* X Window Screen builder for Ada
@ 1993-07-30 15:35 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!csn!col.hp.com!sdd.hp.com!cs
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!csn!col.hp.com!sdd.hp.com!cs @ 1993-07-30 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone recommend an X Window screen builder, application generator, or
other development tool that provides an interactive, graphical way for
the developer to design the various elelments in the user interface (windows,
menus, dialogs, etc.) and then generates the code framework that implements
the user interface. The tool must support SCO Open Desktop 3.2 and (now for
the catch) must generate Ada code compatible with the Alsys Ada compiler.

I know that there are a number of tools that will generate C and C++ code, but
this project requires that ALL code be written in Ada. Naturally the tool will
have to use a set of Ada to X bindings. I don't care if these come with the
tool or are a seperate product as long as they are compatible with ODT 3.2 and
The Alsys compiler. I'm not entirely certain that such a tool even exists, so
any leads - even if they are not exactly what I'm looking for - would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

	Dave Kessler
	grouptec@source.asset.com

* Re: X Window Screen builder for Ada
@ 1993-08-02 14:41 Jon Wilson, PRC
From: Jon Wilson, PRC @ 1993-08-02 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know of two examples which produce Ada code. EzX ( phone # ? )
and ScreenMachine ( Objective Interface Systems (703) 264-1900 ).

Whether or not they can support Alsys and SCO are topics better left
to the vendors (or helpful netters).

---
Jon R. Wilson                           Work: (205) 215-5477
Senior Computer Analyst                 Fax:  (205) 215-5522
PRC, Inc.                               jwilson@mtgy.gtegsc.com

   << << << Every disclaimer I can think of applies. >> >> >>

* Re: X Window Screen builder for Ada
@ 1993-08-02 15:48 David Tannen
From: David Tannen @ 1993-08-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article nd2@europa.eng.gtefsd.com, jwilson@mtgy.gtegsc.com (Jon Wilson, PRC)
 writes:
> I know of two examples which produce Ada code. EzX ( phone # ? )
> and ScreenMachine ( Objective Interface Systems (703) 264-1900 ).
>
> Whether or not they can support Alsys and SCO are topics better left
> to the vendors (or helpful netters).

Screen Machine does meet both of their requirements (as stated here).
I happen to know they don't want SM and are looking for something else.  (I
use to work their and I recommended SM.  I liked their tool.  At the time
no one on the team knew anything about X-Window which makes SM the perfect
choice.  Just my $0.02.)

[stuff deleted]

---
David Tannen
tannend@source.asset.com
tannen@tigger.geg.mot.com
-- "Dependance on wizardry to mitigate the fundamental limitations
--  of software is called 'hacking'."  Grady Booch.
--
-- Developing MS-Windows applications often requires 'wizardry'.

* Re: X Window Screen builder for Ada
@ 1993-08-04 14:09 Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1993-08-04 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On 30 Jul 93 15:35:34 GMT, grouptec@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Carl Hansen) said:
   Carl> Can anyone recommend an X Window screen builder, application
   Carl> generator, or other development tool that provides an
   Carl> interactive, graphical way for the developer to design the
   Carl> various elelments in the user interface (windows, menus,
   Carl> dialogs, etc.) and then generates the code framework that
   Carl> implements the user interface. The tool must support SCO Open
   Carl> Desktop 3.2 and (now for the catch) must generate Ada code
   Carl> compatible with the Alsys Ada compiler.

   Carl> I know that there are a number of tools that will generate C
   Carl> and C++ code, but this project requires that ALL code be
   Carl> written in Ada. Naturally the tool will have to use a set of
   Carl> Ada to X bindings. I don't care if these come with the tool
   Carl> or are a seperate product as long as they are compatible with
   Carl> ODT 3.2 and The Alsys compiler. I'm not entirely certain that
   Carl> such a tool even exists, so any leads - even if they are not
   Carl> exactly what I'm looking for - would be
   Carl> greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Give ICS a jingle (info@ics.com) and ask them about BX/Ada.  It is a
interactive screen builder that generates Ada code to go with the SERC
Ada bindings.

----------
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj@fuentez.com              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700
Software Engineer               Fairfax, VA 22033
                                Phone: (703)273-1447
                                Fax:   (703)273-2972

Standard disclaimers apply

* Re: X Window Screen builder for Ada
@ 1993-08-08 10:03 agate!spool.mu.edu!darwin.sura.net!sgiblab!munnari.oz.au!bruce.cs.monash.
From: agate!spool.mu.edu!darwin.sura.net!sgiblab!munnari.oz.au!bruce.cs.monash. @ 1993-08-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <23j926$nd2@europa.eng.gtefsd.com> jwilson@mtgy.gtegsc.com (Jon Wilson, PRC)
 writes:

As far as I am aware TeleSoft are releasing their TeleUSE product to generate
Ada code in Spring(US).  If it is released then and supports the system you
are using(I can't say whether it will or won't) it would be worth a look.

I am using the C generating version at the moment in an Ada project on HP-UX
and the Alsys compiler.  I am having to link across with pragmas and that is
working fine.  Only slight problem is our Comp Sci department here at
Swinburne bought it because they thought it did generate Ada code(they have no
clue) and I have been left to fix the problem of linking it to an Ada program.
Now our only problem is getting the program to connect to Oracle, but hey life
wasn't meant to be easy was it.

Just remembered, I was looking around its configuration files and I remember
one there for SCO I am pretty certain :-)(maybe).

Hope this helps.

Peter Allfrey.
Computer Science Student,
Swinburne University.