From: Lucretia <laguest9000@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel Syscall from Ada?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-07-12T10:27:11-07:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 16:27:39 UTC+1, Dan'l Miller  wrote:

> Acquiring a copy of the standard instead (e.g., borrowing it from an engineering library at a university) would permit a fairly easy cleanroom reimplementation directly from the standard.  That re-implementation could provide Ada95, Ada2005, and Ada2012 personalities, perhaps going far beyond the standard for Ada2012.  But ultimately, the result is still an add-on layer to the C-language syscall …

If you do a search for that standard, you'll find some pdf's where they've talked about removing bindings because Ada has the same functionality in the library; don't they realise that you need those interfaces to create those api's in the Ada library??

> … I still think what would put Ada on the map via public fanfare would be an Ada-centric distribution of Linux (or BSD Unix for that matter, or both) that add a whole set of Ada-only syscalls in a new Ada-only syscall table to put Ada on 100% equal footing as C for Linux programming.  Not even C++ has that.  (What better way to compete with C++?)  Ada should walk confidently in through the front door.  In all the POSIX.2 (C API) areas of Linux syscalls, the Ada syscalls perhaps should be the POSIX.5 (Ada thick binding) verbatim (at least when in Ada95 mode).

Possible, I've thought a bit about that today.