From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel Syscall from Ada?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 15:59:19 -0500
Date: 2018-07-12T15:59:19-05:00	[thread overview]

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:e9c05e73-ea72-4fc5-a671-fecd3fdf0c11@googlegroups.com...
>One of the more succinct summaries of the legacy 8086, 32-bit x86, and
>64-bit x86-64:
>https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12806584/what-is-better-int-0x80-or-syscall
>
>Randy is mostly accurate:  interrupt 80?? has faded into antiquity and
>currently
>everything about system calls boils down to C subprograms.

Interesting; I've never seen anything about Linux system traps in the past.
That would make it easier to port Janus/Ada to Linux without having to
involve GCC (one would want an *option* to link with GCC, but ideally no
*requirement* to do that). The old SCO Unix compiler directly used system
traps to talk to the kernel; no C libraries were required. That meant it was
easy to create Ada programs just using Ada tools and there wasn't any
dependencies on anything else. That's not really practical for Windows, so
I'm surprised to find out that Linux is more like the old MS-DOS and Unix
systems in this regard.