* ISAM
@ 2020-05-21 16:53 Norman Worth
From: Norman Worth @ 2020-05-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an Ada package or binding for ISAM?  I seem to remember one
many years ago, but I can't find anything now.

* Re: ISAM
@ 2020-05-21 17:55 ` Wesley Pan
From: Wesley Pan @ 2020-05-21 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 9:53:46 AM UTC-7, Norman Worth wrote:
> Is there an Ada package or binding for ISAM?  I seem to remember one
> many years ago, but I can't find anything now.

I think you are referring to the old ACM SigAda Ada Letters articles by Karl Kuberl and Wolfram Pietsch on their ISAM implementation. They are on the ACM webpage.

Here are the direct links to the PDF files (need to rotate the view 90deg, btw):

"A Portable Ada Implementation of Indexed Sequential Input-Output"
[Part 1/2] https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/381943.381955?download=true
[Part 2/2] https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/9305.9306?download=true

I only skimmed the articles. Doesn't appear to be a way to get their implementation... Maybe email them?

-Wesley Pan

* Re: ISAM
@ 2020-05-21 18:09 ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2020-05-21 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 21/05/2020 à 18:53, Norman Worth a écrit :
> Is there an Ada package or binding for ISAM?  I seem to remember one
> many years ago, but I can't find anything now.

Hi Norman,

From the outdated AIDE (Ada Instant Development Environment) source
repository... Nancy, a very kind person - and also a remarkable modern
painter - gave me permission¹, years ago, to distribute all the files
from her book.

I've just re-packaged this (and more) for you and all cla ng readers :

The Nancy Packages (LGPL licence) from her book (ISAM sources - Chap 09) :

https://stef.genesix.org/pub/ada/Files_structures_with_Ada.zip

Her near 500 pages book is really good (everyone interested in disk file
structures and btree indexes should have this book)... for six bucks wo
shipping :()

https://www.amazon.com/Structures-Benjamin-Cummings-Computer-Science/dp/0805304401

And... more here (mainly public domain but check licences - more btree,
paradox db and even a well documented dbase implementation with btree
index support):

https://stef.genesix.org/pub/ada/Sequential_Indexed_With_Ada.zip

Have fun.

Stef

¹
Stephane, Sorry to be so long in responding but we are home now and
adjusting to the change in time zones. The AIDE sounds very exciting.

We would be willing to give you permission to use the source code from
our book with the license of LGPL. I have completed the reference below
for you.

I'm not sure the book is listed on the publishing company's web page but
should be available if someone were to ask.

Les sources de ce répertoire proviennent de l'ouvrage :
The sources contained in this directory are coming from the book :

  File Structures With Ada
  Nancy E Miller and Charles G Petersen
  Alan Apt
  ISBN 0-8053-0440-1

  http://www2.netdoor.com/~petersen/nembooks
  http://www.aw-bc.com

  Avec l'autorisation de l'auteur.
  With the author's permission.

Nancy E Miller
*******@******.com (email protected for privacy respect)

> Here are the direct links to the PDF files (need to rotate the view 90deg, btw):

Thanks Wesley for the pointers. Rotate it and concatenate too :

https://stef.genesix.org/pub/ada/A_portable_Ada_implementation_of_index_sequential_input-output.pdf

--
Be Seeing You
Number Six