* GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-01  1:52 John Perry
From: John Perry @ 2021-02-01  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Suppose I've developed a package A, saved as a project. Now I'm working on package B. I make A available by specifying it in my gpr file, either as a with statement or by adding it to Source_Dirs. In package B I have the statement "with A;".

At this point, while I edit package B, Gnat Studio will code-complete any entity of package B, as well as any entity from the Ada standard library, but it won't code-complete entities from package A, such as A.Some_Feature.

How do I get Gnat Studio to do that?

thanks
john perry

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-01  7:51 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2021-02-01  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2021-02-01 02:52, John Perry wrote:

> Suppose I've developed a package A, saved as a project. Now I'm working on package B. I make A available by specifying it in my gpr file, either as a with statement or by adding it to Source_Dirs. In package B I have the statement "with A;".
>
> At this point, while I edit package B, Gnat Studio will code-complete any entity of package B, as well as any entity from the Ada standard library, but it won't code-complete entities from package A, such as A.Some_Feature.
>
> How do I get Gnat Studio to do that?

It is a bug introduced in the latest version. Cross-referencing (it
seems more than just auto-completion affected) across packages worked
fine in earlier GPS versions.

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-01 15:13   ` John Perry
From: John Perry @ 2021-02-01 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 1:52:02 AM UTC-6, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> It is a bug introduced in the latest version. Cross-referencing (it
> seems more than just auto-completion affected) across packages worked
> fine in earlier GPS versions.

Thank you very much. One place it fails for me is indeed the most recent Gnat Studio. However, I can't get it to work in a previous version, either, perhaps because I'm using the wrong method to include it. (GPS 2019, last one on Mac)

One thing I tried was

    with "path/to/package/A.gpr";
    project B is
        -- etc.

Another thing I tried was

    project B is
        for Source_Dir use ("src","path/to/package/src");
        -- etc.

Apparently neither of those does what I want. Does it look as if I am missing something?

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-02 23:00     ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2021-02-02 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might try this ...

To enable 'Find All References' => Append 'GPS.LSP.ADA_SUPPORT=no' to ~/.gnatstudio/traces.cfg

... it should help with finding references and refactoring.

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-02 23:27     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2021-02-02 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Perry <john.perry@usm.edu> writes:

> On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 1:52:02 AM UTC-6, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> It is a bug introduced in the latest version. Cross-referencing (it
>> seems more than just auto-completion affected) across packages worked
>> fine in earlier GPS versions.
>
> Thank you very much. One place it fails for me is indeed the most
> recent Gnat Studio. However, I can't get it to work in a previous
> version, either, perhaps because I'm using the wrong method to include
> it. (GPS 2019, last one on Mac)
>
> One thing I tried was
>
>     with "path/to/package/A.gpr";
>     project B is
>         -- etc.

What error message did this give?

You probably have to put the package directory in the environment variable
GPR_PROJECT_FILES.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-03 21:52       ` John Perry
From: John Perry @ 2021-02-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 5:00:22 PM UTC-6, roda...@gmail.com wrote:
> You might try this ...
>
> To enable 'Find All References' => Append 'GPS.LSP.ADA_SUPPORT=no' to ~/.gnatstudio/traces.cfg
>
> ... it should help with finding references and refactoring.

Wow, that worked. Can you explain why? I don't see the connection at all. (I don't know what "GPS.LSP" means, either.)

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-03 21:55       ` John Perry
From: John Perry @ 2021-02-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 5:00:22 PM UTC-6, roda...@gmail.com wrote:
> You might try this ...
>
> To enable 'Find All References' => Append 'GPS.LSP.ADA_SUPPORT=no' to ~/.gnatstudio/traces.cfg
>
> ... it should help with finding references and refactoring.

...oddly, once I remove that file it still works. I know it wasn't working before; that's why I asked. Very confusing. I'll look into it more & report back.

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-12 12:32         ` Jérôme Haguet
From: Jérôme Haguet @ 2021-02-12 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 3 février 2021 à 22:52:59 UTC+1, john....@usm.edu a écrit :
> On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 5:00:22 PM UTC-6, roda...@gmail.com wrote:
> > You might try this ...
> >
> > To enable 'Find All References' => Append 'GPS.LSP.ADA_SUPPORT=no' to ~/.gnatstudio/traces.cfg
> >
> > ... it should help with finding references and refactoring.
> Wow, that worked. Can you explain why? I don't see the connection at all. (I don't know what "GPS.LSP" means, either.)

You can find information in GNAT Studio Release Notes
https://docs.adacore.com/gps-docs/release_notes/build/singlehtml/index.html#document-relnotes_20

* Re: GPS/Gnat Studio: Code completion with other projects
@ 2021-02-12 16:48         ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2021-02-12 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 2:52:59 PM UTC-7, john wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 5:00:22 PM UTC-6, roda wrote:
> > You might try this ...
> >
> > To enable 'Find All References' => Append 'GPS.LSP.ADA_SUPPORT=no' to ~/.gnatstudio/traces.cfg
> >
> > ... it should help with finding references and refactoring.
> Wow, that worked. Can you explain why? I don't see the connection at all. (I don't know what "GPS.LSP" means, either.)
I *think* it's "Language Server Plugin".