* gnat gps
@ 2009-07-14 23:17 Rob Solomon
From: Rob Solomon @ 2009-07-14 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to make the height of the gps new project dialog smaller.
The bottom row of buttons is cut off when I try to use the GPS on my
netbook.  And I have not been able to make the window smaller.

* Re: gnat gps
@ 2009-07-15 15:02 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2009-07-15 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Solomon <usenet@drrob1-noreply.com> wrote:
> I would like to make the height of the gps new project dialog smaller.
> The bottom row of buttons is cut off when I try to use the GPS on my
> netbook.  And I have not been able to make the window smaller.

That is indeed a general problem of MS-Windows (and other OSes?)
for all applications for which I did not yet find a solution :-(

There seems to be no way to reach the bottom of a window
when the upper-left corner does not offer shrinking capability.

* Re: gnat gps
@ 2009-07-15 16:06   ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-07-15 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 juil, 17:02, Peter Hermann <s...@spam.de> wrote:
> That is indeed a general problem of MS-Windows (and other OSes?)
Perhaps the underlying GUI library comes into trouble here as well

IMHO, a GUI framework should not allow this kind of things to
happened, which I only meet with applications builded with some
libraries (by the way and beside of one other project, I'm currently
working on GUI library for Windows XP, not portable, but for Windows
only and well suited to Windows).

I like GTK a lot, but it seems it works better on Debian or Ubuntu.
Portability is oftenly at the cost of something ;) (didn't it seems
obvious ?)

P.S. In the mean time, it is nice to have GTK on Windows, beceause it
allows to design GUI interfaces for Debian/Ubuntu on Windows, without
the need to switch all the time (but designing an application is one
thing, and using it is another).

* Re: gnat gps
@ 2009-07-15 16:11   ` Albrecht Käfer
       [not found]   ` <QpydnY-ogekzLMPXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2009-07-15 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann schrieb:
>> I would like to make the height of the gps new project dialog smaller.
>> The bottom row of buttons is cut off when I try to use the GPS on my
>> netbook.  And I have not been able to make the window smaller.
> That is indeed a general problem of MS-Windows (and other OSes?)
> for all applications for which I did not yet find a solution :-(
> There seems to be no way to reach the bottom of a window
> when the upper-left corner does not offer shrinking capability.

But at least you can use Alt-Space to get the window menu and move the
window up and down again, even though the title bar disappears.

Isn't the dialog in question just about 600 pixels high?

Albrecht

* Re: gnat gps
@ 2009-07-15 17:13     ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2009-07-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hibou57 (Yannick Duch�ne) schrieb:
>> That is indeed a general problem of MS-Windows (and other OSes?)
> Perhaps the underlying GUI library comes into trouble here as well
> IMHO, a GUI framework should not allow this kind of things to
> happened, which I only meet with applications builded with some
> libraries

Well, if the controls in the window have a combined height of more than,
say, 500 pixels, you cannot have a window less than 500 pixels high
while still showing every control. This is more of a design issue (not
taking into consideration small screens. And in this case, it means a
vertical resolution of less than 768 pixels).

Albrecht

* Re: gnat gps
       [not found]   ` <QpydnY-ogekzLMPXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
@ 2009-07-16 10:21     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-07-16 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis Lee Bieber schrieb:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:02:40 +0000 (UTC), Peter Hermann <spam@spam.de>
> declaimed the following in comp.lang.ada:
>
>> There seems to be no way to reach the bottom of a window
>> when the upper-left corner does not offer shrinking capability.
>
> 	So far as I've experienced, all applications that do allow resize
> from top/left will redraw the contents /from top\left/, so reducing the
> size will never help.
>
> 	Personally -- I'd blame the problem on the push to get "netbooks"

Isn't it rather the missing separation of style and content
that makes important dialogue windows unusable?  Programmers
may realize that it's in their hands to add controls to
dialogue windows that works within 614400 pixel squares no
matter what arrangement the smart graphical OS software chooses,
provided they are made aware of this opportunity.

Unless, of course, computer users be prevented from freely
choosing their preferred window appearance.

A programmer's "works for me" attitude that makes him/her
fix the size of a dialogue windows dismisses that
essential separation of content (buttons, input fiels, ...)
and style (size, color, ...).

Yes, the size of screens is no longer <= 480 pixels, vertically,
as it used to be. But wait, it still is nearly this size, today,
on most popular cell phone computers! How did the loop guys
manage to make usable dialogues on a sceen this small?
There mus be something wrong, then, in

(a) visual design tools and libraries and
(b) programmer education.

> (something I know of as being initially designed for minimal "local"
> applications, meant to be used as an Internet access device and not as a
> full up computer)

Uhm, browsing the WWW is not really a "local" application?
Also, it's the WWW and "web design" that require larger screens.

* Re: gnat gps
       [not found]   ` <QpydnY-ogekzLMPXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
@ 2009-07-16 10:59     ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-07-16 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 juil, 06:50, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> [...] (I'd really love the Amiga's "push to
> back" button, which keeps the focus in the application but puts it under
> all other applications -- makes it much simpler to transcribe data from
> one application while typing it into a covered window).

Thanks for the point, it was nice to learn it (I like to learn about
exotic UIs)

By the way, you can achieve the same in Windows : you have to make one
of the window a top-level window while leaving the other (the one you
type in) a normal window which still keep the keyboard focus. As most
applications does not allow you to make it a top-level-window
explicitely, you may need a tool like DeskPins :
http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/efotinis/programs/deskpins.html  then,
simply put a pin on the title bar of the window you want to stay on
top.

* Re: gnat gps
@ 2009-07-16 11:07       ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-07-16 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 juil, 12:21, Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauh...@futureapps.de>
wrote:
> (a) visual design tools and libraries and
> (b) programmer education.
Althought I agree with the two points, I feel the second one is the
most significant.

Too much application designers does not realize how ergonomy should be
one of the main focus, and did not realize how much effort some
compagnies make in ergonomic research.

Perhaps a lot of these ones feel the most exiting part is in “ coding
” and not enough in “ take care of the user (or client, when things
goes fine) ”.

* Re: gnat gps
       [not found]   ` <QpydnY-ogekzLMPXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
@ 2009-07-16 22:09     ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2009-07-16 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis Lee Bieber schrieb:
>> There seems to be no way to reach the bottom of a window
>> when the upper-left corner does not offer shrinking capability.
>
> 	So far as I've experienced, all applications that do allow resize
> from top/left will redraw the contents /from top\left/, so reducing the
> size will never help.
>
> 	Personally -- I'd blame the problem on the push to get "netbooks"
> (something I know of as being initially designed for minimal "local"
> applications, meant to be used as an Internet access device and not as a
> full up computer) into the hands of everyone who should be using a full
> size laptop.

Aw, come on. They usually have a frickin' 1024x600 display. *Every
Windows app* should be usable on that!

> Even my ancient laptop supports 1280x1024.

Yeah, but can you swing it around in one hand? ;)

Albrecht

* Re: gnat gps
       [not found]   ` <QpydnY-ogekzLMPXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
@ 2009-07-17 21:21   ` Rob Solomon
From: Rob Solomon @ 2009-07-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:

>Rob Solomon <usenet@drrob1-noreply.com> wrote:
>> I would like to make the height of the gps new project dialog smaller.
>> The bottom row of buttons is cut off when I try to use the GPS on my
>> netbook.  And I have not been able to make the window smaller.
>
>That is indeed a general problem of MS-Windows (and other OSes?)
>for all applications for which I did not yet find a solution :-(
>
>There seems to be no way to reach the bottom of a window
>when the upper-left corner does not offer shrinking capability.

I should have said that my netbook runs ubuntu netbook remix, not
WinXP

* Gnat gps
@ 2016-02-08 14:08 tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-02-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

is it possible in gps to include a specific header for all files in the project that are new? or should I do this manually?

* Re: Gnat gps
@ 2016-02-08 14:41 ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2016-02-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 3:08:36 PM UTC+1, tonyg wrote:
> is it possible in gps to include a specific header for all files in the project that are new? or should I do this manually?

I use the plugin 'skeleton' that comes with GNAT GPS.

Regards,

Mark L

* Re: Gnat gps
@ 2016-02-15 12:17   ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-02-15 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 8 February 2016 14:41:53 UTC, Mark Lorenzen  wrote:
> On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 3:08:36 PM UTC+1, tonyg wrote:
> > is it possible in gps to include a specific header for all files in the project that are new? or should I do this manually?
>
> I use the plugin 'skeleton' that comes with GNAT GPS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark L

Thanks Mark!