* GNOGA - RFC UXStrings package.
@ 2020-05-11  8:59 Blady
From: Blady @ 2020-05-11  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Gnoga (https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga) internal character strings
implementation is based on both Ada types String and Unbounded_String.
The native Ada String encoding is Latin-1 whereas transactions with the
Javascript part are in UTF-8 encoding.

Some drawbacks come up, for instance, with internationalization of
programs (see Localize Gnoga demo
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/code/ci/dev_1.6/tree/demo/localize):

• several conversions between String and Unbounded_String objects
• it isn't usable out of Latin-1 character set, characters out of
Latin-1 set are blanked
• continuous conversions between Latin-1 and UTF-8, each sent and
received transaction between Ada and Javascript parts

Two ways of improvement: native dynamic length handling and Unicode support.

First possibility is using UTF-8 as internal implementation in
Unbounded_String objects. The simplest way but Gnoga uses many times
character indexes to parse Javascript messages that is not easy to
achieved with UTF-8 which may have several lengths to represent one
character. String parsing will be time consuming. Some combinations may
lead to incorrect UTF-8 representation.

Second possibility is to use Unbounded_Wide_String or
Unbounded_Wide_Wide_String. Using Unbounded_Wide_String is quite being
in the middle of the river might as well use Unbounded_Wide_Wide_String.
In this latter case the memory penalty is heavy for only few accentuated
character occurrences. So back to Unbounded_Wide_String but you'll miss
the so essential emojis ;-)

Third possibility is to make no choice between Latin-1, Wide and
Wide_Wide characters. The object shall adapt its inner implementation to
the actual content. For instance with English language the most often
use case will be Latin-1 inner implementation, for French language the
most often will be Latin-1 with some exceptions with BMP (Unicode Basic
Multilingual Plane) implementation such as in "cœur", for Greek language
the most often will be BMP implementation. The programmer won't make any
representation choice when for example receiving UTF-8 messages:

   S2 : UXString;
   S2 := "Received: " & From_UTF8 (Message);

Automatically S2 will adapt its inner representation to the received
characters.

Package named UXStrings (Unicode Extended String) is containing :
(see
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/code/ci/dev_1.6/tree/deps/uxstrings/src/uxstrings.ads)

The first part contains renaming statements of Ada types. Ada String
type is structurally an array of Latin-1 characters thus is renamed as
Latin_1_Character_Array. And so on.

The second part defines the USXString type as a tagged private type
which has got aspects such as Constant_Indexing, Variable_Indexing and
Iterable, so we can write:

   S1, S2, S3 : UXString;
   C          : Character;
   WC         : Wide_Character;
   WWC        : Wide_Wide_Character;
   C   := S1 (3);
   WC  := S1 (2);
   WWC := S1 (1);
   S1 (3) := WWC;
   S1 (2) := WC;
   S1 (1) := C;
   for I in S3 loop
      C   := S3 (I);
      WC  := S3 (I);
      WWC := S3 (I);
      Put_Line (Character'pos (C)'img & Wide_Character'pos (WC)'img &
Wide_Wide_Character'pos (WWC)'img);
   end loop;

The third part defines conversion functions between UXString and various
encoding such as Latin-1, BMP (USC-2), Unicode (USC-4), UTF-8 or UTF-16,
so we can write:

   S1  := From_Latin_1 ("blah blah");
   S2  := From_BMP ("une soirée passée à étudier la physique ω=Δθ/Δt...");
   S3  := From_Unicode ("une soirée passée à étudier les mathématiques
ℕ⊂𝕂...");
   Send (To_UTF_8 (S1) & To_UTF_8 (S3));

The fourth part defines various API coming from Unbounded_String such as
Append, "&", Slice, "=", Index and so on.

The private and implementation parts are not yet defined. One idea is to
use the XStrings from GNATColl.
(see
https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatcoll-core/blob/master/src/gnatcoll-strings_impl.ads)

Feel free to send feedback about UXStrings
(https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/code/ci/dev_1.6/tree/deps/uxstrings/src/uxstrings.ads)
specification source code on the forum or on Gnoga mailing list
(https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/mailman/gnoga-list).

Thanks, Pascal.
https://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr

* Re: GNOGA - RFC UXStrings package.
@ 2020-05-11 17:44 ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2020-05-11 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 4:59:33 AM UTC-4, Blady wrote:
> [...]
> so we can write:
>
>    S1  := From_Latin_1 ("blah blah");
>    S2  := From_BMP ("une soirée passée à étudier la physique ω=Δθ/Δt...");
>    S3  := From_Unicode ("une soirée passée à étudier les mathématiques
> ℕ⊂𝕂...");
>    Send (To_UTF_8 (S1) & To_UTF_8 (S3));
>
> The fourth part defines various API coming from Unbounded_String such as
> Append, "&", Slice, "=", Index and so on.
>
> The private and implementation parts are not yet defined. One idea is to
> use the XStrings from GNATColl.
> (see
> https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatcoll-core/blob/master/src/gnatcoll-strings_impl.ads)
>
> Feel free to send feedback about UXStrings
> (https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/code/ci/dev_1.6/tree/deps/uxstrings/src/uxstrings.ads)
> specification source code on the forum or on Gnoga mailing list

I would be hesitant to use gnatcoll directly.  The one nice
thing about Gnoga is that (at least previously), it tried not
to fully rely on GNAT.  Using gnatcoll would be a step in the
wrong direction in that respect.  From personal experience,
I used Gnoga to create a program for a GPU module using a variant
of linux.  If Gnoga suddenly started requiring gnatcoll, then
that program would no longer work as I was unable to get most
of Adacore's additional libraries to even compile in that variant
of linux.  This included gnatcoll.

Additionally, the library Gnoga already leverages (Simple
Components [1]) already has some UTF-8 functionality you
might be able to leverage.  You might check that out.

One other thing, if you are interested, you might send a
message to a fellow who goes by Entomy on github.  His
area of expertise is text parsing, localization, etc. and
he is experienced in Ada.  He might have some libraries
or tools you could leverage.  You could probably catch
him at his twitter pretty easily:
https://twitter.com/pkell7

[1]: http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/strings_edit.htm#Strings_Edit.UTF8.Maps.Unicode_Set

* Re: GNOGA - RFC UXStrings package.
@ 2020-05-12  8:13   ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2020-05-12  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 11/05/2020 à 19:44, Jere a écrit :
> On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 4:59:33 AM UTC-4, Blady wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Gnoga (https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga) internal character strings
>> implementation is based on both Ada types String and Unbounded_String.
>> The native Ada String encoding is Latin-1 whereas transactions with the
>> Javascript part are in UTF-8 encoding.
>>
>> Some drawbacks come up, for instance, with internationalization of
>> programs (see Localize Gnoga demo
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/code/ci/dev_1.6/tree/demo/localize):
>>
>> • several conversions between String and Unbounded_String objects
>> • it isn't usable out of Latin-1 character set, characters out of
>> Latin-1 set are blanked
>> • continuous conversions between Latin-1 and UTF-8, each sent and
>> received transaction between Ada and Javascript parts
>>
>> Two ways of improvement: native dynamic length handling and Unicode support.

>> Feel free to send feedback about UXStrings
>> (https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/code/ci/dev_1.6/tree/deps/uxstrings/src/uxstrings.ads)
>> specification source code on the forum or on Gnoga mailing list
>> (https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoga/mailman/gnoga-list).
>>
>> Thanks, Pascal.
>> https://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr
>
> I would be hesitant to use gnatcoll directly.  The one nice
> thing about Gnoga is that (at least previously), it tried not
> to fully rely on GNAT.  Using gnatcoll would be a step in the
> wrong direction in that respect.  From personal experience,
> I used Gnoga to create a program for a GPU module using a variant
> of linux.  If Gnoga suddenly started requiring gnatcoll, then
> that program would no longer work as I was unable to get most
> of Adacore's additional libraries to even compile in that variant
> of linux.  This included gnatcoll.
>
> Additionally, the library Gnoga already leverages (Simple
> Components [1]) already has some UTF-8 functionality you
> might be able to leverage.  You might check that out.
>
> One other thing, if you are interested, you might send a
> message to a fellow who goes by Entomy on github.  His
> area of expertise is text parsing, localization, etc. and
> he is experienced in Ada.  He might have some libraries
> or tools you could leverage.  You could probably catch
> him at his twitter pretty easily:
> https://twitter.com/pkell7
>

> [1]: http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/strings_edit.htm#Strings_Edit.UTF8.Maps.Unicode_Set

Hello Jere, I agree that GNATColl dependency would be too heavy for
Gnoga. At least GNATColl might be an inspiration for an implementation goal.

I've checked Simple Components, it might be completed with some parsing
functions in order to fulfill all Gnoga needs. But I think that UTF-8
(or UTF-16) internal representation would make too much penalties in
term of execution time which is critical for Gnoga as server.

That's why I would like to experiment some data structure with smart
character size (1, 2 or 4 bytes) and smart string length (either static
or dynamic).

Thanks for the Entomy pointer.

Regards, Pascal.

* Re: GNOGA - RFC UXStrings package.
@ 2020-05-12  9:35     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-05-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2020-05-12 10:13, Blady wrote:

> I've checked Simple Components, it might be completed with some parsing
> functions in order to fulfill all Gnoga needs.

You are welcome to ask.

I am not sure what kind of parsing you mean, most of nightmarish legacy
encodings are supported already, e.g.

    http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/strings_edit.htm#7.10

> But I think that UTF-8
> (or UTF-16) internal representation would make too much penalties in
> term of execution time which is critical for Gnoga as server.

Well, whatever minor overhead UTF-8 may have it is in order of many
magnitude less than Unbounded_String or what you do in your code for
UXStrings would inflict.

> That's why I would like to experiment some data structure with smart
> character size (1, 2 or 4 bytes) and smart string length (either static
> or dynamic).

When I am concerned about performance:

1. I make all content in UTF-8. I convert anything to UTF-8 first, if I
get it from outside.

2. I never use dynamically allocated strings in any form, never in the
standard memory pool. If I really, really need a pool, I use a custom
arena pool and allocate a String there. As a nice side effect the server
will be resilient all sorts of something-is-too-large attacks, no space
in the arena, drop connection, bye.

3. I never copy anything. Thus, again, never Unbounded_String, only
String and its slices.

4. I never tokenize anything. I walk down the string in a single pass,
notice start/stop indices of a token, pass a string slice down to a
semantic callback, better, pass it straight to a look-up table. No
string copies.

5. I never use Wide or Wide_Wide. They are mess and require conversions
=> copying => a lot of resources.