* Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-22  6:43 J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2016-11-22  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

(with this capitalization)

http://hopl.info/showlanguage.prx?exp=6043&language=ADA

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog
Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00
http://www.adalog.fr

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-22 16:03 ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2016-11-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I found out yesterday, I guess via the same path as you did. :-)

But, alas, there is no link to a manual. :-(

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-22 16:19 ` Mr. Man-wai Chang
From: Mr. Man-wai Chang @ 2016-11-22 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada does NOT have a good, fast SQL database engine like Foxpro's Rushmore!

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-22 16:56   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2016-11-22 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:19:39 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
<toylet.toylet@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Ada does NOT have a good, fast SQL database engine like Foxpro's Rushmore!

	Why would it? Ada is a general purpose programming language originally
designed for embedded and safety critical uses. Database engines --
especially in client/server architectures -- are totally external to the
language. There should be at least one downloadable database access package
out there...

https://docs.adacore.com/gnatcoll-docs/sql.html

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-22 17:15   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-11-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-11-22 17:19, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Ada does NOT have a good, fast SQL database engine like Foxpro's Rushmore!

Sure. Why would anybody use SQL within any decent programming language?
SQL makes some sense only with an external DBMS. For an internal DBMS
there are much more efficient interfaces than ugly SQL. Provided the
DBMS is relational, because depending on the task there are more
efficient non-relational DBMS and persistence layers.

In any case there is no need to have SQL in the language. Ada perfectly
manages SQL RDBMS over bindings to ODBC or specific DB client bindings.

I maintain Ada ODBC bindings for external SQL DBMS:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm#ODBC_Bindings

For integrated file-based DBMS: SQLite bindings:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm#SQLite

For pure Ada file-based persistence:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm#Persistent.Blocking_Files.Transactional

A comparison Ada I/O vs. SQLite persistence:

http://ada-programming.blogspot.de

Ada is as fast you can make it.

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-23  4:13     ` Mr. Man-wai Chang
From: Mr. Man-wai Chang @ 2016-11-23  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/11/2016 1:15 AM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> Sure. Why would anybody use SQL within any decent programming language?
> SQL makes some sense only with an external DBMS. For an internal DBMS
> there are much more efficient interfaces than ugly SQL. Provided the
> DBMS is relational, because depending on the task there are more
> efficient non-relational DBMS and persistence layers.

Think standalone applications! Ada is totally useless in modern Window$
without a GUI DOM and a built-in SQL engine like Foxpro's Rushmore.

Find and talk to a *good* Visual Foxpro programmer in your area. Let
him/her show you how fast one could raise and build a business
application *from scratch*.

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-23  8:43       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-11-23  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/11/2016 05:13, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Find and talk to a *good* Visual Foxpro programmer in your area. Let
> him/her show you how fast one could raise and build a business
> application *from scratch*.

I thought FoxPro long dead and buried, never heard of it since 90's.

Anyway, we are using a lot of various DBMS for automation and production
systems from process data up to MES and ERP. Nobody of our customers has
FoxPro, sorry.

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-23  9:57       ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2016-11-23  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23.11.16 05:13, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Think standalone applications! Ada is totally useless in modern Window$ without a GUI DOM and a built-in SQL engine like Foxpro's Rushmore.

You seem to have limited insight into the spectrum of Windows
applications.

In both modern and traditional Windows™, Ada programs would
of course use the GUI as needed. The .NET version of GNAT
also offers integration with the latest, and its tools.
Packaging an app with SQLite as a full RDMBS is working
well, and gives you a standalone application. But!

In a modern business environment, application programs do *not*
typically stand alone, they are parts of a distributed application.
They  do use the network for shared data access etc, so standing
alone puts you in a corner, actually. Visual FoxPro did advertise
corresponding capabilities, so even there, "standalone" is a niche
argument to start with.

I'll not go on to what it means for an application to only run
in modern Windows™, or even just Windows™.

> Find and talk to a *good* Visual Foxpro programmer in your area. Let him/her show you how fast one could raise and build a business application *from scratch*.

First, there is a touch of slyness to building a business
application from scratch. Both businesses and business
applications typically rest on existing foundations, on site.

Second, things like FoxPro were languages made for massaging
a given business application programming library.  Now remove
the database aspect from the Foxpro language to see what remains.

--
"HOTDOGS ARE NOT BOOKMARKS"
Springfield Elementary teaching staff

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-23 10:17         ` Mr. Man-wai Chang
From: Mr. Man-wai Chang @ 2016-11-23 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/11/2016 5:57 PM, G.B. wrote:
> In a modern business environment, application programs do *not*
> typically stand alone, they are parts of a distributed application.
> They  do use the network for shared data access etc, so standing
> alone puts you in a corner, actually. Visual FoxPro did advertise
> corresponding capabilities, so even there, "standalone" is a niche
> argument to start with.
> I'll not go on to what it means for an application to only run
> in modern Windows™, or even just Windows™.

There are small business and shops that do NOT need online, web-based,
networked programs to do their minor, small, simple business. There is
no reason to force their "apps" connecting to the internet.

> Second, things like FoxPro were languages made for massaging
> a given business application programming library.  Now remove
> the database aspect from the Foxpro language to see what remains.

You really should see what Visual Foxpro could do.

* Re: Yes, there is an ADA language
@ 2016-11-23 16:12           ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2016-11-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23.11.16 11:17, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> There are small business and shops that do NOT need online, web-based, networked programs to do their minor, small, simple business.

That's no longer true in any country that requires businesses
to deliver tax related documents etc. electronically.
Shop owners could, however, print these, and then send them to
a tax advisor who then either scans them or processes them
manually so that he or she can deliver them electronically
in the end.

> There is no reason to force their "apps" connecting to the internet.

Nor, then, is there a lot of reason to write entirely new
applications: rather, it seems, that owners of small shops
have their old business software installed on a VM.

> You really should see what Visual Foxpro could do.

While not much of a statement either, I could mention that I
have an old Foxpro boxed on a shelf, but instead I'll ask:
Could you link to three convincing examples that do

- neither use the database part
- nor use Windows components

and are difficult to do using A# (Ada for .NET)?
I think it is telling that whatever was valuable in that
offering has been made available in VB or .NET, and hence
no longer requires Foxpro, the language.