* gtkada installation problem
@ 2016-11-23  1:00 Adam Jensen
From: Adam Jensen @ 2016-11-23  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to set up a software development environment based on
Adacore's GPL version of GNAT.

--------------------This part seems to be okay--------------------
I've installed:

AdaCore-Download-2016-11-08_2019-ARM-ELF-Linux.tar
into: /opt/gnat-arm

AdaCore-Download-2016-11-08_1717.tar
contains these:
gnatgpl  gprbuild  gtkada  sparkgpl

gnatgpl
into: /opt/gnat

gprbuild seems to be included in gnatgpl.

sparkgpl
into: /opt/spark2014

I've appropriately modified PATH and set it in ~/.bash_profile

       ****** THE PROBLEM IS HERE (with gtkada) ******

[hanzer@galileo7]$ cd gtkada-gpl-2016-x86_64-linux-bin
[hanzer@galileo7]$ sudo ./doinstall

  Enter the name of the directory in which you would like to install GtkAda

[/opt/gtkada]

  Are you now ready to proceed with the installation [Y/n] ? Y
Copying the Gtk+ binaries
Setting up the environment
Compiling GtkAda
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gprbuild... no
checking for gprinstall... no
configure: error: I could not find gprbuild. See the file 'INSTALL' for
more details.

An error occurred. Please see install.log.

The personal pronoun in the error message aside for the moment, gprbuild
is in the PATH and seems to be accessible:

[hanzer@galileo7]$ which gprbuild
/opt/gnat/bin/gprbuild

If I try:

[hanzer@galileo7]$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/gtkada
configure: --------- Summary for Gtkada 2016 -----------------
configure:   Shared libraries:       yes (default: static)
configure:   OpenGL:                 True
configure: --------------------------------------------

[hanzer@galileo7]$ make
gcc -c -g -O0 -gnaty-s -gnatwJ create_ui_manager.adb
gcc -c -g -O0 -gnaty-s -gnatwJ libart_demo.adb
gcc -c -g -O0 -gnaty-s -gnatwJ view_gl.adb
view_gl.gpb:3:06: file "gl_h.ads" not found
view_gl.gpb:5:06: file "gdk-gl.ads" not found
view_gl.gpb:10:06: file "glu_h.ads" not found
view_gl.gpb:11:06: file "gtk-glarea.ads" not found

   compilation of view_gl.adb failed

gprbuild: *** compilation phase failed
make: *** [tests] Error 4

Any ideas?

* Re: gtkada installation problem
@ 2016-11-23  8:52 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-11-23  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/11/2016 02:00, Adam Jensen wrote:
> I am trying to set up a software development environment based on
> Adacore's GPL version of GNAT.
[...]
> configure: error: I could not find gprbuild. See the file 'INSTALL' for
> more details.

I vaguely remember something like that. I believe I did "ln -s" from
gnatmake to gprbuild. It is also possible to install gprbuild from
another version. Sometimes that works too.

[...]
> view_gl.gpb:3:06: file "gl_h.ads" not found

I never managed to compile GtkAda with OpenGL. Do you really need it?
You can disable OpenGL in the configure.

BTW, I have packaged versions GtkAda GPL (without OpenGL) for some
targets here:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada.htm

* Re: gtkada installation problem
@ 2016-11-23 19:03   ` Adam Jensen
From: Adam Jensen @ 2016-11-23 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/23/2016 03:52 AM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
[snip]
> I vaguely remember something like that. I believe I did "ln -s" from
> gnatmake to gprbuild. It is also possible to install gprbuild from
> another version. Sometimes that works too.

gprbuild is available on this system. I suspect something is broken in
how the doinstall script or it expects information from the environment
that isn't setup correctly.

> I never managed to compile GtkAda with OpenGL. Do you really need it?
> You can disable OpenGL in the configure.

I don't know if I will need it. For the most part, I am looking at the
tool and the company, and generally assessing the technology and its
community/culture.

> BTW, I have packaged versions GtkAda GPL (without OpenGL) for some
> targets here:
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada.htm

Thanks. I've collected most of the source code that you've made
available on your website. I'll probably study it during the next few
weeks and probably use some of it to explore the GNAT tools (for
building and managing software). But I am a little hesitant to install
binaries from untrusted sources...

Besides, I think I managed to get gtkada installed (I haven't tested
it). For posterity:

[hanzer@galileo7]$ git clone https://github.com/AdaCore/gtkada.git
[hanzer@galileo7]$ cd gtkada/
[hanzer@galileo7]$ sudo ./doinstall

Gtk+ binary package not found. Aborting the installation process.

[hanzer@galileo7]$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/gtkada
configure: --------- Summary for Gtkada 18.0w -----------------
configure:   Shared libraries:       yes (default: static)
configure:   OpenGL:                 True
configure: --------------------------------------------

[hanzer@galileo7]$ make
...# Looks good.

[hanzer@galileo7]$ sudo make install

/opt/gnat/bin/gprinstall  -p -f --project-subdir=lib/gnat
--build-var=LIBRARY_TYPE --install-name=gtkada --prefix=/opt/gtkada
-XGTK_PREFIX=/opt/gtkada -XLIBRARY_TYPE=static-pic --build-name=static-pic \
	--sources-subdir=include/gtkada/gtkada.static-pic \
	--lib-subdir=lib/gtkada/gtkada.static-pic \
	-Psrc/gtkada.gpr
gprinstall: could not locate gprconfig for auto-configuration
make: *** [install/static-pic] Error 4

[hanzer@galileo7]$ which gprconfig
/opt/gnat/bin/gprconfig

[hanzer@galileo7]$ sudo make PATH=/opt/gnat/bin:$PATH install
--  GtkAda has now been installed.                                   --
--  To use the library, you may need to update LD_LIBRARY_PATH       --
--  or to run ldconfig. You may also need to update GPR_PROJECT_PATH --
--  to include                                                       --
--  /opt/gtkada/lib/gnat

# Success, it would seem...

* Re: gtkada installation problem
@ 2016-11-23 19:15     ` Adam Jensen
From: Adam Jensen @ 2016-11-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/23/2016 02:03 PM, Adam Jensen wrote:
> gprbuild is available on this system. I suspect something is broken in
> how the doinstall script or it expects information from the environment
> that isn't setup correctly.

Sometimes I wish news and email had revision/editing capabilities.

I was trying to say:

I suspect something is broken in the `doinstall` script or it expects

@ 2016-11-23 20:29     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-11-23 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Jensen <hanzer@riseup.net> writes:

> gprinstall: could not locate gprconfig for auto-configuration
> make: *** [install/static-pic] Error 4
>
> [hanzer@galileo7]$ which gprconfig
> /opt/gnat/bin/gprconfig
>
> [hanzer@galileo7]$ sudo make PATH=/opt/gnat/bin:$PATH install
> --  GtkAda has now been installed.                                   --

So sudo doesn't pass your PATH to the root shell that it invokes.

sudo -E, perhaps? (sudo 1.8.17p1 on macOS)

* Re: gtkada installation problem
@ 2016-11-23 20:36     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-11-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-11-23 20:03, Adam Jensen wrote:
> On 11/23/2016 03:52 AM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> [snip]
>> I vaguely remember something like that. I believe I did "ln -s" from
>> gnatmake to gprbuild. It is also possible to install gprbuild from
>> another version. Sometimes that works too.
>
> gprbuild is available on this system. I suspect something is broken in
> how the doinstall script or it expects information from the environment
> that isn't setup correctly.

AFAIK the script creates a small test program and test project and then
runs gprbuild on it. Does this work when you do it manually, e.g.
hello_world.adb + hello_world.gpr?

[...]
> # Success, it would seem...

I package GtkAda because I want to have it at usual places, conform to
the corresponding Linux distribution's policy, rather than under /opt/...

Normally I do this and wait until the official packages catch up.
Sometimes it takes time, sometimes it never happen, e.g. for CentOS.

It would be nice if AdaCore packaged GPLed GtkAda...