From: John McCabe <john@nospam.mccabe.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Are there any cross-compiler for Embedded Linux on ARMv7?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:14:30 -0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:46:20 -0700, Andreas ZEURCHER wrote:

> On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 12:16:46 PM UTC-5, John McCabe wrote:
>> <..snip..>

> The sales staff is pleasant to deal with,

That's good to know.

> but you might get sticker
> shock at the prices that they charge for non-GPLed supported products.

Possibly. It's been a long time since I knew the sort of prices these
things go for, but it was in the thousands of dollars range then. It
might still shock me though :-)

> As far as evaluation, I think that you are looking at it with the GPLed
> Community Edition, that is something that you should ask the salesman to
> see whether there is in fact any evaluation period for specific targets
> that are non-GPLed-only, not part of Community Edition.

I'm not sure the GPLed edition isn't much use for the target I'm looking
at, as it's fairly specific (as I mentioned in response to Dmitry, it's a
Zynq-7000/Petalinux combination), so I don't know if there's any way I
could use a non-cross compiler on there in a sensible way, but....

As far as evaluation goes, they do have a form that mentions it but it's
the duration thing that would be an issue. I've tried to cultivate an
interest in Ada amongst my colleagues (actually, my line manager's mostly
done FPGA stuff using VHDL so some of the bits I've shown him have been
'familiar'), but we don't have anyone free to concentrate on evaluating
something exclusively.