* Should I use Tagged Records to be able to use Object Notation?
@ 2013-11-29  8:17 FritzVonBraun
From: FritzVonBraun @ 2013-11-29  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if it is a usual practice to make a record tagged so
that it is possible to call procedures as object.procedure instead of
having to write package.procedure( object ).
I know that there is a slight overhead involved with the tag but it
would certainly be easier. Is this a common practice or not?

Thanks

* Re: Should I use Tagged Records to be able to use Object Notation?
@ 2013-11-29 16:58 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2013-11-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/29/2013 01:17 AM, FritzVonBraun wrote:
> I was wondering if it is a usual practice to make a record tagged so that it is
> possible to call procedures as object.procedure instead of having to write
> package.procedure( object ).
> I know that there is a slight overhead involved with the tag but it would
> certainly be easier. Is this a common practice or not?

It does seem to be common. You should also remember that tagged types are always
passed by reference, which may not be the case if the type is not tagged.

"We use a large, vibrating egg."
Annie Hall