* preconditions rock
@ 2020-05-25  0:00 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just have to say that I'm really appreciating how much preconditions help during development; I'm get way better error messages when tests fail, so it is very easy to fix the problems.

I've also done some SPARK, but that's hard, and doesn't apply to the kind of code I'm writing now.

* Re: preconditions rock
@ 2020-05-25  2:48 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2020-05-25  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 5:00:57 PM UTC-7, Stephen Leake wrote:
> I just have to say that I'm really appreciating how much preconditions help during development; I'm get way better error messages when tests fail, so it is very easy to fix the problems.
>
> I've also done some SPARK, but that's hard, and doesn't apply to the kind of code I'm writing now.

Postconditions should get rock status, also.

Anh Vo

* Re: preconditions rock
@ 2020-05-25  8:24 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2020-05-25  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/25/20 2:00 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> I just have to say that I'm really appreciating how much preconditions help during development; I'm get way better error messages when tests fail, so it is very easy to fix the problems.

Certainly, but preconditions are a way of thinking during design to create
correct software. It's nice to have them directly supported in a language, but
they're nothing new. I used preconditions in Ada 83 over 30 years ago.

"Beyond 100,000 lines of code you
should probably be coding in Ada."
P. J. Plauger

* Re: preconditions rock
@ 2020-05-25 17:14   ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2020-05-25 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:24:26 AM UTC-7, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 5/25/20 2:00 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> > I just have to say that I'm really appreciating how much preconditions help during development; I'm get way better error messages when tests fail, so it is very easy to fix the problems.
>
> Certainly, but preconditions are a way of thinking during design to create
> correct software. It's nice to have them directly supported in a language, but
> they're nothing new. I used preconditions in Ada 83 over 30 years ago.

But now the precondition is elevated. In addition, the codes and comments are always in synchronization. This will be the music to the ears of maintainers.

Anh Vo