* autogenerate html documentation out of .ads file
@ 2019-11-12 17:07 Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-12 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

The file mylibrary.ads contains a list of functions which the outside world can call.
Can I autogenerate a .html file out of this mylibrarya.ads file in order the let the outside world know this library is available ?

* Re: autogenerate html documentation out of .ads file
@ 2019-11-12 19:09 ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2019-11-12 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"gnatdoc" (normally part of the gnat-installation) will do the trick.
/P

@ 2019-11-12 20:07 ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-12 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll check if I can compile it,
https://github.com/AdaCore/gps/blob/master/gnatdoc/gnatdoc.gpr

* Re: autogenerate html documentation out of .ads file
@ 2019-11-12 20:18   ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2019-11-12 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2019-11-12 21:09, Per Sandberg wrote:
> "gnatdoc" (normally part of the gnat-installation) will do the trick.
> /P

There is also (or used to be) a tool called "gnathtml.pl", which is a
Perl script that generates HTML that looks rather like the Ada source,
but has cross-links.

I haven't used "gnatdoc" much, but IIRC its output is more like Doxygen
output, which I don't like. YMMV.

> On 2019-11-12 18:07, Alain De Vos wrote:
>> The file mylibrary.ads contains a list of functions which the outside
>> world can call.
>> Can I autogenerate a .html file out of this mylibrarya.ads file in
>> order the let the outside world know this library is available ?

IMO a well-commented .ads file is good enough for that part of the
outside world that consists of programmers who want to use the package
(it may not be enough for code reviewers and cross-readers). No
automatic HTML generator can add the rationales, descriptions, and
discussions, which IMO are the essential info for using a package
_correctly_.

--
Niklas Holsti
niklas holsti tidorum fi

* Re: autogenerate html documentation out of .ads file
@ 2019-11-12 22:57     ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnatdoc seems to be part of gps which does not compile because of dependencies.

* Re: autogenerate html documentation out of .ads file
@ 2019-11-12 23:04 ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-12 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnathtml.pl works but does not produce the format I like.
Maybe I just parse the .ads and and the html tags.

* Re: autogenerate html documentation out of .ads file
@ 2019-11-13 17:15   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-11-13 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnatdoc executable is installed by the Community 2019 binary install from https://www.adacore.com/