* Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-03  5:22 Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2010-06-03  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

The former moderator of the comp.parallel newsgroups just posted the
appended request for suggested readings at the graduate level in parallel
computing.  It would be nice to get some Ada-related books in that list.

Suggestions should be sent to his e-mail address within the next two weeks.

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/-Europe/SIGAda/WG9 mail)

*** 15th Intl.Conf.on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe'2010
*** June 14-18, 2010 *** Valencia, Spain *** http://www.ada-europe.org

PS: Copy or original request follows:

From: Eugene Miya <eugene@soe.ucsc.edu>
Subject: H&P new edition input
Newsgroups: comp.parallel
Date: 02 Jun 2010 15:23:16 GMT

John Hennessy informs me that they are working on an updated edition
of his architecture book. C.p. has at least 600 readers on google
groups independent of remaining usenet sites, and it has been a while
since I once again solicit every one for their suggested readings at
the graduate level in parallel computing.  Just email your former
moderator your suggestions of what you think students of parallel
computing should read.  You don't have to post, I merely tally the
suggestions.  The old list is getting long in the tooth.  If you
submitted suggestions before, you can change them, just let me know.
You have a week or two to send me your "vote" of say up to 10
references.  A partial citation is usually fine, I'll get back to you
if I can't complete the citation myself.  John will take the
compilation for his chapter on parallel computing.

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-03  5:35 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2010-06-03  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Craeynest a �crit :
> The former moderator of the comp.parallel newsgroups just posted the
> appended request for suggested readings at the graduate level in parallel
> computing.  It would be nice to get some Ada-related books in that list.
>
> Suggestions should be sent to his e-mail address within the next two weeks.

Is it limited to books in English (Breguet/Zaffalon would be a good
candidate in French)?

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-03  6:09   ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2010-06-03  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <hu7ev6$rsi$1@news.eternal-september.org> in comp.lang.ada
J-P. Rosen writes:
>Is it limited to books in English (Breguet/Zaffalon would be a good
>candidate in French)?

I don't know whether non-English books are accepted as well.
Looking for the latest "Suggested readings" posting in comp.parallel,
I note that only publications in English are listed in the top 10.

But you can of course always suggest it.

Dirk

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-03 12:04 ` John McCormick
From: John McCormick @ 2010-06-03 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Building Parallel, Embedded, and Real-Time Applications with Ada" by
McCormick, Singhoff, and Hugues will be published by Cambridge
University Press at the end of this year.  See
http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521197168
The release date is probably too late to be considered.

John

@ 2010-06-03 19:49 ` björn lundin
From: björn lundin @ 2010-06-03 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Juni, 07:22, d...@heli.cs.kuleuven.be (Dirk Craeynest) wrote:
> The former moderator of the comp.parallel newsgroups just posted the
> appended request for suggested readings at the graduate level in parallel
> computing.  It would be nice to get some Ada-related books in that list.

I suggested Concurrency in Ada by

Alan Burns (Author), Andy Wellings (Author), John Barns (Foreword)

http://www.amazon.com/Concurrency-Ada-Alan-Burns/dp/052162911X

Great book

/Björn

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-04  5:46   ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2010-06-04  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

John and others who want to suggest books, please send those suggestions
directly to the former moderator of the comp.parallel newsgroups Eugene
Miya <eugene@soe.ucsc.edu> who is collecting them.

Dirk

In article <25c2a0b8-ccb2-4eed-9430-a5504796f68a@40g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
in the comp.lang.ada Usenet newsgroup John McCormick

@ 2010-06-04  5:50   ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2010-06-04  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ca9c9d9f-b8c5-4128-b50a-2c1419e9701b@y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
in the comp.lang.ada Usenet newsgroup bj�rn lundin  <b.f.lundin@gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]
>I suggested Concurrency in Ada by
>Alan Burns (Author), Andy Wellings (Author), John Barns (Foreword)
>http://www.amazon.com/Concurrency-Ada-Alan-Burns/dp/052162911X
>
>Great book
>
>/Bj�rn

FYI, a new edition of that book is available: among others it was updated
for Ada 2005.  Some more information:

Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in Ada
Alan Burns and Andy Wellings
July 2007
http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866972

You might want to consider updating your suggestion to this new edition?

Dirk

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-04 11:21     ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2010-06-04 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Dirk Craeynest sent:

|"[...]                                                                   |
|>I suggested Concurrency in Ada by                                       |
|>Alan Burns (Author), Andy Wellings (Author), John Barns (Foreword)      |
|[..]                                                                     |
|>Great book                                                              |
|>                                                                        |
|>/Bj?rn                                                                  |
|FYI, a new edition of that book is available: among others it was updated|
|for Ada 2005.  Some more information:                                    |
|Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in Ada                              |
|Alan Burns and Andy Wellings                                             |
|July 2007                                                                |
|http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866972   |
|You might want to consider updating your suggestion to this new edition? |
|Dirk"                                                                    |

Perhaps people should refrain from suggesting books which they have
not actually read.

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-04 18:54       ` starwars
From: starwars @ 2010-06-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Perhaps people should refrain from suggesting books which they have
> not actually read.

Uh oh, I paid a bundle for a copy of this. Is there a problem with it? I
haven't had time to go through it yet.

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-04 19:15       ` Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2010-06-04 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:21:12 +0000
Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Dirk Craeynest sent:
>
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |"[...]
> by                                       | |>Alan Burns (Author),
> Andy Wellings (Author), John Barns (Foreword)      |
> |[..]
> book                                                              |
> |>

> |>/Bj?rn
> |

> | |FYI, a new edition of that book is available: among others it was
> updated| |for Ada 2005.  Some more
> information:                                    |
> |
> | |Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in
> Ada                              | |Alan Burns and Andy
> Wellings                                             | |July
> 2007                                                                |
> |http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866972
> |

> | |You might want to consider updating your suggestion to this new
> edition? |
> |

> |Dirk"
> |
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
> Perhaps people should refrain from suggesting books which they have
> not actually read.

I've read the new edition of this book cover to cover, and highly
recommend it.

Brad

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-05 10:09         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2010-06-05 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 04/06/2010 21:15, Brad Moore a �crit :
> I've read the new edition of this book cover to cover, and highly
> recommend it.

I can only highly recommend this book too. One of the best technical
book I've read in a long time.

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-06  1:36           ` Fritz Wuehler
From: Fritz Wuehler @ 2010-06-06  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks guys.

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-07 10:24         ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2010-06-07 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, starwars asked:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"> Perhaps people should refrain from suggesting books which they have  |
|> not actually read.                                                    |
|Uh oh, I paid a bundle for a copy of this. Is there a problem with it? I|
|haven't had time to go through it yet."                                 |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have not read it. Dirk suggested that someone who seems to also not
have read it to suggest it to someone else.

Other people who have read the book responded to your question
praising the book, so it seems that you will be pleased by it.

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-08 18:17           ` björn lundin
From: björn lundin @ 2010-06-08 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Juni, 12:24, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Glos...@ACM.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, starwars asked:
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |"> Perhaps people should refrain from suggesting books which they have  |
> |> not actually read.                                                    |
> |                                                                        |
> |Uh oh, I paid a bundle for a copy of this. Is there a problem with it? I|
> |haven't had time to go through it yet."                                 |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
> I have not read it. Dirk suggested that someone who seems to also not
> have read it to suggest it to someone else.

Well no. Dirk suggested to me to recommend _a later edition_ of a book
that I have read many, many times. He did _not_ suggest me to
recommend a totally
unknown book. Nor did I suggest a book I did not read.

> Other people who have read the book responded to your question
> praising the book, so it seems that you will be pleased by it.

And it is really good. This is why I recommended it.
Because I _know_ it is good.

And just by reading the thread, it is pretty obvious that
this is what happened.

/Björn

* Re: Request for parallel computing books in comp.parallel
@ 2010-06-10 15:11             ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2010-06-10 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)