* FSF style task list for Ada projects ?
@ 2001-12-27 13:47 Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2001-12-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anybody considered producing a version of the FSF's GNU task list which
would list projects to implement in Ada ?

I have looked at the usual web pages, but did not find anything in this
area and it occurs to me that such a list could help focus those people
interested in developing freely available Ada software.

For reference, the FSF's current task list can be found here:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/tasks.html

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, simon_clubley@remove_me.altavista.co.uk-Earth.UFP
In the task of removing Microsoft from the marketplace, I have discovered a

* Re: FSF style task list for Ada projects ?
@ 2001-12-27 15:44 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-12-27 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <QDFW7.11949$XC5.11245@www.newsranger.com>, Simon Clubley <simon_clubley@remove_me.altavista.co.uk-Earth.UFP> writes:
> Has anybody considered producing a version of the FSF's GNU task list which
> would list projects to implement in Ada ?
>
> I have looked at the usual web pages, but did not find anything in this
> area and it occurs to me that such a list could help focus those people
> interested in developing freely available Ada software.
>
> For reference, the FSF's current task list can be found here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/tasks.html

I don't understand the purpose of creating a list of
"projects to implement in Ada".  The list to which
you point is a list of software products, and many
of them could be done in Ada.

Having all the Ada fans go off and work in a separate
space is a bad idea because it reduces the chance to
expose others to Ada.

* Re: FSF style task list for Ada projects ?
@ 2001-12-27 18:13   ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2001-12-27 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Dec 2001 09:44:14 -0600, in article
<Ktp2GoPY$sKx@eisner.encompasserve.org>, Larry Kilgallen wrote:

>I don't understand the purpose of creating a list of
>"projects to implement in Ada".  The list to which
>you point is a list of software products, and many
>of them could be done in Ada.

An Ada list could list those projects which already exist, but
which Ada advocates believe could be better done in Ada. I am
interested in seeing a list of what those projects (both big and
small) may be.

>Having all the Ada fans go off and work in a separate
>space is a bad idea because it reduces the chance to
>expose others to Ada.

I don't understand this. Since the resultant programs would be
released to the world at large, why would this make a difference ?

Or are you thinking that if it's not an FSF project, then it may not
get the same level of exposure to non-Ada people ?

Simon.

--

@ 2001-12-27 19:37     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-12-27 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <OwJW7.12286$XC5.11350@www.newsranger.com>, Simon Clubley <simon_clubley@remove_me.altavista.co.uk-Earth.UFP> writes:
> On 27 Dec 2001 09:44:14 -0600, in article
> <Ktp2GoPY$sKx@eisner.encompasserve.org>, Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>>
>>I don't understand the purpose of creating a list of
>>"projects to implement in Ada".  The list to which
>>you point is a list of software products, and many
>>of them could be done in Ada.
>>

> An Ada list could list those projects which already exist, but
> which Ada advocates believe could be better done in Ada.

If you want to rewrite an existing project, it is better to pick
one that even advocates of the current language acknowledge is in
need of rewrite.  There is at least one on the list you cited.

>>Having all the Ada fans go off and work in a separate
>>space is a bad idea because it reduces the chance to
>>expose others to Ada.
>
> I don't understand this. Since the resultant programs would be
> released to the world at large, why would this make a difference ?

If there is an existing list, worthwhile projects on it should be
ticked off as completed by "those Ada folks".