* CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2004-10-01  5:09 Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2004-10-01  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am looking for open source Ada bindings that work with gcc-3.4 and
doesn't require ORBit 1.0 (now obsolete).

Or is this a contradiction?

So far I have found:

adabroker-1.0pre4

* very old

* configure script gets confused and says gcc-3.4 is too old. I hacked
  out this check.

* seems to get confused by gcc C++ preprocessor output (the IDL
compiler preprocesses its input with the C++ preprocessor - is this
really standard IDL?).

e.g.

<built-in>:0:19 Error: An idl file name should have a ".idl" extension.

where it got confused and thought <built-in> was the filename. I
hacked out this error.

* included adasockets Makefile creates sockets.Constants.ads but
sockets-constants.ads is expected.

* uses internal GNAT unit System.Soft_Links (according to compiler message).
* dies with compiler error:

../support/adacompiler -c -g -O2 -I. -I. -I../adasockets/src -I../adasockets/src -L../adasockets/src  -fPIC -DPIC broca-protected_objects.adb -o .libs/broca-protected_objects.lo
broca-protected_objects.adb:37:12: warning: "System.Soft_Links" is an internal GNAT unit
broca-protected_objects.adb:37:12: warning: use of this unit is non-portable and version-dependent
broca-protected_objects.adb:124:35: ambiguous entry name
mv: cannot stat `tmp27758/broca-protected_objects.o': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `tmp27758/*.ali': No such file or directory

I replaced this line:
               Free := Free + Wait'Count;
with:
               Free := Free + Barrier_PO.Wait'Count;

I am not sure why "Wait" is ambiguous.

* seems like the best approach, despite the problems above.

* example "mostly" works.
--- cut ---
.../adabroker-1.0pre4/examples/echo >./client IOR:010000000d00000049444c3a4563686f3a312e300000000001000000000000003c000000010100000a0000003132372e302e302e3100fadb24000000010000001feb86a20100000001000000000000000c000000010000000100000000000000
I said : Hello Ada !
The object answered : Hello Ada !

raised PROGRAM_ERROR : Protected Object is finalized
--- cut ---

or

--- cut ---
.../adabroker-1.0pre4/examples/echo >./client
usage : client <IOR_string_from_server>|-i

raised PROGRAM_ERROR : Protected Object is finalized
--- cut ---

hmmmmm... What does this mean?  How do I find out what object it is
referring to? I guess I will keep fiddling. gdb shows the error occurs
after Ada_Main_Program returns and when Do_Finalize is called.

* What is the status of this package? Is this package still
  maintained? If so, where should I send bug fixes? If not, does it
  need a new maintainer?

GNACK-1.0

* old

* doesn't seem to support ORBit2 libraries.

* still trying to compile; last attempt I got elaboration circularity
  errors.

* Is a layer on top of C CORBA bindings on top of the ORBit1 library,
  which would appear a more complicated solution.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2004-10-01  5:46 ` Paul Duquennoy
From: Paul Duquennoy @ 2004-10-01  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-10-01 07:09:22 +0200, Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> said:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for open source Ada bindings that work with gcc-3.4 and
> doesn't require ORBit 1.0 (now obsolete).
>
> Or is this a contradiction?
>
> So far I have found:

go to at http://libre.act-europe.fr/ and take a look at PolyORB. I used
it very successfully in a project where Ada objects were used b a Java
program.

It is open source, fully written in Ada.

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2004-10-01  8:06   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2004-10-01  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Paul> go to at http://libre.act-europe.fr/ and take a look at
    Paul> PolyORB. I used it very successfully in a project where Ada
    Paul> objects were used b a Java program.

    Paul> It is open source, fully written in Ada.

Looks very good, thanks.
--

@ 2006-12-31 13:16 okellogg
From: okellogg @ 2006-12-31 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Version 1.2 of the GNU Ada CORBA Kit (GNACK) has been released.
Main feature of this version is the switch from ORBit-1 to to ORBit-2.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitada

Oliver M. Kellogg
-- okellogg at users dot sourceforge dot net

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2006-12-31 13:37 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-12-31 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

okellogg schrieb:

> Version 1.2 of the GNU Ada CORBA Kit (GNACK) has been released.
> Main feature of this version is the switch from ORBit-1 to to ORBit-2.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitada

Cool - I really got tired from compiling PolyORB - which usually ended
with an error message after an hour or so. So I have a look.

Martin

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2007-01-03 10:32   ` Jerome Hugues
From: Jerome Hugues @ 2007-01-03 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4597c76d$0$49199$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Martin Krischik wrote:
> okellogg schrieb:
>
>> Version 1.2 of the GNU Ada CORBA Kit (GNACK) has been released.
>> Main feature of this version is the switch from ORBit-1 to to ORBit-2.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitada
>
> Cool - I really got tired from compiling PolyORB - which usually ended
> with an error message after an hour or so. So I have a look.

It is sad we received no report on your issues. PolyORB compiles fine
every night with GCC 4.0.3, 4.1.1, GNAT GAP/GPL on my platforms ..

But I'd be interested by a comparison of the the two implementations,
in particular regarding the IDL to Ada mapping, to see if PolyORB
misses something.

Jerome

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2007-01-06 23:52     ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2007-01-06 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:32:24 +0000, Jerome Hugues wrote:

> In article <4597c76d$0$49199$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Martin Krischik wrote:
>> okellogg schrieb:
>>
>>> Version 1.2 of the GNU Ada CORBA Kit (GNACK) has been released.
>>> Main feature of this version is the switch from ORBit-1 to to ORBit-2.
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitada
>>
>> Cool - I really got tired from compiling PolyORB - which usually ended
>> with an error message after an hour or so. So I have a look.
>
> It is sad we received no report on your issues. PolyORB compiles fine
> every night with GCC 4.0.3, 4.1.1, GNAT GAP/GPL on my platforms ..

Hmmm.  I tried using PolyORB too, when I was having Annex E problems
with Glade.  I couldn't understand how to recode my application to
use CORBA with PolyORB.  Is there a *really* simple HOWTO for people
starting out with this technology?  It looked like a lot of work!
I had hoped that PolyORB would compile and run my Annex E application,
but the dsa personality appeared not to be included in a form which
would build with GNAT GPL 2006.

As I wrote here a few months ago, I did get my application running
under Glade with GNAT GPL 2006, but only by making significant
architectural compromises and work-arounds to avoid Glade problems.
Should I consider be considering moving to PolyORB/dsa?
--
Adrian

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2007-01-07 12:36       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-01-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley schrieb:
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:32:24 +0000, Jerome Hugues wrote:

>>> Cool - I really got tired from compiling PolyORB - which usually ended
>>> with an error message after an hour or so. So I have a look.
>> It is sad we received no report on your issues. PolyORB compiles fine
>> every night with GCC 4.0.3, 4.1.1, GNAT GAP/GPL on my platforms ..
>
> Hmmm.  I tried using PolyORB too, when I was having Annex E problems
> with Glade.  I couldn't understand how to recode my application to
> use CORBA with PolyORB.  Is there a *really* simple HOWTO for people
> starting out with this technology?

All I got is:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:CORBA

But I confess I never really finished it.

Martin

* Re: CORBA Ada bindings
@ 2007-01-08 11:49       ` Jerome Hugues
From: Jerome Hugues @ 2007-01-08 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pan.2007.01.06.23.51.45.673542@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk>, Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> Hmmm.  I tried using PolyORB too, when I was having Annex E problems
> with Glade.  I couldn't understand how to recode my application to
> use CORBA with PolyORB.  Is there a *really* simple HOWTO for people
> starting out with this technology?  It looked like a lot of work!

It is CORBA, so the prerequisite is to know a little bit of
CORBA. Then, there is a description of a basic echo program in the
User's Guide (in addition to what Martin wrote on wikipedia); and
several examples in the code.

Of course, the documentation could be extended, but only on the basis
of knowing the exact need you have. "simple" is hard to define. So
please, ask questions on appropriate mailing lists to discuss the
topics that require clarifications.

> I had hoped that PolyORB would compile and run my Annex E application,
> but the dsa personality appeared not to be included in a form which
> would build with GNAT GPL 2006.

Because it is not yet released.

--
Jerome