* Need info on SUBSYSTEMS
@ 1994-10-12 18:30 Tom Reddon
From: Tom Reddon @ 1994-10-12 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I having a hard time finding information on subsystems.
If you can explain what they are to me, I'd really appreciate it.

Please reply to me at tom@firstclass.unb.ca

Thanks, Tom Reddon

* Re: Need info on SUBSYSTEMS
@ 1994-10-18 18:58 ` Matthew C. Sargent
From: Matthew C. Sargent @ 1994-10-18 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37h9vc$lol@sol.sun.csd.unb.ca>, tom@firstclass.unb.ca (Tom
Reddon) wrote:

> I having a hard time finding information on subsystems.
> If you can explain what they are to me, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Please reply to me at tom@firstclass.unb.ca
>
> Thanks, Tom Reddon

If by "subsystems" you mean Rational Subsystems - they are part of our
(Rational Software Corp's) approach to software engineering. Our Rational
Apex tool supports the notion that large portions of a system should be
separate and have a clear interface. They should only interface other
subsystems as the design of the system requires. Subsystems are supported
by allowing the specification  of which Ada Specs are included in the
"interface" of the subsystem and which subsystems are "imported" by who.
Among other benefits, this concept allows subsystems to be developed
largely independently. A "subsystem" is similar to an Ada package; just at
a higher level.

I can send you more information if you care to read it.

TTFN

Matt

|                                 |                                 |
|Matthew C. Sargent               |             |                   |
|Rational Software Corporation    |          __/ \__                |
|sarge@Rational.com               |   -=======(_*_)=======-         |
|804-491-0372                     |         |       |               |
|804-425-5859 Fax                 |         O       O               |
|                                 |                                 |
|                                 | SuperSportster40/SuperTiger40   |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------
<Place standard disclaimer here>

* Re: Need info on SUBSYSTEMS
@ 1994-10-18 20:56   ` Bob Duff
From: Bob Duff @ 1994-10-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <sarge-1810941358560001@ohno.ppp.verdix.com>,
Matthew C. Sargent <sarge@Rational.Com> wrote:
>In article <37h9vc$lol@sol.sun.csd.unb.ca>, tom@firstclass.unb.ca (Tom
>Reddon) wrote:
>
>> I having a hard time finding information on subsystems.

>If by "subsystems" you mean Rational Subsystems - they are part of our
>(Rational Software Corp's) approach to software engineering. ...

We also use the term "subsystem" in Ada 9X to refer to a library unit,
plus all of its child units and grandchild units and so on.

- Bob
--
Bob Duff                                bobduff@inmet.com
Oak Tree Software, Inc.

* Re: Need info on SUBSYSTEMS
@ 1994-10-18 22:36     ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-10-18 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CxvzI9.GsF@inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
Bob Duff <bobduff@dsd.camb.inmet.com> wrote:
>In article <sarge-1810941358560001@ohno.ppp.verdix.com>,
>Matthew C. Sargent <sarge@Rational.Com> wrote:
>>In article <37h9vc$lol@sol.sun.csd.unb.ca>, tom@firstclass.unb.ca (Tom
>>Reddon) wrote:
>>
>>> I having a hard time finding information on subsystems.
>
>>If by "subsystems" you mean Rational Subsystems - they are part of our
>>(Rational Software Corp's) approach to software engineering. ...
>
>We also use the term "subsystem" in Ada 9X to refer to a library unit,
>plus all of its child units and grandchild units and so on.

A bit of unfortunate overloading, but unavoidable, I suppose.  A
"Rational" Subsystem means something more (views, multiple versions
of packages/children), etc.  I agree, however, that it is reasonable
(more than reasonable) to call a hierarchy of packages (properly
organized) as a "subsystem".  Perhaps Rational will have to rename
their stuff :-)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada

* Re: Need info on SUBSYSTEMS
@ 1994-10-19  9:50 Simtel20 Transfer
From: Simtel20 Transfer @ 1994-10-19  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Sargent writes:
If by "subsystems" you mean Rational Subsystems - they are part of our
(Rational Software Corp's) approach to software engineering. Our Rational
Apex tool supports the notion that large portions of a system should be
separate and have a clear interface. They should only interface other
subsystems as the design of the system requires. Subsystems are supported
by allowing the specification  of which Ada Specs are included in the
"interface" of the subsystem and which subsystems are "imported" by who.
Among other benefits, this concept allows subsystems to be developed
largely independently. A "subsystem" is similar to an Ada package; just at
a higher level.

I can send you more information if you care to read it.

The notion of partitioning a system into subsystems is tried
and true.  The notion of partitioning software into subsystems
is also tried and true BUT it seems to me that partitioning
Ada code is not a true partitioning because they code subsystems
share a common resource manager, the Ada Runtime Environment.
When partitioning software into programs, each program can
be assigned resources to be managed by the OS at runtime.
I don't see how, in Ada, you can assign resources among
"Rational Subsystems" unless maybe you have extended your
runtime to allow this and used pragmas to express it.

Yes, I care to read more on this aspect of Rational Subsystems.
Please post something here if you have time.  Thanks.
sam harbaugh HARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU

* Re: Need info on SUBSYSTEMS
@ 1994-10-19 16:10     ` Matthew C. Sargent
From: Matthew C. Sargent @ 1994-10-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CxvzI9.GsF@inmet.camb.inmet.com>, bobduff@dsd.camb.inmet.com
(Bob Duff) wrote:

> In article <sarge-1810941358560001@ohno.ppp.verdix.com>,
> Matthew C. Sargent <sarge@Rational.Com> wrote:
> >In article <37h9vc$lol@sol.sun.csd.unb.ca>, tom@firstclass.unb.ca (Tom
> >Reddon) wrote:
> >
> >> I having a hard time finding information on subsystems.
>
> >If by "subsystems" you mean Rational Subsystems - they are part of our
> >(Rational Software Corp's) approach to software engineering. ...
>
> We also use the term "subsystem" in Ada 9X to refer to a library unit,
> plus all of its child units and grandchild units and so on.

Oh Yeah - maybe that was what he was asking :-) thanks, Bob