* Re: Microsoft & Ada
@ 2004-09-13  4:39 Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2004-09-13  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

      Faustian would be a better term.  However, if we get lucky, making any
reasonable deal with Microsoft would be much better than our present
diminished prospects.  All that I wish for in the .Net world is that Ada is
brought up to be equal to Eiffel.
      If Microsoft should discover Ada or SPARK, more power to them.  I am
on the side of any group of capitalists who use Ada.  If the new Ada users
demolish their competition, I will rejoice.  Frankly, I believe that Ada can
provide Microsoft with something better than money, a chance to make their
competitors look like a group of fools.  Any one of the present competitors
could have stopped Microsoft, if they made reliable well engineered
products.  Instead the competitors use Java and XML DTDs.  When the economy
functions correctly, stupid business men go broke.  I might feel sorry for
the average shareholders; however, this is the way capitalism is supposed to
work.
      Bob Leif
      -------------------
      Message: 7
      Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:05:24 +0800
      From: Adrian Hoe <AdrianHoe@nowhere.com>
      Subject: Re: Microsoft & Ada
      To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org

      stephane richard wrote:
      >>That's not a big problem. Ada needs some backing. If Microsoft has
an Ada
      >>compiler this will be a good thing to have Ada used in projects,
manager
      >>will
      >>be reassure... enven if you do not use Microsoft Visual Ada :)
      >>
      >>Pascal.
      >>

      > I second this fully :-).   no matter what the reason, even if any,
it could
      > be a great
      > step for Ada.

      To trade Ada's soul for that? This sounds very satanic. :(
      --
      Adrian Hoe
      m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

* Re: Microsoft & Ada (and also a remark on DTDs prohibiting economic success)
@ 2004-09-13 10:01 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-09-13 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif <rleif@rleif.com> wrote:
:   Any one of the present competitors
: could have stopped Microsoft, if they made reliable well engineered
: products.  Instead the competitors use Java and XML DTDs.  When the economy
: functions correctly, stupid business men go broke.

I think it's not very smart to judge XML DTDs by narrowing one's
view down to records numeric medical data. 8-) Likewise, rockstable
proven software without much need to manually debug data streams can
profit from the use of a scheme like ASN.1.

-- Georg

* Re: Microsoft & Ada
@ 2004-09-14  2:19 ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2004-09-14  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif wrote:
>       Faustian would be a better term.  However, if we get lucky, making any
> reasonable deal with Microsoft would be much better than our present
> diminished prospects.  All that I wish for in the .Net world is that Ada is
> brought up to be equal to Eiffel.
>       If Microsoft should discover Ada or SPARK, more power to them.  I am
> on the side of any group of capitalists who use Ada.  If the new Ada users
> demolish their competition, I will rejoice.  Frankly, I believe that Ada can
> provide Microsoft with something better than money, a chance to make their
> competitors look like a group of fools.  Any one of the present competitors
> could have stopped Microsoft, if they made reliable well engineered
> products.  Instead the competitors use Java and XML DTDs.  When the economy
> functions correctly, stupid business men go broke.  I might feel sorry for
> the average shareholders; however, this is the way capitalism is supposed to
> work.

If M$ uses Ada to develop its Windows and other products, and they get
hell lot of good quality and stability and they cut their pricing, I
would consider to go back to Windows.

Right now, I am comfortable with Mac OS X and Linux. And I enjoy
developing in Ada on OS made of C. :-)

--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m