From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Are there any cross-compiler for Embedded Linux on ARMv7?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 20:26:47 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2021-03-29 19:16, John McCabe wrote:
> Kind of as it says in the subject; I'm aware there's a GNAT Pro release
> that seems to target Embedded Linux on ARM, but are there any others?
>
> I'm assuming the GNAT offering covers ARMv7 on the basis their bare-metal
> one packaged in the Community Edition does, but maybe it doesn't!
>
> I saw some information on a PTC ApexAda one but what I read gives the
> impression it may be ARMv8 only, maybe not though!
>
> If anyone knows more about this, any info they can give me would be very
> much appreciated; at this point I'm particularly interested in ARM A9
> support, and at least Ada 2005, preferably 2012.
>
> Also, does anyone know what AdaCore's like (or any other vendors, for
> that matter) if you ask for pricing/evaluation? We've been using C++ at
> work for ages, but I'm quite interested in seeing whether it would be at
> all feasible to move, at least partly, to Ada because C++ gets on my
> nerves :-) Sadly though, as we're busy and it would be an "on the side"
> evalaution, I've not got much time to 'play' with it, so the duration
> would be pretty much be open-ended, and I could do without people
> hassling me every few weeks to buy their products when the chances are
> I've managed about 10 minutes with it between calls...
>
> Hope you don't mind me asking here; I know there are some great guys from
> various vendors here, so...

We are using GNAT Pro cross compiler with Yokto and Debian, though I
presume it will work with any distribution.

You need no evaluation. Simply install Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora on a
resonable ARM board 2GB or more. Use the native GNAT FSF compiler there
to build your executable. Transfer it to the target board. Enjoy.

Once you are ready, go and buy GNAT Pro.