From: Wes Groleau <groleau+news@freeshell.org>
Subject: Re: Distributed compiles?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:48:10 -0500
Date: 2004-11-03T19:48:10-05:00	[thread overview]

ggroups@steelskies.com wrote:
> A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
> Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we could
> spread the load a bit...

With GNAT, you can specify gnatmake -j 5
and have five compiles running at once.

If you set it up (it's possible, check the docs)
so that when it calls 'gcc' it actually gets a
script that runs the job on another machine with
the real gcc.

And, since gnatmake is written in Ada, and compiled
with GNAT, which complies with the distributed systems
annex, it shouldn't be too hard for someone with some
time on their hands to modify gnatmake as follows:

   -j n  where n is a positive number, just like now

   -j "host1 host2 host3 host4"
         farms out the compiles on all those hosts
         (assumes mount points and paths are the same)

--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?