* AdaGide (Gnat) Build error
@ 2003-02-28  9:31 Willy
From: Willy @ 2003-02-28  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I made a really really really simple program in Ada using
AdaGide(Gnat). Although it compiles correctly, I'm unable to build it.

The file name is test.ada

and when I try building it, it gives me the following error

Building...
GNATMAKE 3.15p  (20020523) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software
Foundation,
Inc.
End of compilation
gnatmake: "test" not found
Done--error detected.

I'm using windows 2000

Thanks for the help
Willy-

* Re: AdaGide (Gnat) Build error
@ 2003-02-28  9:49 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2003-02-28  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willy <tchi_yuan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The file name is test.ada
1.
rename your file:  test.adb
2.
check for procedure name to be "test" (the same as the file name)

now you have fulfilled the conventions of the useful gnat way of naming.

longterm advice:
never use a procedure with the name "test",
better choose names other than test, e.g. test1 etc.
because there are operating systems (some unix)
with a special meaning of "test"

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: AdaGide (Gnat) Build error
@ 2003-02-28 17:00   ` Willy
From: Willy @ 2003-02-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It still doesn't work. I changed the file name and the procedure name.
I'm still getting the same error when I build

-- filename is : test1.ada

-- source code :

with Text_Io;
use Text_Io;

procedure test1 is

   package Es_Entiers is new Integer_Io ( Integer );

   Num1 : Integer := 1;
   Num2 : Integer := 2;
   Num3 : Integer;
begin

   Num3 := Num1 / Num2;
   Put("Answer: ");
   Es_Entiers.Put(Num3);

end test1;

-- Error when I build :

Building...
GNATMAKE 3.15p  (20020523) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
End of compilation
gnatmake: "test1" not found
Done--error detected.

-- Is there any setting I'm missing ? I'm new to AdaGide.

Thanks,
Willy-

@ 2003-02-28 18:20 David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-02-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway; +Cc: tchi_yuan

You apparently didn't pay close attention to the previous responses
to your original message.  The filename extension must be
.adb _not_ .ada

@ 2003-02-28 23:46     ` Karen
From: Karen @ 2003-02-28 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

doh!

rename to

read this carefully...

test1.adb

Ithankyou..

@ 2003-03-01  2:38 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-03-01  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos wrote:
> You apparently didn't pay close attention to the previous responses
> to your original message.  The filename extension must be
> .adb _not_ .ada

Of course, "must" is incorrect. One can use any naming convention one
chooses with GNAT, but you must inform GNAT that you're using a
convention other than the GNAT default convention. unit_name.ads &
unit_name.adb are the GNAT default names.

"C++ is like giving an AK-47 to a monk, shooting him
full of crack and letting him loose in a mall and
expecting him to balance your checking account
'when he has the time.'"
Drew Olbrich

* Re: AdaGide (Gnat) Build error
@ 2003-03-01  2:51 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-03-01  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message
> You apparently didn't pay close attention to the previous responses
> to your original message.  The filename extension must be
> .adb _not_ .ada

This reenforces my opinion that 90% of program bugs are being off by one.
In this case one letter in the file extension ;-)

Steve
(The Duck)

* Re: AdaGide (Gnat) Build error
@ 2003-03-01  3:35   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2003-03-01  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway; +Cc: Jeffrey Carter

> > You apparently didn't pay close attention to the previous responses
> > to your original message.  The filename extension must be
> > .adb _not_ .ada
>
> Of course, "must" is incorrect. One can use any naming convention one
> chooses with GNAT, but you must inform GNAT that you're using a
> convention other than the GNAT default convention. unit_name.ads &
> unit_name.adb are the GNAT default names.
In the context specified by the original poster, "Must" is _absolutely_
correct.  He's trying to "build" within AdaGide.