* OpenGL and ADA
@ 2000-05-08  0:00 Randy Pugh
From: Randy Pugh @ 2000-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,
    I'm designing a graphics intensive map-viewing program using the OpenGL
API (including the glut library) and would like to use Ada for it's inherent
tasking capability (and inherent stability...).  I'm using a Win32 system...
    Has anyone gotten glut to work with the Gnat compiler?  I'm able to get
the "packaged" bindings to work (win32 API, Gtk) but not glut.  I've
downloaded the Ada binding from the Internet, installed it in the \bindings
directory and compiled it.  When I compile my test file that just "with"s
glut, I get errors for every line in the binding's spec file.  I moved the
glut.dll into the same directory; still no luck.
    Any suggestions?....
      Thanks,
                Randy Pugh
               Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA

* Re: OpenGL and ADA
@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Pugh <info@golfcoursebooks.com> a �crit dans le message :
shdj4vhi5uh136@corp.supernews.com...
> Greetings,
>     I'm designing a graphics intensive map-viewing program using the
OpenGL
> API (including the glut library) and would like to use Ada for it's
inherent
> tasking capability (and inherent stability...).  I'm using a Win32
system...
>     Has anyone gotten glut to work with the Gnat compiler?  I'm able to
get
> the "packaged" bindings to work (win32 API, Gtk) but not glut.  I've
> downloaded the Ada binding from the Internet, installed it in the
\bindings
> directory and compiled it.  When I compile my test file that just "with"s
> glut, I get errors for every line in the binding's spec file.  I moved the
> glut.dll into the same directory; still no luck.
>     Any suggestions?....

I have a working GLUT for Win32 package on my homepage. Direct
access through: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

Jerry Van Dijk has also a GLUT for Win32. Basically with the same features
than mine. I have added one nice example of CSG (Constructive Solid
Geometry)
in my GLUT package.

Jerry Web site : http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk/

Pascal.

--

--|------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                               Team-Ada Member |

* OpenGL and ADA
@ 2000-10-25  0:00 Daniel Maleike
From: Daniel Maleike @ 2000-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I�d like to know how to use OpenGL with ADA. On www.opengl.org I found a
link to http://www.niestu.com/languages/oglada/ , but that doesn�t work.
Anybody who knows another source? I need an implementation for windows.

Daniel

* Re: OpenGL and ADA
@ 2000-10-25  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Maleike" <dmaleike@stuf.fh-heilbronn.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I�d like to know how to use OpenGL with ADA. On www.opengl.org I found a
> link to http://www.niestu.com/languages/oglada/ , but that doesn�t work.
> Anybody who knows another source? I need an implementation for windows.

I have some example on my homepage using the OpenGL binding from the
Win32 Ada binding and GLAUX or using GLUT.

Direct access is:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

This page is in french, but look for Keyword GLUT, OpenGL and GLAUX.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: OpenGL and ADA
@ 2000-10-26  1:58 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-10-26  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Maleike" <dmaleike@stuf.fh-heilbronn.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I�d like to know how to use OpenGL with ADA. On www.opengl.org I found a
> link to http://www.niestu.com/languages/oglada/ , but that doesn�t work.
> Anybody who knows another source? I need an implementation for windows.
>
> Daniel

The link works for me :-)

SteveD

* OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-11 16:10 Alfredo Macias
From: Alfredo Macias @ 2003-03-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone point out any sources for examples on OpenGL in Ada?
I've been trying to display a picture using OpenGL in an Ada program.
(I'm using OpenGL directly because no windowing is to be used in my program)
Thank you.

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-12  1:12 ` David Marceau
From: David Marceau @ 2003-03-12  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfredo Macias wrote:

> Can someone point out any sources for examples on OpenGL in Ada?
> I've been trying to display a picture using OpenGL in an Ada program.
> (I'm using OpenGL directly because no windowing is to be used in my program)
> Thank you.
I'm not sure what you mean by no windowing but what operating system are
you using?
There is glut for windows(win32) and linux/unix.

glut with ada(recent bindings)
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/archive/glut32.tar.gz
examples for glut with ada
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/archive/ogl-src.tar.gz
glut for windows
http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html
open gl and glut web site
http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut/index.html?GLUT#2

You might also want to consider Gautier's 3d engine.
Engine3d uses svgalib which implies straight to the graphics card no
x-Window or win32 windows.
http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/e3d.htm
Works on the following Operating systems:
Linux, DR-DOS, MS-DOS, PC-DOS, and Dos emulation:
-Windows 95,98,ME: OK. You may need to toggle to full screen
(Alt-return).
-Windows NT/2000/XP: OK You need to toggle to full screen (Alt-return).
Only banked-mode VESA works (slower) and is automatically selected.
Sometimes NTVDM crashes for mysterious reasons. To stabilize it you can
install ntlfn, Win9x's long names services for NT-DOS. For accessing the
sound card under NT, you'll need VDMSound. In any case, there is a
"bootable" version.
-Linux DOSEMU: Reported as OK. But, look at the Linux version.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
David Marceau

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-12  1:41   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-12  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

You will also find examples of using OpenGL and DirectX 7 and 8 with Ada on
Windows at the GWindows page http://www.adapower.com/gwindows

David Botton

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-12 10:44   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2003-03-12 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Marceau:

> Engine3d uses svgalib which implies straight to the graphics card no
> x-Window or win32 windows.
> http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/e3d.htm

Thank you for the reference, but one has to mention that this specific
project doesn't use any special feature of the graphics card: the only
communication with the graphics card is to send the full rendered image
bitmap to the card once it is finished.

I have another project using OpenGL, but it is still vaporware...
(--> http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/g3d.htm)
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-12 20:44 ` Joachim Schr�er
From: Joachim Schr�er @ 2003-03-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

you may look at

    www.adapower.com/schroer

J. Schr�er

"Alfredo Macias" <alfredom@sbceo.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Can someone point out any sources for examples on OpenGL in Ada?
> I've been trying to display a picture using OpenGL in an Ada program.
> (I'm using OpenGL directly because no windowing is to be used in my
program)
> Thank you.

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-13  0:01 ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-03-13  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:10:53 -0800
"Alfredo Macias" <alfredom@sbceo.org> wrote:

> Can someone point out any sources for examples on OpenGL in Ada?
> I've been trying to display a picture using OpenGL in an Ada program.
> (I'm using OpenGL directly because no windowing is to be used in my program)
> Thank you.

Try my OpenGL-binding at http://adaopengl.sf.net/

//David Holm

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-03-14  0:27   ` Alfredo Macias
From: Alfredo Macias @ 2003-03-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you ALL very much for your hints.

I'm using AIX, and we are trying not to use glut or any windowing system,
but to draw directly in OpenGL. My app only needs to draw lines, text and
polygons, so I'm doing ok with those.  However, I'd like to be able to
display a picture as my splash screen, but not sure if it can be done
without glut or any other windowing system, which we will not be installed
in the target machine to save space.

Thank you all again

"David Holm" <david@realityrift.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:10:53 -0800
> "Alfredo Macias" <alfredom@sbceo.org> wrote:
>
> > Can someone point out any sources for examples on OpenGL in Ada?
> > I've been trying to display a picture using OpenGL in an Ada program.
> > (I'm using OpenGL directly because no windowing is to be used in my
program)
> > Thank you.
>
> Try my OpenGL-binding at http://adaopengl.sf.net/
>
> //David Holm

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-06-16 13:40 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-06-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

There is an example of using OpenGL with GWindows (if you are using Win32)
at http://www.adapower.com/gwindows

David Botton

> Can someone point out any sources for examples on OpenGL in Ada?
> I've been trying to display a picture using OpenGL in an Ada program.
> (I'm using OpenGL directly because no windowing is to be used in my
program)
> Thank you.

* OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-10-03 18:59 Alfredo Macias
From: Alfredo Macias @ 2003-10-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
Has anyone seen a problem with openGL (with ada) running on Linx where a
line between 2 points is drawn 60% with the intended color and 40% of it
white?

This is the code Im running, and don't set any colors between the drawing of
the line, how could the line be drawn with two different colors, and when
the line moves, the intruder color changes to yellow or magenta.

This is weired and is driven me nuts.
Gl.Glbegin(Mode);

      for I in 1..2 loop
            Gl.Glvertex2d
                              (Gl.Gldouble(Data.Item(I).Coord1),
                               Gl.Gldouble(Data.Item(I).Coord2));
       end loop;

 Gl.Glend;

No one I know has seen this kind of behavior.  Have you?
Any hints will be appreciated.

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-10-04  5:10 ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2003-10-04  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Have you tried a opengl-dedicated newsgroup (e.g. comp.graphics.api.opengl)?

Frank

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-10-04 16:59 ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-10-04 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

You don't set the colour.  If you don't no state is guaranteed.  I don't
see how it can be anything else since the binding just imports c
routines directly, though I could be wrong.

* Re: OpenGL and Ada
@ 2003-10-09  0:44 ` Phaedrus
From: Phaedrus @ 2003-10-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

<I sent the following to Alfredo, then realized that it might help someone
else someday.  So here it is.>

Without seeing the entire code, I can only guess.  But I'd bet that you're
seeing a reflection of the light
source.   If the current material is fairly reflective, you'd have a good
chance of getting a highly specular
reflection like you describe.   Try changing the position of the light(s),
and see if the result changes.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Good luck!
--Phaedrus