* Where Should as (Assembler) Be?
@ 2015-11-07  7:54 Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-11-07  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've posted about this before. This is a slightly different viewpoint.
I'm writing about a Mac G5 running OS X 10.5.8.

After recovering from a disk crash, I can no longer compile using
gnatmake. The process is unable to locate the assembler ("as"). During
the recovery, I had a lot of problems with file permissions. I suspect
that the assembler might be in a folder/directory for which I don't have
proper access. If I know where to look, I can see if it's there or not.

I have a disk image of the GNAT installer for OS X 10.4. (The disk that
crashed was on a G4 running OS X 10.4.11,) I've tried reinstalling with
no change in behavior. If I need to get the installer of OS X 10.5, I
don't know where to find it.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we

* Re: Where Should as (Assembler) Be?
@ 2015-11-07  8:42 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-11-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

> After recovering from a disk crash, I can no longer compile using
> gnatmake. The process is unable to locate the assembler ("as"). During
> the recovery, I had a lot of problems with file permissions. I suspect
> that the assembler might be in a folder/directory for which I don't
> have proper access. If I know where to look, I can see if it's there
> or not.

The command line tools would have been part of Xcode, so I'd start
looking there. Nowadays that'd probably be /Applications/Xcode.app (I'm
not sure because I only have the command line tools installed); I think
it used to be /Developer???

* Re: Where Should as (Assembler) Be?
@ 2015-11-09  9:09   ` briot.emmanuel
From: briot.emmanuel @ 2015-11-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

xcode-select --install    should do it.

I don't know which version will be installed on OS X 10.5.8, but new versions of Apple's
assembler no longer support some of the assembly instructions emitted by gcc, so it is
best if you can install a slightly older version.

* Re: Where Should as (Assembler) Be?
@ 2015-11-12  1:16     ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-11-12  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

<briot.emmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:

> xcode-select --install    should do it.
>
> I don't know which version will be installed on OS X 10.5.8, but new
> versions of Apple's assembler no longer support some of the assembly
> instructions emitted by gcc, so it is best if you can install a slightly
> older version.

Thanks for your help, but I don't understand this. Is it a Unix (Darwin)
command-line command? If so, what is the environment? I've tried it from
my home directory and get a "command not found" message.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-11-12 13:11       ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2015-11-12 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12.11.15 02:16, Charles H. Sampson wrote:
> <briot.emmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> xcode-select --install    should do it.
>>
>> I don't know which version will be installed on OS X 10.5.8, but new
>> versions of Apple's assembler no longer support some of the assembly
>> instructions emitted by gcc, so it is best if you can install a slightly
>> older version.
>
> Thanks for your help, but I don't understand this. Is it a Unix (Darwin)
> command-line command?

Yes,

DESCRIPTION
        xcode-select  controls  the  location  of  the developer
directory used by xcrun(1), xcodebuild(1), cc(1), and other Xcode
and BSD development tools. This also controls the locations that are
searched for by man(1) for developer tool manpages.

> If so, what is the environment? I've tried it from
> my home directory and get a "command not found" message.

I think there always was a command for selecting a version
of Apple's development tools, if installed. But the name may
have been different, I don't remember exactly; if it did
include "select" as a substring, then running the command

$ apropos select | grep '(1)'

should list it.

* Re: Where Should as (Assembler) Be?
@ 2015-11-12 16:22   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-11-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
>> After recovering from a disk crash, I can no longer compile using
>> gnatmake. The process is unable to locate the assembler ("as"). During
>> the recovery, I had a lot of problems with file permissions. I suspect
>> that the assembler might be in a folder/directory for which I don't
>> have proper access. If I know where to look, I can see if it's there
>> or not.
>
> The command line tools would have been part of Xcode, so I'd start
> looking there. Nowadays that'd probably be /Applications/Xcode.app (I'm
> not sure because I only have the command line tools installed); I think
> it used to be /Developer???

I don't know where the tools would be installed, but you can get Xcode 3.1.4
here:
https://developer.apple.com/downloads/
as described here:
http://meandmark.com/blog/2009/10/downloading-older-versions-of-xcode/
(you need a free Apple Developer Connection account)

Untick all but the Developer Tools checkbox, click twice on the
Description column header, click on the + next to Xcode 3.1.4 ...