From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org>
Subject: Re: Implicit actions & program correctness
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 13:27:09 -0500
Date: 2020-05-15T13:27:09-05:00	[thread overview]

On 5/15/2020 12:45 PM, deadhacker wrote:
lar practices?  Have you been able to talk people into ending them?

> I guess another way to look at what I'm wondering is: In books about software engineering with Ada, I see lots of talk about correctness especially by moving bug detection to the compile phase.  How often can that actually be done?

This is because in Ada, since it is strongly typed language, the
compiler can find more bugs at compile time, (for example,
when adding apples to oranges) which in other languages might not be
found at compile time, or it might needs the right
set of compiler switches (if they exist) added to find these bugs.

It means in Ada one spends more time getting the program to correctly
compile with no errors.

But it also means there is less chance of run-time errors.

In other languages, one spends much less time getting the program
to compile and more time trying to find the bugs that show up
when the program runs.

--Nasser