* Ada for high speed rail control systems
@ 2013-07-01 15:01 trungtruc.nguyen.2012
From: trungtruc.nguyen.2012 @ 2013-07-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am an embedded software student (I don't know much about hardware). I would like to work in railway control systems. If someone works in this field, please tell me what I should learn? I have knowledge about real-time Ada (Concurrent : tasks, synchronisation et communications; scheduling...) but I don't know about hardware (chips, microprocessors...) can I work in this area?

Thanks in advance,

Truc

* Re: Ada for high speed rail control systems
@ 2013-07-01 18:00 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2013-07-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 01/07/2013 17:01, trungtruc.nguyen.2012@gmail.com a écrit :
> I am an embedded software student (I don't know much about hardware).
> I would like to work in railway control systems. If someone works in
> this field, please tell me what I should learn? I have knowledge
> about real-time Ada (Concurrent : tasks, synchronisation et
> communications; scheduling...) but I don't know about hardware
> (chips, microprocessors...) can I work in this area?

Sure, there is lot of software in trains, and (at least in France) a
high demand for developpers with Ada experience. What country are you
from (or want to work)?

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Ada for high speed rail control systems
@ 2013-07-05 21:20 ` Mike H
From: Mike H @ 2013-07-05 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <3e9d37b8-0314-474e-b819-6f15f104eaa9@googlegroups.com>,
trungtruc.nguyen.2012@gmail.com writes
>Hi,
>
>I am an embedded software student (I don't know much about hardware). I
>would like to work in railway control systems. If someone works in this
>field, please tell me what I should learn? I have knowledge about
>real-time Ada (Concurrent : tasks, synchronisation et communications;
>scheduling...) but I don't know about hardware (chips,
>microprocessors...) can I work in this area?

Google is your friend and 'ERTMS' (European Rail Traffic Management
System) might be as good a start point as any. If nothing else it will
give you a lot of relevant leads for background reading that may stand
you in good stead when it comes to job interviews. Also, it will do no
harm if, at the very least, you aware that there is something called BS
EN 50128 and something called BS EN 50159.

Be aware that ALL aspects of railway signalling and railway traffic
management are regarded as safety critical, so don't be blinkered into
concentrating on high speed modes to the exclusion of all else. In the
UK, the high speed commuter trains South East of London spend far more
time and far more miles on lines other than on HS1. In France, the TGVs
that serve the Mediterranean coast act as conventional stopping trains
beyond Montpellier and as run as the Spanish border.

If you are UK based and looking for a subject for a case study or
extended essay as part of your course work then the it might be useful
for you to know that The Cambrian Coast line in North Wales has been
used as the test bed for future adoption of ERTMS throughout the UK
network. The Cambrian Coast is a spectacular line from the point of view
of tourist traffic but steam specials are now banned and will remain so
until someone solves the problem of how to put the driver controls and
displays onto a steam locomotive foot-plate. Now there is a challenge
for you!

In stark contrast, a major player in the area of railway signalling has
used a volunteer run preserved steam railway (North Yorkshire Moors
Railway) in order to demonstrate an application that they would like to
be able to sell to the UK national network. Railways are unique in that
perfectly serviceable 19th and 20th century equipment is retained and
will continue to be used purely on the basis of a known and proven
history of safe operation. Do not be surprised to learn that it was not
easy prove that the miles of (expensive and vulnerable) copper wire that
are traditionally used to link pieces of 19th century signalling
apparatus could be replaced by a virtual links in a manner that would be
invisible to the signal man/woman in his/her cabin. With an element of
luck, if you ask a few questions of the right people, that is something
you might be allowed to see at first hand.

Good luck with your endeavours

--
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Mike Hopkins

* Re: Ada for high speed rail control systems
@ 2013-07-06  7:51 ` Mike H
From: Mike H @ 2013-07-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <3e9d37b8-0314-474e-b819-6f15f104eaa9@googlegroups.com>,
trungtruc.nguyen.2012@gmail.com writes
>Hi,
>
>I am an embedded software student (I don't know much about hardware). I
>would like to work in railway control systems. If someone works in this
>field, please tell me what I should learn? I have knowledge about
>real-time Ada (Concurrent : tasks, synchronisation et communications;
>scheduling...) but I don't know about hardware (chips,
>microprocessors...) can I work in this area?

The software level is where the real challenges lie. Take a look at the
"driver-less" Docklands Light Railway. It has had two major accidents,
both when a train was under manual control!

--
The thing I like best about the Internet is that no one
knows that, in reality, I am just another old dog!

* Re: Ada for high speed rail control systems
@ 2013-07-16 12:32   ` trungtruc.nguyen.2012
From: trungtruc.nguyen.2012 @ 2013-07-16 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 6 juillet 2013 09:51:24 UTC+2, Mike H a écrit :
> In message <3e9d37b8-0314-474e-b819-6f15f104eaa9@googlegroups.com>,
>
> trungtruc.nguyen.2012@gmail.com writes
>
> >Hi,
>

> >I am an embedded software student (I don't know much about hardware). I
>
> >would like to work in railway control systems. If someone works in this
>
> >field, please tell me what I should learn? I have knowledge about
>
> >real-time Ada (Concurrent : tasks, synchronisation et communications;
>
> >scheduling...) but I don't know about hardware (chips,
>
> >microprocessors...) can I work in this area?
>

> The software level is where the real challenges lie. Take a look at the
>
> "driver-less" Docklands Light Railway. It has had two major accidents,
>
> both when a train was under manual control!
>

> --
>
> The thing I like best about the Internet is that no one
>
> knows that, in reality, I am just another old dog!
>
> Mike Hopkins
Thanks, Mike. In fact, I'am in French, so working in TGV, metro domain is one of the my best choice. I searched some job offers, and their requirements are simply a programmer  with Ada programming experience, or sometime with experience in hardware. That's why I posted this question.
Thanks again.