From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: addr2line i mingw gcc 4.4.0
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:28:32 -0400
Date: 2009-06-27T07:28:32-04:00	[thread overview]

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Bj�rn Lundin wrote on comp.lang.ada:

>> > Could you just copy from there?
>>
>> Should perhaps mentioned that I already tried that. Links OK but gives
>> Program_Error at runtime,
>> some Access_Violation thingy
>> Also, I would prefer to have it from the gcc I'm using
>
> libaddr2line.a is an invention from AdaCore several years ago; it is a
> patch against the program "addr2line" in certain versions of binutils,
> not GCC.  I am not aware of any binary distribution of it apart from
> AdaCore's own.  In Debian, I've patched GCC so that it supports
> symbolic tracebacks by calling addr2line in an external process rather
> than using libaddr2line in-process.  An early version of this patch
> was in the Ada for Linux Team distribution by J�rgen Pfeiffer for Red
> Hat Linux 6 (in 1999).
>
> So, I think you can have symbolic tracebacks in mingw in one of two
> ways: patch binutils to build libaddr2line.a then link libgnat against
> it; or patch libgnat to use the same method as on Debian.

A third alternative is to output numeric traceback from the failing
program, and then use addr2line (the program) to get the symbolic
traceback in a separate manual step.

I use this approach. It reduces the amount of output significantly;
there are many times that a traceback is generated by I don't want to
peruse it.

Ludovic's approach simply automates this.

--
-- Stephe