* Additional Comment Period for Upcoming Ada Revision
@ 2019-07-27  2:53 Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2019-07-27  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 9 (WG 9) is responsible for the maintenance and
revision of the Ada Programming Language and associated standards and
technical reports. As part of the language maintenance activity, WG 9 has
established a group of Ada experts as the Ada Rapporteur Group (ARG). The
ARG receives input from the Ada community at large to consider for inclusion
in revision to the Ada programming language standard. The WG 9 has produced
a number of revisions to the language in accordance with ISO policy and to
address the evolution of technology (Ada 83, Ada 95, Ada 2005, Ada 2012).

Presently, the ARG is nearing completion on a revision to Ada 2012 (known
for now as Ada 202x) which includes new contracts and lightweight
parallelism features. Concern has been raised that these new proposals have
not been prototyped nor has the suitability for diverse target environments
been assessed.

Therefore, the ARG is seeking comments, based on prototyping and review, on
the new features (focused on the parallelism features) incorporated within
the current draft of the Ada 202X standard. Comments should be submitted to
ada-comment@ada-auth.org as described in the Ada Reference Manual
Introduction
(http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/rm12_w_tc1/html/RM-0-3.html#p58). Please
include the draft number with any Ada Reference Manual references in your
comment. Comments should be sent by 1 June 2020 in order to be considered
for the revision. (Note: While not required, joining the mailing list as
described at http://www.ada-auth.org/comment.html is recommended so that you
receive any queries on or responses to your comment.)

The draft revision can be found at
http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada2x.html. A list of issues addressed in
Ada 202x can be found at
http://www.ada-auth.org/ai-files/grab_bag/2020-Amendments.html.

                                 Randy Brukardt, ARG Editor

[You can find an on-line version of this announcement at
https://www.adaic.org/2019/07/additional-comment-period-for-upcoming-ada-revision/.]

* Re: Additional Comment Period for Upcoming Ada Revision
@ 2019-07-27  3:02 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2019-07-27  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> Presently, the ARG is nearing completion on a revision to Ada 2012 (known
> for now as Ada 202x) which includes new contracts and lightweight
> parallelism features. Concern has been raised that these new proposals
> have not been prototyped nor has the suitability for diverse target
> environments been assessed.

To translate this announcement into plain English, the completion date of
Ada 202x has been pushed back a year and a half in order to get more
feedback on the proposed changes. Most of the major features went from rough
outlines last fall to a completed standard with detailed wording by May.
This rate of completion was just too much for most interested parties
outside of the ARG to keep up with.

Rather than standardize something under-baked that might have to be changed
in a few years, we're dialing back the amount of work and letting the Ada
community catch up.

This comment period is not intended to introduce additional new features;
such comments are always welcome but most will be deferred until the
following revision. (Of course, additional features related to the ones
already intended for the revision are possible.)

* Re: Additional Comment Period for Upcoming Ada Revision
@ 2019-07-29  9:44 ` moy
From: moy @ 2019-07-29  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would add that participation in the new Ada/SPARK RFC website hosted by AdaCore is very welcome for anyone who wants to influence the future of Ada and/or SPARK:

https://github.com/AdaCore/ada-spark-rfcs

Participation can come in many flavors:
- signal your opinion on Pull Requests (PR) by adding a thumb-up/thumb-down on the first message of the PR
- comment on a PR to refine your opinion
- propose an RFC as a PR for others to comment

* Re: Additional Comment Period for Upcoming Ada Revision
@ 2019-07-30  1:06   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-07-30  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 8:02:41 PM UTC-7, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Presently, the ARG is nearing completion on a revision to Ada 2012 (known
> > for now as Ada 202x) which includes new contracts and lightweight
> > parallelism features. Concern has been raised that these new proposals
> > have not been prototyped nor has the suitability for diverse target
> > environments been assessed.

Thanks to you and the ARG for all your work!

-- Stephe