* [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-08 16:11 Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-08 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

does anybody in this newsgroup know why it is not possible anymore
to get issues of the CrossTalk magazine? The server seems to reject
all requests.

Thanks

Michael

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-08 18:34 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2002-11-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dr. Michael Paus" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody in this newsgroup know why it is not possible anymore
> to get issues of the CrossTalk magazine? The server seems to reject
> all requests.

Probably because they rearranged their web site, so the old links no
longer work.  Just start at the STSC's home page
(http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/index.html) and navigate to Crosstalk from
there.

Marc A. Criley
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-09 14:15   ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-09 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:
> "Dr. Michael Paus" wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>does anybody in this newsgroup know why it is not possible anymore
>>to get issues of the CrossTalk magazine? The server seems to reject
>>all requests.
>

> Probably because they rearranged their web site, so the old links no
> longer work.  Just start at the STSC's home page
> (http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/index.html) and navigate to Crosstalk from
> there.

Well, that's exactly where the problem starts. This server does not accept
any connections. My impression is that many military servers have been
closed for foreigners like me. Does anybody know what the exact policy is?

@ 2002-11-09 15:16     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Michael Paus wrote:
> Marc A. Criley wrote:
>>
>> Probably because they rearranged their web site, so the old links no
>> longer work.  Just start at the STSC's home page
>> (http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/index.html) and navigate to Crosstalk from
>> there.
>
> Well, that's exactly where the problem starts. This server does not accept
> any connections. My impression is that many military servers have been
> closed for foreigners like me. Does anybody know what the exact policy is?

I can access that server and also Crosstalk from Norway.

Perhaps Bush is still sulking over Schr�der attitude to Irak?

--
Preben Randhol ------------------------ http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
�There are three things you can do to a woman. You can love her, suffer

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-09 20:02       ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-11-09 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> I can access that server and also Crosstalk from Norway.
>
> Perhaps Bush is still sulking over Schr�der attitude to Irak?

I had trouble with accessing the site yesterday, but it's fine today.
I'm in the US.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-10  9:56 ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did an internet search on some topic and I found that many military
sites don't seem to be accessible. The problem is not that the found
link is outdated. The servers just seem to refuse any connection.

Could anybody (preferably outside the US) please try whether these
sites are accessible to him?

Here are just a few of the sites I cannot reach.

http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil
http://akea-cio.army.mil
http://www.forscom.army.mil
http://www.doncio.navy.mil
http://www.abca.hqda.pentagon.mil
http://www.dsp.dla.mil/newsletters

Thank you for your help

@ 2002-11-10 10:49   ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-11-10 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-11-10 at 10:56 Dr. Michael Paus wrote:

>Could anybody (preferably outside the US) please try whether these
>sites are accessible to him?
>
>Here are just a few of the sites I cannot reach.

Poland, 10th of November:

                                     -- but http://www.dsp.dla.mil/ works
>Thank you for your help

No problem,
Michal

--   ___        _
--  / _ \      | |                      I Choose Ada:
-- | |_| |  ___| |   _____   The Most Trusted Name in Software (TM)
-- |  _  | | __  |  | __  |
-- |_| |_| |_____|_ |_____|_ http://www.adaic.org/whyada/choose.html

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-10 12:15   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-11-10 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com> writes:

> Could anybody (preferably outside the US) please try whether these
> sites are accessible to him?

From the UK:

@ 2002-11-10 13:49     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-11-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:

> From the UK:
>

> >http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil                OK
> >http://akea-cio.army.mil                   wants password
> >http://www.forscom.army.mil                could not connect
> >http://www.doncio.navy.mil                 timeout
> >http://www.abca.hqda.pentagon.mil          timeout
> >http://www.dsp.dla.mil/newsletters         Directory Listing Denied

That's nice isn't it.  They don't even trust their allies! ;)

--
for personal replies change spamoff to chris

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-10 20:19       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-10 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >http://www.forscom.army.mil                could not connect
  Accessible from California via IE, but Netscape Communicator 4.79
goes into a loop and must be aborted.

> >http://www.doncio.navy.mil                 timeout
> >http://www.abca.hqda.pentagon.mil          timeout
  Both work OK from California via Netscape.

> That's nice isn't it.  They don't even trust their allies! ;)
  Once burned - former allies the Mujahadeen and Osama bin Laden
and Saddam Hussein - twice shy.  And given the actions of the Bush
administration, who knows who, including California, will stay an ally?

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-11  9:30         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>> That's nice isn't it.  They don't even trust their allies! ;)
>   Once burned - former allies the Mujahadeen and Osama bin Laden
> and Saddam Hussein - twice shy.  And given the actions of the Bush

Are you comparing us to those two?

--

@ 2002-11-11 10:08           ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-11 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>
>>>That's nice isn't it.  They don't even trust their allies! ;)
>>
>>  Once burned - former allies the Mujahadeen and Osama bin Laden
>>and Saddam Hussein - twice shy.  And given the actions of the Bush
>

> Are you comparing us to those two?

If I had a choice I would like to be compared with California :-)

I asked a colleague to check this fron within EADS and the result
was negative. So even from one of the biggest defence companies in
Europe you cannot access this site. Germany definitely seems to be
locked out. I really wonder what is going on there.

@ 2002-11-11 14:57       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-11-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Putz9.248$fX5.993@news13-win.server.ntlworld.com>...
> Simon Wright wrote:
>
> > From the UK:
> >

> > >http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil                OK
> > >http://akea-cio.army.mil                   wants password
> > >http://www.forscom.army.mil                could not connect
> > >http://www.doncio.navy.mil                 timeout
> > >http://www.abca.hqda.pentagon.mil          timeout
> > >http://www.dsp.dla.mil/newsletters         Directory Listing Denied
>

> That's nice isn't it.  They don't even trust their allies! ;)

Of course not. Our allies are the only ones who can afford to spy on
us these days. :-)

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-11 15:57         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

?

--

@ 2002-11-11 16:47           ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-11-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>
> >>That's nice isn't it.  They don't even trust their allies! ;)
> >
> >  Once burned - former allies the Mujahadeen and Osama bin Laden
> >and Saddam Hussein - twice shy.  And given the actions of the Bush
>

> Are you comparing us to those two?

He'd better not be or the European Thought Police will be after him...

:(

--

@ 2002-11-12  9:40   ` Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2002-11-12  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can not open this site from Slovenia,

> http://akea-cio.army.mil

but have no problems viewing it if i want to.
If this is an issue, I could set up a mirror
in Uzbekistan or something :)

Regards,
Karel Miklav

PS.: these are really fine sites!

* Re: [OT] Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2002-11-12 16:31           ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-11-12 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnasvkps.62h.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...
> Ted Dennison wrote:
>
> > Of course not. Our allies are the only ones who can afford to spy on
> > us these days. :-)
>
> ?

As fate would have it, this story just came across the wires
yesterday: http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=52023

* Re: Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2005-01-17  5:44   ` suyash.agnihotri
From: suyash.agnihotri @ 2005-01-17  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

INDIA 17 jan 2005

http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil - not working
http://akea-cio.army.mil - not working
http://www.forscom.army.mil - working
http://www.doncio.navy.mil - not working
http://www.abca.hqda.pentagon.mil - not working
http://www.dsp.dla.mil/newsletters - not working

@ 2005-01-20 22:08     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-01-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

suyash.agnihotri@gmail.com wrote:

> INDIA 17 jan 2005
>
> http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil - not working
> http://akea-cio.army.mil - not working
> http://www.forscom.army.mil - working
> http://www.doncio.navy.mil - not working
> http://www.abca.hqda.pentagon.mil - not working
> http://www.dsp.dla.mil/newsletters - not working

At least some of these sites are blocked to certain countries - I can
see them here in the UK.

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Access to CrossTalk magazine issues
@ 2005-01-20 22:12       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-01-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> suyash.agnihotri@gmail.com wrote: