From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Implicit actions & program correctness
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 21:03:37 +0200
Date: 2020-05-15T21:03:37+02:00	[thread overview]

On 5/15/20 7:45 PM, deadhacker wrote:

> It makes me wonder what experienced Ada programmers think of work done implicitly by a program.  Have you run into similar practices?  Have you been able to talk people into ending them?

I'm not clear what you mean by "implicit actions". In Ada, a lot can be done
automatically by the process called "elaboration". This is generally considered
a good thing. It's not uncommon for everything in significant programs to be
done by elaboration.

On the other hand, elaboration doesn't doe anything that isn't explicitly in the
code, so maybe it isn't what you're thinking about.

On the gripping hand, things like user-defined assignment and indexing and pre-
and post-condition testing might be considered implicit actions.

"Who wears beige to a bank robbery?"
Take the Money and Run