From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Intermediate Representation
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 16:53:08 +0100
Date: 2020-04-01T16:53:08+01:00	[thread overview]

foo wong <crap@spellingbeewinnars.org> writes:

> I have been using GnuCOBOL extensively since 2013. One thing that I
> love about it is that it compiles to intermediate C.
>
> If you write a program, you can compile it to this, run ctags on the
> runtime and the intermediate C and then hop around jumping from the C
> function calls generated into the runtime to see how they are actually
> implemented.
>
> I would like to do the same with Ada. Is there a way? Using readelf, I
> was able to get some clues and looking at the .ali files I had a few
> more clues but so far it does not seem to be the same thing.

Try compiling with -gnatG; I found this very helpful when developing
Cortex GNAT RTS. You have to keep your wits about you!

Look at [1], from section Tasking. This was with GCC 4.9.1 for a
restricted runtime: the details, particularly task creation, vary a bit
between compiler releases.

[1] https://forward-in-code.blogspot.com/2015/06/building-runtime-system-for-arm-eabi.html