* A history question
@ 2005-01-10 22:48 Mok-Kong Shen
From: Mok-Kong Shen @ 2005-01-10 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to http://www.cs.fit.edu/~ryan/ada/ada-hist.html
HOLWG evaluated 23 existing languages against the Tinman
requirements. C was not among these languages. Does anyone
happen to know why? Thanks.

M. K. Shen

* Re: A history question
@ 2005-01-10 23:48 ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2005-01-10 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mok-Kong Shen  <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de> wrote:
>According to http://www.cs.fit.edu/~ryan/ada/ada-hist.html
>HOLWG evaluated 23 existing languages against the Tinman
>requirements. C was not among these languages. Does anyone
>happen to know why? Thanks.

I quote from <http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/quotes.html>, roughly
half-way down the page with quotes:

    "When Bell Labs were invited to evaluate C against the DoD
    requirements, they said that there was no chance of C meeting the
    [STEELMAN] requirements of readability, safety, etc, for which
    we were striving, and that it should not even be on the list of
    evaluated languages.  We recognized the truth in their observation
    and honored their request."

    William H. Whitaker, Col, USAF (ret), "Ada - The Project: The
    DoD High Order Language Working Group", History of Programming
    Languages - II, ACM SIGPlan Notices, v.28, #3, March 1993, pg 314

I hope this helps.

Dirk (Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.ac.be for Ada-Belgium/Europe/WG9 mail)

*** 10th Intl.Conf.on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe'2005
*** June 20-24, 2005 ***  York, UK  ***  http://www.ada-europe.org ***