* Advocacy: Do you have an Ada 83 compiler for IBM's MVS?
@ 2009-08-13 11:46 invalid
From: invalid @ 2009-08-13 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ada Community!

There is an outstanding Ada advocacy opportunity and a chance for some good
free PR if you have an Ada 83 compiler with an IBM MVS (24 bit addressing,
S/370 mode) host/target.

As you may be aware, some time ago IBM Corporation released their MVS 3.8J
operating system into the public domain. This is a very old operating system
dating from about 1979-1981 which a community of thousands of hobbyists are
now actively using for learning and development under the Hercules mainframe
emulator (http://www.hercules-390.org).

Hercules is not a production platform because IBM has not permitted licensed
copies of operating systems to run on the Hercules emulator. Furthermore,
the freely available version of MVS 3.8J the hobbyists use is not capable of
running modern workloads since it uses an architecture which is 3
generations old and lacks many important technical features essential for
today's enterprise computing.

There should be no concern that donating an Ada compiler to the community or
making one freely available will have any economic impact to your business
(except for the new fans of the Ada language you'll make who may well wind
up encouraging their employers to look into buying your products!)

Compilers which are available today on MVS 3.8J include IBM's assembler,
FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, and PL/I compilers, all dating from the 1960-1980
period. And Ada 83 compiler would be an outstanding addition and a great way
to introduce this classic, foundation HLL to many people who have no prior
experience with Ada, as well as providing people who used Ada from the
beginning an opportunity to enjoy programming with it again on a vintage
platform.

If you have an Ada 83 compiler that runs on IBM's 24 bit operating systems
you have a wonderful opportunity to expose your company, products, and the
Ada language to an enthusiastic community of developers, systems
programmers, and students, located around the world.

Please respond to the newsgroup or see the posting headers for contact
information.

Thank you!

(I am not affiliated with IBM or the Hercules project.)

* Re: Advocacy: Do you have an Ada 83 compiler for IBM's MVS?
@ 2009-08-13 12:20 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-08-13 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

The only Ada compiler for S/370 I am aware of is OC Systems':

http://www.ocsystems.com/prod_legacyada.html

As I don't know whether they follow comp.lang.ada or not, I suggest
you forward your mail to them.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Advocacy: Do you have an Ada 83 compiler for IBM's MVS?
@ 2009-08-13 13:22 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2009-08-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

invalid@domain.invalid writes:

> There is an outstanding Ada advocacy opportunity and a chance for some good
> free PR if you have an Ada 83 compiler with an IBM MVS (24 bit addressing,
> S/370 mode) host/target.

You might want to contact SofCheck.  I think they might have an
Ada 83 compiler for that OS.

- Bob

* Re: Advocacy: Do you have an Ada 83 compiler for IBM's MVS?
@ 2009-08-13 14:25   ` invalid
From: invalid @ 2009-08-13 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2009-08-13, Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:
> You might want to contact SofCheck.  I think they might have an
> Ada 83 compiler for that OS.
>
> - Bob

Thank you, I emailed them based on your suggestion.