* Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-10-29  9:53 ggroups
From: ggroups @ 2004-10-29  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we could
spread the load a bit...

Jon

* Re: Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-10-29 10:50 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-10-29 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

ggroups@steelskies.com wrote:
> A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
> Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we
> could spread the load a bit...

Not quite what you're after but check out the "-j" option for GNAT (under
'6.2 switches for gnatmake'). On a twin Xeon machine this should give you 4
compilations in parrallel.

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-10-29 11:05 ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-10-29 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

<ggroups@steelskies.com> wrote in message
>A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
> Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we could
> spread the load a bit...
>
> Jon

I've never tried this but perhaps cook would be helpful

http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/5.html#5.2

* Re: Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-10-30 20:17 ` George Shapovalov
From: George Shapovalov @ 2004-10-30 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

ggroups@steelskies.com wrote:
> A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
> Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we could
efficientlye load a bit...

I guess you should be able to use distcc with later gnat or Ada-enabled gcc
(although I haven't tried it specifically with Ada code, but regular
compiles are distributed quite efficiantly).
Here is some info on how to setup this thing:
http://joetoscano.net/papers/distcc_howto.html

George

* Re: Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-10-30 20:21   ` George Shapovalov
From: George Shapovalov @ 2004-10-30 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Shapovalov wrote:
> Here is some info on how to setup this thing:
> http://joetoscano.net/papers/distcc_howto.html

Oops, did not notice that that was Gentoo specific :) (then I should have
pointed you directly at: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml),
although about the only change would be to substitute ./configure && make &&
make install for emerge.

The real distcc page is here:
http://distcc.samba.org/

George

* Re: Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-11-03 13:22 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-11-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

ggroups@steelskies.com wrote:
: A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
: Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we could
: spread the load a bit...

Not suggesting that you haven't already done so, still, could you
split the software into independent subsystems that are built separately
and then use some distributed file system?

* Re: Distributed compiles?
@ 2004-11-04  0:48 ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2004-11-04  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

ggroups@steelskies.com wrote:
> A long shot, I know, but are there any distributed compilers for Ada?
> Our build process takes a couple of hours and it would nice if we could
> spread the load a bit...

With GNAT, you can specify gnatmake -j 5
and have five compiles running at once.

If you set it up (it's possible, check the docs)
so that when it calls 'gcc' it actually gets a
script that runs the job on another machine with
the real gcc.

And, since gnatmake is written in Ada, and compiled
with GNAT, which complies with the distributed systems
annex, it shouldn't be too hard for someone with some
time on their hands to modify gnatmake as follows:

   -j n  where n is a positive number, just like now

   -j "host1 host2 host3 host4"
         farms out the compiles on all those hosts
         (assumes mount points and paths are the same)

--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?