character'Val and Character'pos are in the
>Standard IO_Text Package?  My book is ADA95  by feldman and Koffman
>2nd edition it does not list these functions in its text_io or
>standard packages.

Thank You for your help

* Re: HELP HELP HELP PLEASE Ordinal Function
@ 1998-12-14  0:00     ` Markus Rogawski
From: Markus Rogawski @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny

Johnny schrieb:

> Would you happen to know if Character'Val and Character'pos are in the
> Standard IO_Text Package?  My book is ADA95  by feldman and Koffman
> 2nd edition it does not list these functions in its text_io or
> standard packages.

These are standart attributes, not Text_Io functions.
See Ada Reference Manual 4.1.4 and 3.5.5

Greetings

Markus

* Re: HELP HELP HELP PLEASE Ordinal Function
@ 1998-12-14  0:00     ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) writes:

> Would you happen to know if Character'Val and Character'pos are in the
> Standard IO_Text Package?  My book is ADA95  by feldman and Koffman
> 2nd edition it does not list these functions in its text_io or
> standard packages.

You need an Ada RM.  Go to adahome page and follow the links to an
online reference manual.

<http://www.adahome.com/>

No, Character'Pos and 'Val are not "in" Text_IO.  You don't seem to
understand the concept of an attribute.  Read about type attributes in
the Feldman book, or another.  (There are tutorials at the adahome
page.)

* Re: HELP HELP HELP PLEASE Ordinal Function
@ 1998-12-14  0:00 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Johnny wrote:

> Does anybody know the function to get the ASCII # for symbols in
> ADA95?  Thnx

If this is not in the FAQ, it should be there.

Remember that in Ada the character type is simply an enumeration type,
ordered by ASCII values (what happens on EBCDIC, I don't know). So you can
use the attributes enumeration types support. Like character'pos('A')

Enjoy

Ehud Lamm     mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://www2.cybercities.com/e/ehud/ada   Ada & SE resources

From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)