* Using TDM-GCC with ADAGIDE and GWindows/GNATCOM
@ 2020-04-03 13:28 Fionn MacCumhaill
From: Fionn MacCumhaill @ 2020-04-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using the TDM-GCC 32-bit Ada compiler for several years now with the AdaGIDE IDE, which is now showing its age - it uses gnatmake for building. TDM-GCC has been stalled at the gcc 5.1 release until quite recently, when a gcc 9.2 release appeared.

For a long time, every binary gcc release for Windows that I have seen has been configured with --disable-win32-registry. In the gcc 5.1 release, the Ada compiler build ignored that option. Almost all of my development projects use GWindows and I have been using a Gwindows tool, gnatreg, which uses the Windows registry to let the Ada compiler organize directories containing various libraries. I have one which contains a set of highly-specialized extensions to GWindows; another one contains Dmitry Kazakov's Simple Components, and a few others.

At some point between gcc 5.1 and gcc 9.2, the Ada compiler went consistent with the rest of the gcc compilers and ditched the Windows registry.

I'm now trying to use environment variables like ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH, which I have created with the same directories that I used with gnatreg, but it appears that I need more than those - my first attempt to build a program with AdaGIDE failed with the Ada compiler trying unsuccessfully to compile pieces of GWindows and GNATCOM into the same directory as my program. I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure what it is. Ideas?

* Re: Using TDM-GCC with ADAGIDE and GWindows/GNATCOM
@ 2020-04-03 14:08 ` Fionn MacCumhaill
From: Fionn MacCumhaill @ 2020-04-03 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 8:28:09 AM UTC-5, Fionn MacCumhaill wrote:
> I have been using the TDM-GCC 32-bit Ada compiler for several years now with the AdaGIDE IDE, which is now showing its age - it uses gnatmake for building. TDM-GCC has been stalled at the gcc 5.1 release until quite recently, when a gcc 9.2 release appeared.
>
> For a long time, every binary gcc release for Windows that I have seen has been configured with --disable-win32-registry. In the gcc 5.1 release, the Ada compiler build ignored that option. Almost all of my development projects use GWindows and I have been using a Gwindows tool, gnatreg, which uses the Windows registry to let the Ada compiler organize directories containing various libraries. I have one which contains a set of highly-specialized extensions to GWindows; another one contains Dmitry Kazakov's Simple Components, and a few others.
>
> At some point between gcc 5.1 and gcc 9.2, the Ada compiler went consistent with the rest of the gcc compilers and ditched the Windows registry.
>
> I'm now trying to use environment variables like ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH, which I have created with the same directories that I used with gnatreg, but it appears that I need more than those - my first attempt to build a program with AdaGIDE failed with the Ada compiler trying unsuccessfully to compile pieces of GWindows and GNATCOM into the same directory as my program. I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure what it is. Ideas?

Problem is now solved - it's been too long since I had to use environment variables like these; Tweaking ADA_INCLUDE_PATH solved the problem.

* Re: Using TDM-GCC with ADAGIDE and GWindows/GNATCOM
@ 2020-04-08 12:13   ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2020-04-08 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den 2020-04-03 kl. 16:08, skrev Fionn MacCumhaill:

>> I'm now trying to use environment variables like ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH, which I have created with the same directories that I used with gnatreg, but it appears that I need more than those - my first attempt to build a program with AdaGIDE failed with the Ada compiler trying unsuccessfully to compile pieces of GWindows and GNATCOM into the same directory as my program. I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure what it is. Ideas?

You might want to create empty .ali files in the directories where you
want the .o files and then use flag  -i to gnatmake.

> Problem is now solved - it's been too long since I had to use environment variables like these; Tweaking ADA_INCLUDE_PATH solved the problem.

ok, good

--
Björn