* ANN: HTTP file server v1.0-beta1
@ 2014-07-07 20:43 Natasha Kerensikova
From: Natasha Kerensikova @ 2014-07-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I had stopped posting announcement about my personal projects here
because it seemed useless and made me feel like a lunatic rambling in
the desert about things completely disconnected from reality. But now
I'm trying very hard to convince myself that there's a small possibility
that somebody here might find it useful.

So this is a program based on AWS, meant to solve the problem of
transferring a file from one computer to another, when the most
convenient way to do so is using an intermediary HTTP server (e.g. when
both computer are deep behind NAT routers and/or stringent firewalls).
That fact it happens so often is a testament to the sad state of IT
nowadays.

And it obviously requires the ability to run a custom HTTP server, which
unfortunately restricts severely the potential audience.

More specifically, it is designed for the following scenarios:
 1. the service owner wants to make a file available to one or several
    people, sharing a download link,
 2. anybody wants to send a file to the service owner

while avoiding abuse, modelled as the following scenario:
 3. somebody makes a file available to somebody else without knowledge
    or consent from the service owner.

To achieve this, the uploader can only access a report page, to ensure
the file has been correctly uploaded. To compute the download link, a
server-wide secret is required, presumably only known by the service
owner.

More details are available on the full-length project description page,
on the official fossil repository page at
http://fossil.instinctive.fr/simple-webapps/doc/tip/README.md
and on the GitHub mirror at
https://github.com/faelys/simple-webapps

This version is labelled "beta" because I have been running it in
production for a while now, without finding any fault, but so far to the
best of my knowledge nobody else has tried it, and the fact that by
myself I haven't found any bug in my own code does not mean much.

So if you're interested in the application, please let me know, I will
gladly consider any bug report or feature request.

If not, would please at least have a look at the documentation pages I
linked above, and tell me whether it's clear and makes sense and allows
someone to deploy it, or whether there are some parts obscure or
missing.

I would also gladly read any comments or reviews about my code or the
concept, but that's much more than I dare hoping.

Thanks for your attention,
Natasha

* Re: ANN: HTTP file server v1.0-beta1
@ 2014-07-09  8:05 ` kug1977
From: kug1977 @ 2014-07-09  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 7. Juli 2014 22:43:27 UTC+2 schrieb Natasha Kerensikova:
> I had stopped posting announcement about my personal projects here
> because it seemed useless and made me feel like a lunatic rambling in
> the desert about things completely disconnected from reality.

Hi Natasha, I liked to see someone is using AWS and getting some examples doesn't hurt at all. So your effort is appriciated. -kug1977

* Re: ANN: HTTP file server v1.0-beta1
@ 2014-07-09  9:33   ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2014-07-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:05:41 AM UTC+2, kug...@web.de wrote:
> Am Montag, 7. Juli 2014 22:43:27 UTC+2 schrieb Natasha Kerensikova:
>
> > I had stopped posting announcement about my personal projects here
> > because it seemed useless and made me feel like a lunatic rambling in
> > the desert about things completely disconnected from reality.
>

> Hi Natasha, I liked to see someone is using AWS and getting
> some examples doesn't hurt at all. So your effort is appriciated. -kug1977

I would like to add that in general (IMHO) this kind of announcements are nice, as long as they are done in a discrete an unobtrusive way (as yours, Natasha).  Moreover, they show that there is some activity going on.  Also, it is nice to let other people know about your results, otherwise they are bound to remain in your closet/disk.

Sometimes some projects can be somehow "personal" and relative to a small niche, nevertheless a discrete announcement does not disturb and... you never know.

Riccardo

* Re: ANN: HTTP file server v1.0-beta1
@ 2014-07-10  6:47     ` Natasha Kerensikova
From: Natasha Kerensikova @ 2014-07-10  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On 2014-07-09, mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:05:41 AM UTC+2, kug...@web.de wrote:
>> Am Montag, 7. Juli 2014 22:43:27 UTC+2 schrieb Natasha Kerensikova:
> >
> > > I had stopped posting announcement about my personal projects here
> > > because it seemed useless and made me feel like a lunatic rambling in
> > > the desert about things completely disconnected from reality.
> >
> > Hi Natasha, I liked to see someone is using AWS and getting
> > some examples doesn't hurt at all. So your effort is appriciated. -kug1977
>
> I would like to add that in general (IMHO) this kind of announcements
> are nice, as long as they are done in a discrete an unobtrusive way
> (as yours, Natasha).

Thanks a lot to both of you for the kind words, it's really
heartwarming.

>  Moreover, they show that there is some activity going on.  Also, it
>  is nice to let other people know about your results, otherwise they
>  are bound to remain in your closet/disk.

There is still my GitHub page to discover what I wrote, and there are
not that many Ada projects in there to drown in search results...

> Sometimes some projects can be somehow "personal" and relative to a
> small niche, nevertheless a discrete announcement does not disturb
> and... you never know.

OK, so I'll continue with the announcements then, until I'm told
otherwise.

Natasha