From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: How to run a GNAT program without starting a terminal session
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 08:27:12 +0200
Date: 2018-07-18T08:27:12+02:00	[thread overview]

On 07/17/2018 11:10 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 9:20:58 AM UTC-7, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
>>
>> I don't know how much MacOS is like Linux, but with the latter, if I create a
>> menu entry for my program, there's a check box "Run in terminal". If I leave
>> that unchecked, I don't get a terminal window.
>
> This sounds interesting but I think I'm missing some context. What do you mean by "create a menu entry for my program" and where is the mentioned check box? Are you referring to GPS? If so, what switch does GPS change to make this happen?

No, this is part of the Linux desktop. In my case, I'm running Xubuntu. The task
bar (by default at the top of the screen) has a menu button that opens a menu
that lets you run programs. You can edit the menu, adding and removing menu
items. Existing menu items may be modified. The "Run in terminal" check box is
available when adding and editing menu items.

The menu items are technically "Launchers", things that launch programs. I think
you can also have launchers not in the menu, such as on the desktop, but I've
never used that.

Xubuntu uses the XFCE desktop; other flavors of Linux use other desktops, but
most have something similar. Since MacOS, like Linux, is Yet Another Version of
Unix (YAVU) with a graphical desktop, it probably has something similar.

"When Bell Labs were invited to evaluate C against the DoD requirements
[for Ada], they said that there was no chance of C meeting the
requirements of readability, safety, etc. for which we were striving,
and that it should not even be on the list of evaluated languages."
William Whitaker