* Windows Service (ADA)
@ 2004-11-15 12:37 David Amies
From: David Amies @ 2004-11-15 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am new to ADA, so sorry if this has been asked before.

I am wanting to write a windows service, I have no experience writing
code in ADA or C++ or VB for that matter. I do have plenty writing in
VBScript and PHP and HTML, and some C (a long time ago).

I prefer to lean by reading manual's and other web pages, however I
can't seem to find anything relevant to what I am trying to do. Probably
this is just cause I'm new to this language and don't know where to
look, so I am hoping for a few pointers to some helpful relevant links.

Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

* Re: Windows Service (ADA)
@ 2004-11-15 13:01 ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-11-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Amies" <damies@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ADA, so sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I am wanting to write a windows service, I have no experience writing
> code in ADA or C++ or VB for that matter. I do have plenty writing in
> VBScript and PHP and HTML, and some C (a long time ago).
>
> I prefer to lean by reading manual's and other web pages, however I
> can't seem to find anything relevant to what I am trying to do. Probably
> this is just cause I'm new to this language and don't know where to
> look, so I am hoping for a few pointers to some helpful relevant links.
>
> Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave.

Hi David,
http://www.adapower.com has a complete section on Windows development.
Probably where you'd want to go first.  look for GWindows among other
things.  http://www.gnavi.org/gwindows/ is the direct link to everything
GWindows related.

Also, on my website (http://www.adaworld.com) in my projects pages
(application projects and binding projects both) there's windows related
material there.

I would have to suggest brushing up your Ada skills a bit, since it's been a
long time since you did C programming.  Just take a look here:
http://www.techtutorials.info/prada.html, Ada Power has some interesting
reading material as well.  Also, my website has a learning center, take a
look at the tutorials there.

Hope this helps.

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

* Re: Windows Service (ADA)
@ 2004-11-15 13:27 ` Adrien Plisson
From: Adrien Plisson @ 2004-11-15 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Amies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ADA, so sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I am wanting to write a windows service, I have no experience writing
> code in ADA or C++ or VB for that matter. I do have plenty writing in
> VBScript and PHP and HTML, and some C (a long time ago).

well, this should not help a lot in writing a windows service...

> I prefer to lean by reading manual's and other web pages, however I
> can't seem to find anything relevant to what I am trying to do. Probably
> this is just cause I'm new to this language and don't know where to
> look, so I am hoping for a few pointers to some helpful relevant links.

ok.
a Windows service is not written specifically in Ada, and i'm not sure you will
find any example on writing a Windows service in Ada. but you can do it...

first, learn programming again (using your old C background for example), and
learn Ada.

then, learn how to interact with Windows from Ada (using Win32Ada for example).

then you will need to understand how you can write a service. here are some
pointers that can serve as a starting point:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndllpro/html/msdn_ntservic.asp
http://www.devx.com/cplus/Article/9857

(you may consider first writing a standard application, then, when everything
is working, converting it to a service)

hope this helps.

--
rien

* Re: Windows Service (ADA)
@ 2004-11-15 16:41 ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2004-11-15 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

måndag 15 november 2004 13:37 skrev David Amies:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ADA, so sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I am wanting to write a windows service, I have no experience writing
> code in ADA or C++ or VB for that matter. I do have plenty writing in
> VBScript and PHP and HTML, and some C (a long time ago).
>
> I prefer to lean by reading manual's and other web pages, however I
> can't seem to find anything relevant to what I am trying to do. Probably
> this is just cause I'm new to this language and don't know where to
> look, so I am hoping for a few pointers to some helpful relevant links.
>
> Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.

You'll proberbly find this difficult, but the best service package I've seen
written in Ada is Ted Dennison's Seti@home service. Google for it, and try to
understand how it works, then reuse what you see fit

/Björn

> Thanks,
>
> Dave.

* Re: Windows Service (ADA)
@ 2004-11-18 10:00 ` David Amies
From: David Amies @ 2004-11-18 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just wanted to say thanks heaps to everyone who replied, I now have
the pointers I was after and am busily reading. Thanks these answers are
exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Dave.

In article <damies-1EB9F1.22372315112004@duster.adelaide.on.net>,