* This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-22 20:23 foo wong
From: foo wong @ 2020-02-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Everyone

This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a different email address and user name.

As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why would anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already has trouble with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8 posts are from someone with no consideration for anyone else, what future does this list have? Why would a new person stay here and endure this?

There are roughly 10 guys here that post on a regular basis and I am not one of them.

I will open up a mailing list using my sourceforge account if no one else steps up but I am not the ideal person for this.

Will any of our regular contributors step up in my place?

-Patrick

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-22 22:55 ` Noel Duffy
From: Noel Duffy @ 2020-02-22 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/02/20 9:23 am, foo wong wrote:
> Why would anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already
> has trouble with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada
> projects around on the internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8
> posts are from someone with no consideration for anyone else, what
> future does this list have? Why would a new person stay here and
> endure this?

As a fellow lurker, I sympathise with your frustration, but giving up on
Usenet is not the answer. While we can't moderate the group, there are a
couple of steps that we can take that will light a fire underneath the
spammer's feet.

1. He posts through Google Groups. In the Google groups user interface
you can report a message for abuse, such as Spam, hate speech etc. I've
been doing this on all the aminer-bot's posts. If enough people do this
the messages get hidden in Google Groups and possibly Google will stop
allowing the messages through.

2. The spammer's originating IP is 24.200.162.29, which belongs to a
Canadian ISP called Videotron. Abuse reports can be sent to
abuse@videotron.ca. Again, if enough people report the spammer to his
ISP then they're likely to action.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-22 23:14 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2020-02-22 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 12:23:32 -0800 (PST), foo wong
<crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> declaimed the following:

>As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why would anyone want to use this list in this

	Well... For one thing -- it is NOT a mailing list. It is a Usenet
Newsgroup. What you might see if using GoogleGroups is an artifact --
Google mirrors many Usenet newsgroups along with having its own groups.

	I, for one, do not really like mailing lists, nor do I favor any
web-based forums.

	Mailing lists require me to set up suitable filters in my mail client
to sort posts decently, and unfortunately many mail clients can not do
proper nesting of threaded responses -- the best one might get is a sort by
time-stamp within the subject.

	Web-based forums require too much network traffic as every post has to
be fetched individually, on demand, formatting tends to get corrupted
(since HTML collapses common white space to a single space), etc.

	Decent Usenet News clients support proper message threading, cross-post
handling (posts that are sent to multiple groups at once -- sometimes a
useful feature), allow for batch down/up-load of messages with off-line
reading/replying, may allow for filtering before downloading. And Usenet
servers are distributed -- messages are copied between peer servers.
Messages are not all handled by a single point-of-failure server as with
most mailing lists.

	It would have been nice if the group had been founded as
comp.lang.ada.moderated , but with the decline of Usenet-aware users, it is
unlikely that a new, moderated, comp.* group could ever get propagated
sufficiently to be viable (remember my comment about distributed servers --
one has to seed traffic enough to get the major NNTP servers to start
carrying the new group).

	Out of nine filters I have in Agent based upon Author -- FOUR of them
test for GMAIL author addresses; GMAIL and GoogleGroups tend to be the
source for some 90% of the spam I encounter on Usenet.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-22 23:26   ` foo wong
From: foo wong @ 2020-02-22 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah man he is also a Canadian!

I will use the abuse link. please everyone, let's rally around Noel's advice and take the list back

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-22 23:29     ` foo wong
From: foo wong @ 2020-02-22 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Noel's link may not be displaying correctly. I believe that should be

abuse at videotron dot ca

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-23  8:22 ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2020-02-23  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 8:23:33 PM UTC, foo wong wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a different email address and user name.
>
> As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why would anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already has trouble with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8 posts are from someone with no consideration for anyone else, what future does this list have? Why would a new person stay here and endure this?

It is actually just one guy spamming everyone... I suppose we will have to endure till he kicks the bucket.

If you want to see real hell check sci.math - nearly everything there is spam ;)

> There are roughly 10 guys here that post on a regular basis and I am not one of them.
>
> I will open up a mailing list using my sourceforge account if no one else steps up but I am not the ideal person for this.
>
> Will any of our regular contributors step up in my place?
>
> -Patrick

The problem with opening new group is that it risks splitting community - which is serious consideration for one that as as small as ours. Not that getting spammed by certain self-titled genius helps...

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-23 10:35 ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2020-02-23 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

foo wong <crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> writes:
> As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to

It's just that one guy, easy to ignore, and the stuff is even borderline
related to Ada.  Really a non-problem.  Other newsgroups have far more
serious spam issues.  Just DNFTT and everything will be fine.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-23 11:22   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2020-02-23 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 8:23:33 PM UTC, foo wong wrote:

> This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a different email address and user name.

I've only been on here since the 1990s. The main difference I see these days is
that the rate of new users has increased, which seems like a good thing.

"My legs are gray, my ears are gnarled, my eyes are old and bent."
Monty Python's Life of Brian

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-23 12:49     ` foo wong
From: foo wong @ 2020-02-23 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was just logging in to ask people to also CC the CRTC when writing to videotron and then I read this. Posts supportive of the spammer and the state of the forum in general.

Unbelievable. Thanks for compromising our case.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-23 23:00 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2020-02-23 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 9:23:33 PM UTC+1, foo wong wrote:

> There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the internet [...]

For Ada project centralization, there is now Alire: https://alire.ada.dev/

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-24 22:06       ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2020-02-24 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 12:49:51 PM UTC, foo wong wrote:
> I was just logging in to ask people to also CC the CRTC when writing to videotron and then I read this. Posts supportive of the spammer and the state of the forum in general.
>
> Unbelievable. Thanks for compromising our case.

Well, I got a bridge to sell. It has a castle attached to it.

Sorry, but quick reality check shows that moderated lists don't really work. All it takes is switch of email address and you are back to square one. Unless you want to start vetting people before letting them join...

But I do agree that his latest ramblings are pushing me to the edge.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-24 22:42         ` Optikos
From: Optikos @ 2020-02-24 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 4:06:21 PM UTC-6, darkestkhan wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 12:49:51 PM UTC, foo wong wrote:
> > I was just logging in to ask people to also CC the CRTC when writing to videotron and then I read this. Posts supportive of the spammer and the state of the forum in general.
> >
> > Unbelievable. Thanks for compromising our case.
>
> Well, I got a bridge to sell. It has a castle attached to it.
>
> Sorry, but quick reality check shows that moderated lists don't really work. All it takes is switch of email
> address and you are back to square one.

http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm#Posting

As described in the obsolescent* webpage above, moderated newsgroups were not vetted per email •address•; they were vetted per top-level posting or reply-within-thread, which necessitated minutes to hours of delay for one of the human-being moderators to read the top-level posting or reply-within-thread to see whether the top-level posting or reply-within-thread were 1) entirely off-topic or 2) minimally on-topic but against the newsgroup's published rules (e.g., flaming; commercial advertising).

That being said, perhaps the moderators had extra-special watchlists of troublemaker email addresses that were red-flagged for closer reading than the run-of-the-mill usual content-based vetting that was usually skim-reading to get the gist of the content.

> Unless you want to start vetting people before letting them join...

As mentioned above, logically there is another category of “unless” that is not the one that you mentioned.

> But I do agree that his latest ramblings are pushing me to the edge.

* We need to fully understand what technologically collapsed in the newsgroup/Google-groups world several years ago that caused comp.lang.c++.moderated to cease to exist due to (perceived?) technical difficulty of maintain.  Perhaps they gave up too quickly.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-24 22:52         ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2020-02-24 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"darkestkhan" <darkestkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, but quick reality check shows that moderated lists don't really
>work. All it takes is switch of email address and you are back to square
>one. Unless you want to start vetting people before letting them join...

There's more options than that for moderation. Ada-Comment is partially
moderated, in that new users and public posts are moderated, but long-time
members are not moderated. It seems to work well, I think there's only been
one spam posting to the list in 20 years (and that was because I sent the
wrong moderation command for a message). And it doesn't make too much work
for the moderator (me).

> But I do agree that his latest ramblings are pushing me to the edge.

The problem I have is that a lot of people hate mailing lists and want to
replace them with something else. So I'm not sure that creating a new one is
the answer to anything. Moreover, the single point of failure isn't great.

But we also see what happens with distributed systems (which are not really
moderatable). As I said last week, I'm amazed that this place has worked as
well as it has. (I think Jeff Carter's point was that we've had periodic
nutcases for decades, it's not really worse than it ever has been - at least
yet.)

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-24 23:18           ` foo wong
From: foo wong @ 2020-02-24 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

moderated lists do work.

Please see :
https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/discussion/

It took me years to overcome the FUD and give COBOL a try, I love it and the folks over at GnuCOBOL are wonderful. We just had a very aggressive person posting and it was well handled.

We have lots of fun and we can talk about programming and make jokes. It is night and day from this place. GnuCOBOL has someone running it and is connected to the FSF. What is this place connected to and who is running this show?

Even without the spam-machine guy, this list can be quite angry and unfriendly at times. Moderation can help to keep things civil

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-25 17:17             ` Kevin K
From: Kevin K @ 2020-02-25 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't realize there was still a way to report spam/abuse.  A change a few years ago to the user interface and I thought it went away.

Google made it harder to find.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-25 23:41               ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2020-02-25 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 09:17:32 -0800 (PST), Kevin K <kevink4@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>I didn't realize there was still a way to report spam/abuse.  A change a few years ago to the user interface and I thought it went away.
>
>Google made it harder to find.

	<cynic mode> Of course they did -- since so much comes from them and
the only way they'd be able to control it is to charge people for email and
GoogleGroups access so that banned individuals can't just drop one account
and create a new account the next day </cynic mode>

@ 2020-02-26  2:53 ` Bertrand Sindri
From: Bertrand Sindri @ 2020-02-26  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

foo wong <crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate.

Well, you would have a way to moderate if you were using a proper
Usenet newsreader instead of that absolutely awful Google Groups web
interface.  With a proper newsreader you would have available to you a
killfile that you could use to remove the spammers posts from your view
of the news group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killfile

You can find a list of real Usenet newsreaders here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders

And you can use one of those newsreaders to access Usenet via (at
least) one of these two newsservers:

Eternal September
https://www.eternal-september.org/

AIOE
https://www.aioe.org/

> Why would anyone want to use this list in this condition.

This is not a mailing list.  This is a Usenet newsgroup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

> Why would a new person stay here and endure this?

If you used a real newsreader, you could enter the spammer into your
killfile and your newsreader would remove their posts from your view.
Afterwhich you could continue to read the group without enduring the
spammers posts.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-26  8:50   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2020-02-26  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/02/2020 02:53, Bertrand Sindri wrote:
> foo wong <crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
>> As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate.
>
> Well, you would have a way to moderate if you were using a proper
> Usenet newsreader instead of that absolutely awful Google Groups web
> interface.  With a proper newsreader you would have available to you a
> killfile that you could use to remove the spammers posts from your view
> of the news group.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killfile

Yup, setting up in Thunderbird and setting a filter is really easy.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-29  0:25 ` Azathoth Hastur
From: Azathoth Hastur @ 2020-02-29  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 3:23:33 PM UTC-5, foo wong wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a different email address and user name.
>
> As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why would anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already has trouble with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8 posts are from someone with no consideration for anyone else, what future does this list have? Why would a new person stay here and endure this?
>
> There are roughly 10 guys here that post on a regular basis and I am not one of them.
>
> I will open up a mailing list using my sourceforge account if no one else steps up but I am not the ideal person for this.
>
> Will any of our regular contributors step up in my place?
>
> -Patrick

where?

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-29  0:26             ` Azathoth Hastur
From: Azathoth Hastur @ 2020-02-29  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:18:37 PM UTC-5, foo wong wrote:
> moderated lists do work.
>
> Please see :
> https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/discussion/
>
> It took me years to overcome the FUD and give COBOL a try, I love it and the folks over at GnuCOBOL are wonderful. We just had a very aggressive person posting and it was well handled.
>
> We have lots of fun and we can talk about programming and make jokes. It is night and day from this place. GnuCOBOL has someone running it and is connected to the FSF. What is this place connected to and who is running this show?
>
> Even without the spam-machine guy, this list can be quite angry and unfriendly at times. Moderation can help to keep things civil

wtf

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-02-29  2:43   ` Optikos
From: Optikos @ 2020-02-29  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 6:25:52 PM UTC-6, Azathoth Hastur wrote:
> On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 3:23:33 PM UTC-5, foo wong wrote:
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a different email address and user name.
> >
> > As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why would anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already has trouble with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8 posts are from someone with no consideration for anyone else, what future does this list have? Why would a new person stay here and endure this?
> >
> > There are roughly 10 guys here that post on a regular basis and I am not one of them.
> >
> > I will open up a mailing list using my sourceforge account if no one else steps up but I am not the ideal person for this.
> >
> > Will any of our regular contributors step up in my place?
> >
> > -Patrick
>
> where?

Conceivably it could be done here on c.l.a apparently.  This is certainly true for Google Groups that were not historically USENET newsgroups.  In this post-USENET era, it is not clear to me for grandfathered USENET newsgroups including but not limited to c.l.a
1) how much Google Groups is just the biggest USENET-esque relayer in a constellation of equal-peer USENET-esque relayers versus
2) how much all would-have-been USENET relayers are downstream from Google as the superheadend nowadays.

If #2 then the following feature could be turned on to make c.l.a moderated henceforth.

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/2466386?hl=en

Conversely, as I posted above 3 days ago, Daveed Vandevoorde et. al. gave up trying to maintain their infrastructure for c.l.c++.moderated due to some sort of conflict with Google Groups.  They made it sound as if it were a technical conflict (as opposed to, say, licensing/legal) that bitrot had occurred so severely that they were going to need to mostly or entirely rewrite their longstanding c.l.c.moderated and c.l.c++.moderated infrastructure.  No one wanted to invest that much effort so the C & C++ communities abandoned their .moderated Google Groups entirely.  But their insurmountable task might have been because they demanded on having c.l.c.moderated and c.l.c++.moderated (and a few other newsgroups, as I understand it) all managed collectively by the same common infrastructure that required multiple-community approval for cross-posting to, say, both c.l.c.moderated and c.l.c++.moderated, which is not a use case that c.l.a would have at all.   Someone here who cares should re-investigate all this in Google Group world and in c.l.c.moderated/c.l.c+.moderated world (and the intersection of those 2 disparate worlds) to see whether the Google Groups support link above could serve as the basis for a new comp.lang.ada.moderated (or whether this c.l.a could itself be converted to moderated, assuming that Randy were to permit doing so).

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16  6:41 ` Paul W. Schleck
From: Paul W. Schleck @ 2020-04-16  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <7a10e084-c1d0-4e20-a6f7-c59867725713@googlegroups.com> foo wong <crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> writes:

>Hi Everyone

>This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a=
> different email address and user name.

>As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why w=
>ould anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already has troubl=
>e with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the =
>internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8 posts are from someone with =
>no consideration for anyone else, what future does this list have? Why woul=
>d a new person stay here and endure this?

>There are roughly 10 guys here that post on a regular basis and I am not on=
>e of them.

>I will open up a mailing list using my sourceforge account if no one else s=
>teps up but I am not the ideal person for this.

>Will any of our regular contributors step up in my place?

>-Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Running a moderated Usenet newsgroup is very doable from a technical and
administrative point-of-view.  Just need to recruit a motivated team and
submit the necessary Request for Discussion (RFD) to have the newsgroup
created.  This process usually takes between about 3 and 6 months before
the newsgroup is approved by appropriate authority and the creation
message is propagated.  Preconfigured software that supports team-based
moderation via a web interface is available that can be stood up within
hours at a public-access ISP for minimal cost.  Obviously some
investment of time and money will be involved, but should be manageable
long-term, especially for a motivated and interested team.  My team has
been moderating our newsgroups with these tools and services for about
13 years now.  I have no direct financial stake in these services, I am
only a satisfied customer.

If you are serious, and only if you are serious, please contact me at my
e-mail address below, and we can get the ball rolling.

- - Paul

(Moderator, rec.radio.amateur.moderated and rec.radio.info)

- --
Paul W. Schleck
pschleck@novia.net
http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger pschleck@novia.net for PGP Public Key

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16 13:44 ` darek
From: darek @ 2020-04-16 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,
 I am a member of the BlackBox community, and it works pretty well. Have a look at: https://community.blackboxframework.org

You need to register, but we have to cover the costs of hosting the service.

Would that work with the Ada community?

Cheers,
  Darek

@ 2020-04-16 15:01   ` Optikos
From: Optikos @ 2020-04-16 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 1:41:11 AM UTC-5, Paul W. Schleck wrote:

> In <7a10e084-c1d0-4e20-a6f7-c59867725713@googlegroups.com> foo wong <crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> writes:
>
> >Hi Everyone
>
> >This is Patrick, I have posted here for years(since 2013) but mostly with a=
> > different email address and user name.
>
> >As is plain to see, we are being spammed and have no way to moderate. Why w=
> >ould anyone want to use this list in this condition. Ada already has troubl=
> >e with it's image. There are far too many stale Ada projects around on the =
> >internet and with a list were 5 out of every 8 posts are from someone with =
> >no consideration for anyone else, what future does this list have? Why woul=
> >d a new person stay here and endure this?
>
> >There are roughly 10 guys here that post on a regular basis and I am not on=
> >e of them.
>
> >I will open up a mailing list using my sourceforge account if no one else s=
> >teps up but I am not the ideal person for this.
>
> >Will any of our regular contributors step up in my place?
>
> >-Patrick
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Running a moderated Usenet newsgroup is very doable from a technical and
> administrative point-of-view.  Just need to recruit a motivated team and
> submit the necessary Request for Discussion (RFD) to have the newsgroup
> created.  This process usually takes between about 3 and 6 months before
> the newsgroup is approved by appropriate authority and the creation
> message is propagated.  Preconfigured software that supports team-based
> moderation via a web interface is available that can be stood up within
> hours at a public-access ISP for minimal cost.  Obviously some
> investment of time and money will be involved, but should be manageable
> long-term, especially for a motivated and interested team.  My team has
> been moderating our newsgroups with these tools and services for about
> 13 years now.  I have no direct financial stake in these services, I am
> only a satisfied customer.
>
> If you are serious, and only if you are serious, please contact me at my
> e-mail address below, and we can get the ball rolling.
>
> - - Paul
>
> (Moderator, rec.radio.amateur.moderated and rec.radio.info)
>
> - --
> Paul W. Schleck
> pschleck@novia.net
> http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
> Finger pschleck@novia.net for PGP Public Key

1) Do people envision c.l.a itself become moderated?
or
2) Do people envision a new comp.lang.ada.moderated underneath c.l.a the way that c.l.c.moderated and c.l.c++.moderated were underneath unmoderated c.l.c and c.l.c++, respectively?

If #1, then Randy would need to be the one to do it and/or approve it.
If #2, then I am not sure whether Randy needs to be involved in approving or setting up a subordinated usenet-newsgroup domain.  If not, who would be the primary administrator of c.l.a.moderated?

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16 15:37     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2020-04-16 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2020-04-16 18:01, Optikos wrote:

> 1) Do people envision c.l.a itself become moderated?
> or
> 2) Do people envision a new comp.lang.ada.moderated underneath c.l.a the way that c.l.c.moderated and c.l.c++.moderated were underneath unmoderated c.l.c and c.l.c++, respectively?

The amount of spam on comp.lang.ada is so minuscule that moderation is
overkill. Please don't further fragment the Ada discussion environment
by setting up any new lists, especially not any web-forum-based stuff.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16 15:50   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2020-04-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

darek <darek.maksimiuk@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi All, I am a member of the BlackBox community, and it works pretty
> well. Have a look at: https://community.blackboxframework.org
>
> You need to register, but we have to cover the costs of hosting the service.
>
> Would that work with the Ada community?

As Niklas has said, the Ada community is small and needs no
fragmentation.  Also the amount of spam here on Usenet comp.lang.ada is
insignificant.  I vote for the status quo, FWIW.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16 15:54   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2020-04-16 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 06:44:08 -0700 (PDT), darek <darek.maksimiuk@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>You need to register, but we have to cover the costs of hosting the service.
>
>Would that work with the Ada community?

	Not from my viewpoint... Usenet is distributed (one server going down
only affects users of that server, the rest continue essentially with not
effect, and when that server comes back up it will resynchronize with its
peer servers for the backlog traffic). Usenet doesn't require incessant
interactive operations -- one can download all new traffic and actually
disconnect from the net while reading/replying, and then submit all

	I already have too many web-based forums, all of which have slightly
different layouts, all of which require me to find new traffic of interest,
and all of which lack reasonable filtering... Not to mention that every
action requires back&forth with the server.

@ 2020-04-16 18:12     ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2020-04-16 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> insignificant.  I vote for the status quo, FWIW.

So do I. The well-known spammer has disappeared for a while.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16 19:06     ` darek
From: darek @ 2020-04-16 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ludovic,
 I guess, the BlackBox community is much smaller than the number of Ada users posting here.

Cheers,
  Darek

@ 2020-04-16 21:01       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2020-04-16 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:

>> insignificant.  I vote for the status quo, FWIW.
>
> So do I. The well-known spammer has disappeared for a while.

Me too.

The spammer was annoying but killfile-able.

* Re: This List is Unusable. Starting a New Moderated List Now!
@ 2020-04-16 21:59         ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2020-04-16 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 2:01:36 PM UTC-7, Simon Wright wrote:
> AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:
>
> >> insignificant.  I vote for the status quo, FWIW.
> >
> > So do I. The well-known spammer has disappeared for a while.
>
> Me too.
>
> The spammer was annoying but killfile-able.

We should be good as long as this spammer does not resurface. For a long time, I have thought he has no shame. Look like he does now.