* NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 19:13 olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-21 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

For info and reference:

http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 19:44 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-12-21 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-12-21 20:13, olivier.henley@gmail.com wrote:
> For info and reference:
>
> http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/

Very interesting... but where are the sources?

P.S. It is not GM GPL, only GPL, right?

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 19:55   ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-21 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 2:44:34 PM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2015-12-21 20:13, olivier...@gmail.com wrote:
> > For info and reference:
> >
> > http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/
>
> Very interesting... but where are the sources?

http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/src/NBAda-0.1.0-pre0.tar.gz
or
https://github.com/andgi/NBAda

> P.S. It is not GM GPL, only GPL, right?

COPYING file mentions GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2

@ 2015-12-21 20:18     ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> COPYING file mentions GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2

... but to be fair, file headers, e.g nbada-lock_free_dictionaries.adb, explicitly says the following:

... GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 20:23     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-12-21 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-12-21 20:55, olivier.henley@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 2:44:34 PM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> On 2015-12-21 20:13, olivier...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> For info and reference:
>>>
>>> http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/
>>
>> Very interesting... but where are the sources?
>
> http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/src/NBAda-0.1.0-pre0.tar.gz
> or
> https://github.com/andgi/NBAda

Thanks.

It looks that the implementation uses machine code insertions. Starting
with gcc 4.7 (or something) that should not be necessary any more.
Assuming the compiler is GNAT, of course.

>> P.S. It is not GM GPL, only GPL, right?
>
> COPYING file mentions GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2

Not good.

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 20:43       ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > COPYING file mentions GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2
>
> Not good.

1. Can license be changed afterward?
2. If it can, I could write to Anders Gidenstam and ask him if he agrees to change the licence to GM GPL. If green lighted, I could even do the boring work (modify the COPYING file and every headers note) and send him a pull request. What do you think?

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 21:08         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-12-21 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1. Can license be changed afterward?

Whoever owns the (c) has the right to make/authorize that change, so certainly give a try.

The problem with the GPL is that they give the right to anyone down stream to remove that exception later if they wish when they republish their changes.

David Botton

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-21 23:23           ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-21 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 4:08:07 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
> > 1. Can license be changed afterward?
>
> Whoever owns the (c) has the right to make/authorize that change, so certainly give a try.
>
> The problem with the GPL is that they give the right to anyone down stream to remove that exception later if they wish when they republish their changes.
>
> David Botton

I wrote to Mr. Gidenstam; https://github.com/andgi/NBAda/issues/1. Please annotate if needed.

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-22  7:54 ` anders.gidenstam
From: anders.gidenstam @ 2015-12-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 21 December 2015 20:13:36 UTC+1, olivier...@gmail.com  wrote:
> For info and reference:
>
> http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/

IIRC, it has been mentioned here before, but that was probably 10+ years ago
or so. I used to be a regular reader (but maybe not a so frequent poster) of
this news group back in the last years of the 1990s and the early 2000s.

I will consider adding the GM GPL exception, if there is interest for that.
Is there a GM GPLv3?

Also note that this is long stagnant code from the days of Ada95, and it is also far down my TODO list for the rather small amount of spare time I have.
Though, never say never..

Cheers,

Anders
Anders Gidenstam
WWW: http://github.com/andgi
     http://www.gidenstam.org/

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-22  9:25           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2015-12-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
>> 1. Can license be changed afterward?
>
> Whoever owns the (c) has the right to make/authorize that change, so certainly give a try.
>
> The problem with the GPL is that they give the right to anyone down
> stream to remove that exception later if they wish when they republish their changes.

The exception applies to the work as is, IIUC.
If changes of someone else establish a derivative work,
will the exception granted by the original author transfer to the
derivative work?
(Not by what it says AFAICT)
At the very least, there now are two owners;
one cannot speak for the other.

Does someone have a definitive statement?

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-22  9:52   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-12-22  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

anders.gidenstam@gmail.com writes:

> I will consider adding the GM GPL exception, if there is interest for that.
> Is there a GM GPLv3?

FSF GCC source is licensed under GPLv3, and runtime code now has the GCC
Runtime Library Exception:

--  As a special exception under Section 7 of GPL version 3, you are
--  granted additional permissions described in the GCC Runtime
--  Library Exception, version 3.1, as published by the Free Software
--  Foundation.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception.html
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-faq.html

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-22 10:39           ` Brent Caple
From: Brent Caple @ 2015-12-22 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-12-21, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

> The problem with the GPL is that they give the right to anyone down stream
> to remove that exception later if they wish when they republish their
> changes.

Did you mean the problem with LGPL is it can be changed to GPL?

Brent Caple

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-22 15:12             ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-12-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Did you mean the problem with LGPL is it can be changed to GPL?

That is true also, but I was referring to the removal of the GMGPL in GPLv2 or the GPL Runtime Exception (=GMGPL) for GPLv3.

The FSF agenda is that all software should be "free" so the GPL offers the most restrictive version of "free", i.e. you are not free to make anything not "free", so built in to the GPL is the right for anyone to convert anything less restrictive with the GPL to the rights restricting version of the GPL.

David Botton

* Re: NBAda (A library of lock-free data structures and algorithms for Ada) has never been mentionned here.
@ 2015-12-22 17:08   ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 2:54:31 AM UTC-5, anders.g...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, 21 December 2015 20:13:36 UTC+1, olivier...@gmail.com  wrote:
> > For info and reference:
> >
> > http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/Non-Blocking/
>
> IIRC, it has been mentioned here before, but that was probably 10+ years ago
> or so.

Did a "Search for topics" with NBAda; returned nothing so I figured it was time to refresh the forum's db. Thx for the correction.