From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Abstract Operations On A Tagged Record
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 13:17:36 GMT
Date: 2004-11-06T13:17:36+00:00	[thread overview]

BTW: I've been mucking around with this for the last few days and, after
much struggling, have concluded that attempting to do this (while it may
indeed work) started becoming entirely too unwieldy. Trying to keep
stalling off the problems with more and more layers of indirection
started becoming painful.

What I'm doing is basically leaving those operations out of the base
class and (where it makes sense) I'm creating layer(s) of intermediate
classes that get more and more specific about what the required
parameter types are. Its still rather "heavy" (you have to keep
isolating things in more packages and creating more branches in the
class tree) but it seemed less painful than trying to find all the
necessary abstractions & provide all the needed operations on the
parameter class.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say "here's a version
that deals with a float and here's a version that deals with a boolean
and its just not worth the pain of trying to make them both be the same
thing..." But at least I got a better understanding of what I'm dealing
with, eh?

MDC

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I'm fairly certain that you require something like:
>
>   procedure Some_Op (The_Thing : in out Some_Tagged_Type;
>                      The_Params: in     Some_Parameter_Type'Class)
>                                                          is abstract ;

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat"
         -- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987