* "Ada For Software Engineers: Second Edition With Ada 2005" - Anyone read it?
@ 2009-07-13 16:03 John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2009-07-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was considering buying Barnes's "Programming in Ada 2005" to along
with my Burns etc "Concurrent blah blah" but I noticed on Amazon that
M. Ben-Ari has come up with a second edition of his book.

Has anyone read that book and, if so, how does it compare to Barnes?

While wishing no disrespect to Mr Barnes, I always felt his Ada and
Ada 95 books were overshadowed by e.g Cohen's "Ada As A Second
Language" as a guide to someone who has a reasonable amount of
experience in developing computer software.

I'd be interested in knowing how M. Ben-Ari's book compares.

Any views would be gratefully appreciated.

John

* Re: "Ada For Software Engineers: Second Edition With Ada 2005" - Anyone read it?
@ 2009-07-14 11:54 ` Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester
From: Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester @ 2009-07-14 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2009-07-13, John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
|"I was considering buying Barnes's "Programming in Ada 2005" to along|
|with my Burns etc "Concurrent blah blah" but I noticed on Amazon that|
|M. Ben-Ari has come up with a second edition of his book.            |
|Has anyone read that book and, if so, how does it compare to Barnes? |
|[..]                                                                 |
|I'd be interested in knowing how M. Ben-Ari's book compares.         |
|Any views would be gratefully appreciated."                          |

This is the first I have heard of the 2009 edition of "Ada for
Software Engineers". I have not read any of its editions.

I had read some sections of the gratis version of his "Understanding
Programming Languages" from
HTTP://STWWW.Weizmann.ac.Il/g-cs/benari/books/index.html#upl
which seemed to be fairly good, in which he expressed a preference for
ML followed by Ada 95, though it and a number of books by ML advocates
which I have read completely and the variants of ML (not just the
variants of plain ML, but also JoCaml; G'Caml; Gaml; Caml; Objective
Caml; Chamau; BIGLOO; HimML; CeML; and Gaml) do not convince me that
ML is necessarily better than Ada.

WWW.Springer.com/computer/book/978-1-84882-313-6
does not indicate that there is truly a uniform approach in the 2009
book:
"[..]

Ada for Software Engineers
Ben-Ari, Mordechai
[..]
Ada is the programming language of choice for high integrity software
systems and is used extensively in industries such as transportation
and aerospace. [..]
* Object-oriented programming, concurrency, and embedded and real-time
systems are emphasized.
[..]"

I would suggest getting gratis text from
HTTP://STWWW.Weizmann.ac.Il/g-cs/benari/books/index.html#upl
and if you are pleased with it, then it might be worthwhile buying the
new book.

With best regards,
Colin Paul Gloster

* Re: "Ada For Software Engineers: Second Edition With Ada 2005" - Anyone read it?
@ 2009-07-14 13:16 ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2009-07-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I could recommend Barnes book as a good introduction to Ada 2005 since
it explains the new features in the language well.
Don't go for any Ada95 books since they only covers Ada95 and there are
quite a bit of news in the language.
The books discusses different aspects and are good complements to each
other, but i would recommend Barnes book as the starter since that book
covers the basic aspects.

/Per